The Student Room Group

2017 Investment Banking Graduate scheme

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone else completed the online business insight assessment for Barclays and not heard back regarding the online interview after that ? as the online interview seems to be an automatic invite
Original post by juventus100
do you guys know what the 'relationship coverage' division is in HSBC Global Banking?
Is it basically private banking/wealth management, or more related to IB in general? so i.e you help IBD sell/present their products :confused:

and yeah agree they've separated the divisions into weird options , no idea why its like that

No, it's a standard Industry Coverage Team if you're referring to CRM (Coverage Relationship Management)? They are effectively the industry experts that are suppose to manage the corporate client relationships and originate business for the IBD (DCM, ECM, Leveraged Finance, M&A etc.) They tend to do less modelling for example is one key difference but also have better hours and similar pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jlm_really
Has anyone else completed the online business insight assessment for Barclays and not heard back regarding the online interview after that ? as the online interview seems to be an automatic invite

Yes, loads of people have not got the invite.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
Yes, loads of people have not got the invite.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is quite strange and as the recruitment is rolling it does not help! :frown:
is there a specific Barclays recruitment contact for the uk only ?
i know there are the general barclays hr emails but i don't think anyone will get back on those
Original post by whitepalms
Does anyone know why HSBC gives you such weird options under "Which area of Investment Banking are you most interested in?"?

They have the following options:

- Corporates (=industry coverage?)
- Advisory (=M&A?), FIG and Public sector
- ECM, Leveraged finance and Financial sponsors
- DCM, Infa and real estate

This seems very random. Why is Leveraged Finance and ECM together? Those areas are pretty different. And why is Advisory with FIG and Public sector? They are mixing products and industry groups. I guess those aren't actual business units, so are they just forcing you to pick something and then it's just luck where you end up? I doesn't make any sense to me, e.g. someone that is interested in debt might chooses the last two options but then ends up in ECM and has nothing to do with debt.

Apparently for HSBC, this is the 'pool' you will be placed in and they are categorised like that. So you could rotate around Advisory, FIG and Public Sector. It doesn't mean you can't rotate around other areas, it's just easier to rotate around those you're in the same 'pool' with. The idea being you become a well-rounded banker, rather than an M&A monkey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone,

I'm currently applying for industrial placements to IBs. JP Morgan and Nomura only offer 12-month placements in operations.
If i were to do these placements and perform well, do you think they'll accept me onto a summer internship in a front office role instead of operations again?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm completing goldman's application and under 'education - current' i have input details of my masters (which i am starting next week) but they have a mandatory field in relation to grades. I cant give a grade at this stage.. Does that mean i have to give details about my bachelors even though its not my current education?
Anyway around this? Anyone have the same issue?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by whitepalms
Does anyone know why HSBC gives you such weird options under "Which area of Investment Banking are you most interested in?"?

They have the following options:

- Corporates (=industry coverage?)
- Advisory (=M&A?), FIG and Public sector
- ECM, Leveraged finance and Financial sponsors
- DCM, Infa and real estate

This seems very random. Why is Leveraged Finance and ECM together? Those areas are pretty different. And why is Advisory with FIG and Public sector? They are mixing products and industry groups. I guess those aren't actual business units, so are they just forcing you to pick something and then it's just luck where you end up? I doesn't make any sense to me, e.g. someone that is interested in debt might chooses the last two options but then ends up in ECM and has nothing to do with debt.

They thought it was great banter. Maybe it's intentional, to trip applicants up..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by souman
I'm completing goldman's application and under 'education - current' i have input details of my masters (which i am starting next week) but they have a mandatory field in relation to grades. I cant give a grade at this stage.. Does that mean i have to give details about my bachelors even though its not my current education?
Anyway around this? Anyone have the same issue?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

put 4.0 or your bachelor GPA
Anyone know about RBC? For most of their divisions it says 'Currently no opportunities for 2017'. Although they do have some open for Finance and Global Investment Banking. Have these other divisions opened and closed already? Or are they not recruiting? Or will they be opening up?
Just to confirm...

BAML definitely isn't hiring for Graduate roles or Off-Cycle IBD in London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does HSBC screen before sending the tests?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
Does HSBC screen before sending the tests?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They screened basics last year (UCAS, Degree 2.1, eligibility etc)
Deutsche bank is cutting 30,000 jobs in the next two years. Deutsche is basically messed up atm. However that being said i have done numerical tesr for deustche for trading summer internship, been about 2 weeks nothing yet. I emailed them and they said we should get a reply within 4 weeks of completing the numerical test.
Original post by jlm_really
Ohh okay as I completed the test on Friday but still have not heard back regarding the online interview.
Pretty sure I have failed it then :frown:

Im about to do the business insight assessment.. Was it hard? Any tips?
Original post by Gman786

It's not hard, just long. Make sure you read the question carefully and go through all the available data before answering. Allow at least 90 minutes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gman786

It is deceptively simple and extremely long. I found the combination of an SJT with a numerical kind of odd! They state that it should take ~50 minutes but it took me about an hour and twenty. Read each question carefully, look through the given material and take your time.
Anyone else get a rejection email for IB from Citi today? Guess they filled up all the places using summer interns...
Original post by Thomas9853
Anyone else get a rejection email for IB from Citi today? Guess they filled up all the places using summer interns...

Was this rejection before or after the numerical reasoning?

Quick Reply

Latest