The Student Room Group

Is it beautiful to be poor?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Atreus
Living in London on 40k isn't rich by any means, after all bills are paid and taxes deducted that's not even that much.

Yeah that's true. You need a lot more than that to even buy a house in London.
Reply 61
Original post by Reue
It's more than enough for a very reasonable life. Plenty suffice on far less.

Very reasonable is a stretch, genuinely. I'm not even talking aboiut Zone 1 either, i'm talking Greater London.

chaps like this are very popular with the ladies :h:*
Original post by Atreus
Very reasonable is a stretch, genuinely. I'm not even talking aboiut Zone 1 either, i'm talking Greater London.

My parents get 40k and we have a pretty comfortable life and we live in zone 2. Idk what you're on about.
Reply 64
Original post by Ginertain
My parents get 40k and we have a pretty comfortable life and we live in zone 2. Idk what you're on about.

"Parents" - dual income etc.
Original post by Atreus
"Parents" - dual income etc.

Don't know where that extra s came from. My mums a housewife..But yes my dad does get around 40k.
Reply 66
Don't know where that extra s came from. My mums a housewife..But yes my dad does get around 40k.

Housewife's still exist ? Christ.
Original post by Atreus
Housewife's still exist ? Christ.

Well she doesn't work so I guess that makes her a housewife. She chooses not to work, what's wrong with that?
Reply 68
Well she doesn't work so I guess that makes her a housewife. She chooses not to work, what's wrong with that?

She doesn't work so that makes her unemployed, not a housewife. I don't know where to start really, if the kid is like 1-3 years old fair enough, but to make an occupation out of your refusal to work is terrible
Original post by Atreus
She doesn't work so that makes her unemployed, not a housewife. I don't know where to start really, if the kid is like 1-3 years old fair enough, but to make an occupation out of your refusal to work is terrible

I guess technically that is the term I just didn't think of it as unemployed as she isn't actively searching for a job. It's not refusal to work if her husband is happy with her choice. There's no financial push/burden requiring her to wok.
Reply 70
I guess technically that is the term I just didn't think of it as unemployed as she isn't actively searching for a job. It's not refusal to work if her husband is happy with her choice. There's no financial push/burden requiring her to wok.

I hate to think what sort of lacklustre character a person must have if they're happy to sit around all day, waiting for their husband to come back from work.
Original post by Atreus
I hate to think what sort of lacklustre character a person must have if they're happy to sit around all day, waiting for their husband to come back from work.

And the flip side is what? Working long hours in a dead end job? Every job eventually gets boring.
No its not, good on you for not wanting what evryone wants but its hard to not have money. There are people out there who live off scraps and can barely afford to eat or feed their families, they have to work long hours for less than the minimum wage. They worry daily about paying the rent and bills and are struggling to educate their children without the fear of being evicted. And just because you don't want to do those jobs doesn't mean you are poor, you just are doing something else that you have a choice in doing, you're lucky to be going to uni as many poor people can only dream about having the opportunities that you have....
Being poor is just like not being poor, but with less stuff and a lower standard of living.
Reply 74
And the flip side is what? Working long hours in a dead end job? Every job eventually gets boring.

What a horrible attitude, at the very least give back to the community even if you don't need to work. It's ironic that it's the middle class who demonise people who claim benefits for being lazy and witless yet are more than happy to sit around and leech of their husbands.
Original post by DraculaMihawk
Am I the only nerd on here who doesn't want to be an investment banker/lawyer and obtain a high salary? I quite like being poor and ordinary. There's a romance to it I think and it's sort of rock n roll as well. Anyone feel the same?

is it beautiful to be retarded?
like seriously, do you think people in Palestine or Syria or anyone living in poverty are having a "beautiful" life?
do you think theyre healthy enough to even know what romance is?
are you living in reality bruh??
seriously, open your eyes; movies and books are not reality
Original post by Atreus
What a horrible attitude, at the very least give back to the community even if you don't need to work. It's ironic that it's the middle class who demonise people who claim benefits for being lazy and witless yet are more than happy to sit around and leech of their husbands.

Give back to the community.. How so?

You view it as leeching of the husband :lol: Not how my dad sees it. But there you go - every couple is different.
Original post by DraculaMihawk
I guess minimalist living is what I meant. Obviously being extremely poor where you can't even afford your own house is not something I would advocate.

Hilarious if you think thats the dividing line of being poor.

There is nothing beautiful about being poor and it is n fact a desperately sad state to be in, especially if you have a fmaily or are sleeping on the street. Its a ridiculous comment romanticising something that is a miserable existence for millions. You ought to try it and then you might change your mind.

That said theres nothing to be ashamed about either and wealth does not equate to personal value. There are plenty of honest,hardworking folk who are poor, but live perfectly respectable lives and bring ip well behaved kids.

Try working for a homeless charity, one that does debt work or a food bank and you will see how beuatiful the clients think it is.
Original post by Atreus

Not sure why you're getting so exercised over another family's financial arrangements.

If the husband is happy to provide then there's really no benefit to anyone in the wife going out and getting a job she doesn't want.
Reply 79
Give back to the community.. How so?

You view it as leeching of the husband :lol: Not how my dad sees it. But there you go - every couple is different.

Work for a charity, teach part time, write for a paper, work in a community centre part time. Anything remotely useful. Of course I totally understand if she'd rather just sit on her behind all day, each to their own.

Original post by TimmonaPortella
Not sure why you're getting so exercised over another family's financial arrangements.

If the husband is happy to provide then there's really no benefit to anyone in the wife going out and getting a job she doesn't want.

I'm not getting exercised, I simply look down on anyone who's happy to sit around their house doing nothing at all by choice, people died for that right. That's my opinion, it must take a seriously level of laziness to not want to do anything useful with ones life.

Quick Reply

Latest