The Student Room Group

Relieving the symptoms of stress/anxiety/depression

Hi all,

I suffer with depression and have been on anti depressants for most of this year and have found this helps my mood significantly. However, stress still gets massively on top of me. One of the side effects of my medication is also severe tiredness.

I do not wish to discuss that here but, for various reasons, wish to find some methods to engage in maybe once a week or every now and then that can help reduce stress.

For example, activities that would provide the same sort of relief given by exercise. But for a range of reasons these cannot involve exercise. I would rather not discuss why but simply read your suggestions.

Thank you for your help, this will really benefit me in many ways.
Sex
Cbt. Please don't depend on medicine.
Reply 3
Antidepressants have improved my life significantly and allow me to function in a much better way.

However I am thinking more of an activity - a proven relief or escape that I can engage in every couple of weeks or so. Something like doing a bit of exercise but not exercise, as stated.
Hi Have you tried 5HTP i use it and its all natural, it has really helped me will chilling out in the evening and is making me sleep a lot better xxx
Reply 5
Thanks for this. I will look into it. In fact, I don't really have any trouble sleeping. It's the opposite. The combination of everything, and my usual response to stress, is to sleep more. So I definitely sleep more than average.

Still welcoming any suggestions that are activities that are known to help relax you but aren't exercise. Much like how exercise, due to the endorphin release, is often suggested.
well you won't get the same thing as exercise from something which isn't exercise

some things which might help get some aspects of the benefits of exercise:
- sex (someone else said this and it is a very good idea)
- something creative like drawing or playing music or even cooking a complicated but nice meal
- I don't know if you are able to do anything physical but walking/yoga
- spending time with animals
- doing something scary e.g. rollercoaster
Exercise is apparently really good for your mental health.
All 3 of my therapists recommended it so maybe try that?
Aside from that, music helps me a lot, as does sleep tbh.
Driving helps but I dont know if you can drive it not.
But id give those a go and see how you get on.
I really feel for you. I am in the same position and it's so tough,

What helps me is the following:
- Reading - particularly fiction - I find escapism and immersing yourself in another world really helps as a temporary fix
- Sport - exercise is known to help stress and depression, even if it's something light such as walking or yoga. I just take my dog on long walks and this eases my stress and makes me feel a lot less anxious
- My doctor told me to join some sort of group like a book club, or choir or sporting group. This gives you something weekly or monthly to look forward to and to direct all your energy into.
- CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) is great if medicine isn't enough. You will need to be referred by your doctor but this really changes your way of thinking which is amazing for anxiety and it basically prevents the anxious thoughts by altering your thought processes. It's just like a therapy session. I would recommend if your doctor thinks it is useful for you as well.
- Keep a diary - write all your thoughts down and give yourself weekly or daily goals to fulfil. This really helps my depression and it feels as though I am being productive and achieving something.

I hope this helps and just remember to speak to a doctor/a friend/family member if you are really struggling. You are not alone x
why is exercise not an option? i find it to be one of the main instant pick-me-ups for when i'm anxious/stressed/upset.

other things, though, that help me include cooking something at home; spending time with children (siblings, nieces/nephews etc), visiting friends, alcohol (although obviously in moderation and depending on how bad you feel, it could end up making things worse) and one of my favourites is shopping for clothes xD - obviously only if you have the money to spend, though
- Meditation.
- Actively thinking about how you think and where your pitfalls are. This can be in the form of a diary or it can be purely mental exercise.
- Reading.
- Green tea and limiting caffeine (1 cup of coffee per day as a maximum is a good rule of thumb) if you get too much.

I don't know you enough to make any kind of tailored suggestions, nor you I to take any into deep consideration. Just do your best and you will eventually figure something out.
Original post by tanyapotter
other things, though, that help me include cooking something at home

Cooking is great for me too. Good call. It's fun and creative, which makes it a form of escapism for me. I just turn up some nice calm music and cook/clean for a while.
Original post by Anonymous
Antidepressants have improved my life significantly and allow me to function in a much better way.

However I am thinking more of an activity - a proven relief or escape that I can engage in every couple of weeks or so. Something like doing a bit of exercise but not exercise, as stated.

Any sort of light, enjoyable activity. Obviously you've not provided details so I my suggestions might not be suitable to you, but maybe something like snooker or golf? I guess golf would be a better, since you suffer from depression it'll be good to get outside, and the scenery on a golf course makes for quite a relaxing setting. Just something like that, a low-intensity sport.
Hi there,

Like other people have suggested, things like cooking, meditation and low intensity exercise will be very good for helping relieve some stress. As well as cooking make sure that you're eating healthily as it will just make you feel better physically and hopefully that will help a bit with your tiredness. It may also be worth looking into doing some breathing exercises for when you're feeling especially stressed. A diary is also a good idea, when you're feeling stressed you can write down some things that have triggered that reaction and what you feel is getting on top of you. If it's written all down you may find it easier to look at things more logically and organise yourself so you can deal with the situation in smaller steps.

I know you said one of the side effects of your medication is tiredness, but are you still trying to keep your sleep schedule as consistent as possible?
I find cooking and baking therapeutic.
Reply 15
I suffer from anxiety and I've found that those adult colouring books actually help a lot for that (coupled with some good tunes).

Quick Reply

Latest