The Student Room Group

Who earns more? Doctor (say paediatrician) in UK or petroleum engineer in Dubai?

Just wondering how much net pay doctors make after tax compared to engineers such as petroleum engineers in Dubai and other places in UAE that don't have tax so can keep almost all of their gross income.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Noumsey
Just wondering how much net pay doctors make after tax compared to engineers such as petroleum engineers in Dubai and other places in UAE that don't have tax so can keep almost all of their gross income.

Why is this being asked?

And it would be the petroleum engineer in Dubai (dad was one in Saudi, and for sure earned a lot).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Why is this being asked?

And it would be the petroleum engineer in Dubai (dad was one in Saudi, and for sure earned a lot).

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I said, my mind is coming up with weird stuff like this. Just a random question. I am doing Engineering myself so was looking at chemical engineering and came across petroleum engineering as a possible pathway after my degree. Could i ask what university your father went to and if it was difficult getting into petroleum engineering?

But i just found that there aren't taxes in UAE countries (some) so was just wanting to know for my own knowledge if the tax really did pay a significant part. But thanks a lot for answering good sir.
Original post by Noumsey
As I said, my mind is coming up with weird stuff like this. Just a random question. I am doing Engineering myself so was looking at chemical engineering and came across petroleum engineering as a possible pathway after my degree. Could i ask what university your father went to and if it was difficult getting into petroleum engineering?

But i just found that there aren't taxes in UAE countries (some) so was just wanting to know for my own knowledge if the tax really did pay a significant part. But thanks a lot for answering good sir.

He went to the best Nigerian university (at the time) for his bachelors, then Imperial for his masters. Got a first, highest in his year. For him, it was pretty easy, he told me he had around 5-6 job offers or so after university. Although realistically, the university you go to doesn't matter that much in oil&gas - though there are obviously some degree programmes with a better rep than others.

Ah, no worries. Fwiw, we moved around with him and the company (Saudi Aramco?) covered private international school fees, free flights to whatever destination during the summer holidays and a housing stipend. So pretty good, I think a lot of companies that ship people out on expat packages are nice like that.

As for pay, back then he was around mid-career, so probably equivalent to ~£65-70k or so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doctors aren't likely to get laid off. Demand for oil & gas people follows energy prices and demand.
He went to the best Nigerian university (at the time) for his bachelors, then Imperial for his masters. Got a first, highest in his year. For him, it was pretty easy, he told me he had around 5-6 job offers or so after university. Although realistically, the university you go to doesn't matter that much in oil&gas - though there are obviously some degree programmes with a better rep than others.

Ah, no worries. Fwiw, we moved around with him and the company (Saudi Aramco?) covered private international school fees, free flights to whatever destination during the summer holidays and a housing stipend. So pretty good, I think a lot of companies that ship people out on expat packages are nice like that.

As for pay, back then he was around mid-career, so probably equivalent to ~£65-70k or so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Free travel??? That is awesome! Id love to travel like that. But i guess i am going to stick to chemical engineering as a job just because i haven't done much research in petroleum engineering. Maybe in the future when i know more about it, who knows anything could happen. And as for the pay, don't doctors in uk usually earn around £100k - 150k?
The petroleum engineer in Dubai certainly - higher nominal pay, much lower taxes.

The oil industry however has been laying people off in large numbers following the price crash. Start studying petroleum engineering now and that might have turned around by the time you graduate - or it might not!
Original post by Noumsey
Free travel??? That is awesome! Id love to travel like that. But i guess i am going to stick to chemical engineering as a job just because i haven't done much research in petroleum engineering. Maybe in the future when i know more about it, who knows anything could happen. And as for the pay, don't doctors in uk usually earn around £100k - 150k?

Nah, you can look up the pay scales. It takes 20 years of service as a consultant (i.e. 30-35+ years total experience) to reach £100k unless they get involved with private practice or are a GP partner for several practices. Starting consultants are ~£70k and GPs slightly lower.

My dad's highest pay was £140k after 15-20 years or so in the industry. But that was going into management.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Noumsey

That's before tax haha
Original post by Noumsey

I'd be inclined to say petroleum engineer in most cases but as ever it depends on several factors; can't comment on Dubai but in Nigeria doctor's who start their own private practices (closer to hospitals really) can earn an awful lot of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't have to answer if you feel that it's too personal but would the Nigerian university happen to be the University of Ibadan?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
If you want to become a petroleum engineer, you're better off going to Abu Dhabi as it has more oil opps than Dubai. That being said, the cost of living in both cities has risen over the past few years so keep that in mind too. As far as I can remember, junior roles for engineers in the oil industry paid around 70k - 100k USD. And more senior roles payed around 100k - 250k USD.
Original post by RunningBack34

You don't have to answer if you feel that it's too personal but would the Nigerian university happen to be the University of Ibadan?

Yah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool, I have a lot of family who attended there. As far as I'm aware it's still considered to be the best.
Nah, you can look up the pay scales. It takes 20 years of service as a consultant (i.e. 30-35+ years total experience) to reach £100k unless they get involved with private practice or are a GP partner for several practices. Starting consultants are ~£70k and GPs slightly lower.

My dad's highest pay was £140k after 15-20 years or so in the industry. But that was going into management.

Posted from TSR Mobile

30-35 year experience including med school? I thought for cardiologists for example, they could finish training as a consultant by the age of say 32ish and then go straight for jobs starting at £70k and with a few years of experience (say 5/6) they could start earning anything up to 120k or in some cases more. I guess it also depends, as you said, on the percentage that actually do private work as well i guess. But thats still like 20-25 years (including med school) rather than 30-35 years. Do correct me if I'm wrong though.

Me personally, Im going to Sheffield to do my chemical engineering course, picking it over medicine for the better work life balance, and who knows where i could end up if i get a first? But yeah I guess i should start looking up petroleum engineering then :wink:
Original post by Noumsey
30-35 year experience including med school? I thought for cardiologists for example, they could finish training as a consultant by the age of say 32ish and then go straight for jobs starting at £70k and with a few years of experience (say 5/6) they could start earning anything up to 120k or in some cases more. I guess it also depends, as you said, on the percentage that actually do private work as well i guess. But thats still like 20-25 years (including med school) rather than 30-35 years. Do correct me if I'm wrong though.

Me personally, Im going to Sheffield to do my chemical engineering course, picking it over medicine for the better work life balance, and who knows where i could end up if i get a first? But yeah I guess i should start looking up petroleum engineering then :wink:

No, just experience. The £100k bracket is only for very senior consultants, no one is going to be hitting £120k after only 5-6 yrs of being a consultant unless they're living in a country with higher physician pay or are doing private practice. A completely NHS consultant would only touch £100k after roughly 20 years of experience as a consultant.

If you really want, I would recommend markets focused role (be that risk, trading, sales w/ever) in finance, probably the best work-life balance to compensation ratio you can get. Otherwise yeah, oil and gas is pretty good - most chem eng grads go into a process engineering sort of role.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, just experience. The £100k bracket is only for very senior consultants, no one is going to be hitting £120k after only 5-6 yrs of being a consultant unless they're living in a country with higher physician pay or are doing private practice. A completely NHS consultant would only touch £100k after roughly 20 years of experience as a consultant.

If you really want, I would recommend markets focused role (be that risk, trading, sales w/ever) in finance, probably the best work-life balance to compensation ratio you can get. Otherwise yeah, oil and gas is pretty good - most chem eng grads go into a process engineering sort of role.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean in the field of engineering or just move into finance once my degree is over?
Original post by Noumsey
Do you mean in the field of engineering or just move into finance once my degree is over?

As in apply to finance internships.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noumsey

You can do pretty much every finance job with an engineering degree. Trading is probably where you can make the most money wiht the least hours. Very risky work though and no job security.
As in apply to finance internships.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right i get you. But i feel like its more of a risk than Petroleum engineering, which is even more risky than Chemical engineering, in terms of job security. Furthermore, i know little about marketing careers so maybe just maybe if i get enough information about petroleum engineering, ill of into that and hopefully make a decent living alongside have fun travelling if possible.

Original post by Trapz99
You can do pretty much every finance job with an engineering degree. Trading is probably where you can make the most money wiht the least hours. Very risky work though and no job security.

By trading, do you mean day trading?
Original post by Noumsey

There may be no income tax but the tax on fuel is a big thing in every country, I work in the fuel trade myself and I know that the profit margins are razor thin because the cost of business is massive so your only gonna make loads of money if your company sells loads and loads of fuel like 10 million tons/year or more.

Still, I think the petroleum engineer would make more simply because UAE has a higher GDP per capita than the UK, also a higher cost of living so when it comes to "purchasing power" I'd say they're both very similar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending