The Student Room Group

Hating University Accomodation

Before you say that i'm homesick, i'm really not. I moved into uni accommodation on Friday and so far it just hasn't been for me. I'm not on the same level as any of my flatmates, and i'm finding it really hard to want to leave my room.I suffer with anxiety quite badly which obviously hasn't helped and i just don't feel right here.
Alongside this, i only live an hour a way and now i'm debating over whether or not i want to commute for the rest of the year. Turns out that if i got the train it would cost just a small fraction (a month) more than what it is to stay here per week.
Right now i really don't know what to do as i don't want to regret anything, but if I'm not happy here why should i waste my time?

I would love to know your opinions, as right now my heads all over the place
Reply 1
Give it another week and if it's still absolutely awful then consider asking to switch to another type of accomdation which you may find you like more. Uni halls very a lot given the variety of people staying in them so just because you don't like this hall doesn't me you won't like a different one.

If however you're really hating it this much then do consider comuting to uni but bare in mind you're gonna have to put more effort into joining societies ect to make friends.

I think staying at home for the first year might be your best option as it seems halls is just too much right now for you and you still have the option of moving out next year :smile: @gab215
Reply 2
You haven't told us why exaclty it's 'not for [you]'.
Are you just not as sociable? Too sociable?
<3 days is nothing, before you think these things give it at least a month IMO.
Reply 3
Original post by fefssdf
Give it another week and if it's still absolutely awful then consider asking to switch to another type of accomdation which you may find you like more. Uni halls very a lot given the variety of people staying in them so just because you don't like this hall doesn't me you won't like a different one.

If however you're really hating it this much then do consider comuting to uni but bare in mind you're gonna have to put more effort into joining societies ect to make friends.

I think staying at home for the first year might be your best option as it seems halls is just too much right now for you and you still have the option of moving out next year :smile: @gab215

I was thinking this, maybe I should stay home and if I hate it I can move into accommodation. In my uni you can stay for the first two years so I wouldn't need to worry too much about finding private accommodation. It's such a shame because I like my accommodation and the position is ideal.. I just can't cope with crying every hour 😂
Reply 4
Original post by Inazuma
You haven't told us why exaclty it's 'not for [you]'.
Are you just not as sociable? Too sociable?
<3 days is nothing, before you think these things give it at least a month IMO.

I don't think I'm quite as sociable and this may be due to my boyfriend back home. I agree, i've had some time to think and now i definitely think i need to at least wait till christmas.
Original post by gab215
I don't think I'm quite as sociable and this may be due to my boyfriend back home. I agree, i've had some time to think and now i definitely think i need to at least wait till christmas.

why is your boyfriend stopping you being sociable? are you sitting on skype to him all night? I think you need to give your halls a go and commit to trying to enjoy your time, uni is a big change and it can be tough to make that change but it is important to be able to cope in different environments and be a bit resilient - try and make more of an effort with your flatmates and challenge your anxiety for a while

the other side to this is that if you have a contract your halls may not let you leave (certainly without paying the rest of the year's rent) so it's worth trying to stick it out
Reply 6
Original post by doodle_333
why is your boyfriend stopping you being sociable? are you sitting on skype to him all night? I think you need to give your halls a go and commit to trying to enjoy your time, uni is a big change and it can be tough to make that change but it is important to be able to cope in different environments and be a bit resilient - try and make more of an effort with your flatmates and challenge your anxiety for a while

the other side to this is that if you have a contract your halls may not let you leave (certainly without paying the rest of the year's rent) so it's worth trying to stick it out

I guess i'm more wary of my actions, but regardless of that i don't think my flatmates are the kind of people that I can become comfortable with. Myself & my boyfriend FaceTime once a day and text quite a bit, but it doesn't change how i feel about my accommodation (he doesn't encourage me to come home, he's quite the opposite). I just don't feel myself and hate sitting with them socially. They all seem to really get along and i feel like the odd one out, consequently i avoid sitting with them.
I've found out all i need to do is find someone to swap with me, then i can move out.
Original post by gab215
I guess i'm more wary of my actions, but regardless of that i don't think my flatmates are the kind of people that I can become comfortable with. Myself & my boyfriend FaceTime once a day and text quite a bit, but it doesn't change how i feel about my accommodation (he doesn't encourage me to come home, he's quite the opposite). I just don't feel myself and hate sitting with them socially. They all seem to really get along and i feel like the odd one out, consequently i avoid sitting with them.
I've found out all i need to do is find someone to swap with me, then i can move out.

do you mean having a boyfriend means you don't want to go out drinking/partying etc? I'll be honest with you, I know you say your boyfriend is supportive but it sounds like you are really building barriers to making friends here... a short facetime once a day is not going to be a huge problem with making friends as long as you don't do it at a specific time so that you can't spend time with your flatmates... You can't have been there long enough to really get to know your flatmates yet or spend a lot of time with them, I would really advise you actually make an effort before you write them off - even if you're never going to be lifelong friends getting on with them is a good thing... my first year flatmates were not my sort of people and we barely spoke after the year ended but ew made an effort and hung out regularly and it was a really good thing - you're also never going to stop feeling like the odd one out until you spend time with them, of course if they spend a lot more time together they will be closer than you

yes, I know how the rules work but you'll see from posts around the forums it's not easy to find someone to take over your let

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending