The Student Room Group

Student finance help

does anyone know what to do when student finance has given you wrong information about your eligibility for the loan& now even though i was living in the UK since birth, went abroad for 2 years and no i'm back residing in the UK. how on earth am i not entitled to anything for another 3 years?
Reply 1
Original post by alexx>
does anyone know what to do when student finance has given you wrong information about your eligibility for the loan& now even though i was living in the UK since birth, went abroad for 2 years and no i'm back residing in the UK. how on earth am i not entitled to anything for another 3 years?

You need to be "ordinarily resident" in the UK for 3 full years before the start date of your course. That's a long-established rule of Student Finance. Previous residence doesn't count. The idea is to prevent people from coming to the UK from all over the world, solely to take advantage of our state subsidised uni education system. The rule is based on residence and not nationality or citizenship.

If you can prove that your 2 years abroad were temporary, that you maintained an address in the UK throughout those years and that you always intended coming back, then you would have grounds for appeal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending