The Student Room Group

Is A level maths hard for someone with a low A in gcse maths?

Will I struggle with A level maths because I got low A in gcse maths and I worked hard for it? I got into maths because I passed the entrance exam but I'm taking biology, history and sociolgoy along with maths so will that be too much work?
It hard to say. If you worked very hard and still got an A then you might struggle. A-level maths is harder than GCSE but if you work hard then its possible to do really well, even if you don't think you that good at maths naturally at least that's what I've found.
Original post by valdokarina
Will I struggle with A level maths because I got low A in gcse maths and I worked hard for it? I got into maths because I passed the entrance exam but I'm taking biology, history and sociolgoy along with maths so will that be too much work?

I found A Level maths difficult and I got an A* at GCSE. I ended up getting an A though at AS. Reality is, everyone is going to find it difficult. You just need to make sure you work hard - that's really it.

I got a low A in maths GCSE too, but achieved a solid A in maths AS this year. It's really down to how much effort and time you're willing to put in, you're gonna have to spend more time on maths then your other subjects for sure. One tip is to start past papers as early as you can, that way you're ready for anything that comes up, and use exam
solutions for past paper questions you're stuck on.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Jamesphillll
I got a low A in maths GCSE too, but achieved a solid A in maths AS this year. It's really down to how much effort and time you're willing to put in, you're gonna have to spend more time on maths then your other subjects for sure. One tip is to start past papers as early as you can, that way you're ready for anything that comes up, and use exam
solutions for past paper questions you're stuck on.
Good luck :smile:

Taking maths to A2?
what is hard?
what is easy?

it all depends the amount of work you put in.

i got a very low a and ended up with a b. not the best grade but high enough but i did work very hard for it near the end of the year
Reply 6

I'm in the exact same position as you right now, most of my friends dropped A lvl maths but i'm going to try stick with it although i can't say i'm finding it too easy right now.
Reply 7
I got a B in GCSE maths (also got a B in GCSE further maths...which I did absolutely no revision for) and I find A-level maths absolutely fine.

Just be prepared to work hard from day one and whatever you do - don't fall behind.
Reply 8
Original post by L0st45
I got a B in GCSE maths (also got a B in GCSE further maths...which I did absolutely no revision for) and I find A-level maths absolutely fine.

Just be prepared to work hard from day one and whatever you do - don't fall behind.

Are you AS or A2 student?
Reply 9
Original post by Rajive
Are you AS or A2 student?

AS.
Original post by Rajive
Taking maths to A2?

Yes I am, hopefully I can get an A* if I work hard enough
Reply 11
Original post by Jamesphillll
Yes I am, hopefully I can get an A* if I work hard enough

What are your other subjects ?
Reply 12
I got a B FOUR times in maths gcse.. In AS i got an A. Just work hard.
You get out what you put in.. I know someone that got a high C at GCSE and got an A at A level, but I also know someone who got an A* at GCSE and a C at A level.

I recommend the CGP student books btw

Best of luck
Yeah you should be good. I got an A at GCSE and then struggled with A-Level when I first started it but I put in a lot of work and got a high A at AS and seem to be doing well so far. Just try to understand the concepts you use in A-Level and you'll be good! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest