The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vividly clear
That isn't "intricacy"

It's just you being redundant.

You wanna compare both schools, write Oxford or Cambridge.

If you can't understand the title is the way it is from the opening post, I can't help you then. I'm done replying to you, so this thread doesn't go off-topic.
Original post by ColossalAtom
If you can't understand the title is the way it is from the opening post, I can't help you then. I'm done replying to you, so this thread doesn't go off-topic.

It's not my fault you used redundant statements in your insipid title.

And I'm not sure why you're telling me that you're done replying to me, as if I give a flying crap what you're done with
Reply 42
Original post by Zacken
Because Maths at Cambridge easily outstrips Maths at Oxford.

Do you genuinely believe this, or are you just looking to be provocative? I'd love to know your reasons.
According to Guardian, you're better off getting a Maths degree from Derby University, than LSE.

League tables are bullshi*t

https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2016/may/23/university-guide-2017-league-table-for-mathematics
Reply 44
According to Guardian, you're better off getting a Maths degree from Derby University, than LSE.

League tables are bullshi*t

https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2016/may/23/university-guide-2017-league-table-for-mathematics

The Guardian once had Hull and Bangor in their top ten for maths. This was particularly surprising as you couldn't do a maths degree at either university at the time - the maths departments only existed for providing maths teaching to other science departments.
Original post by RichE
The Guardian once had Hull and Bangor in their top ten for maths. This was particularly surprising as you couldn't do a maths degree at either university at the time - the maths departments only existed for providing maths teaching to other science departments.

Guardian

:rofl::rofl:
Reply 46
Original post by RichE
Do you genuinely believe this, or are you just looking to be provocative? I'd love to know your reasons.

It's a bit hyperbole, but I do genuinely think that Maths at Cambridge has a certain... intangible edge over Oxford for maths. It's undeniable that Cambridge has a better reputation for maths than Oxford - perhaps that contributes.

Then again, having just come through STEP, I may possible be a little biased. :tongue:
Reply 47
Original post by Zacken
It's a bit hyperbole, but I do genuinely think that Maths at Cambridge has a certain... intangible edge over Oxford for maths. It's undeniable that Cambridge has a better reputation for maths than Oxford - perhaps that contributes.

Then again, having just come through STEP, I may possible be a little biased. :tongue:

That's fair enough. I have nothing against the Cambridge course, and am perhaps just feeling a bit raw after not being able to get any sense (as I saw it) out of Newblood in the following thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1241659&p=67339668&page=13#post67339668

(from post 767). I do sometimes think that the reputation is an historic matter, and not really borne out in the present.
Reply 48
Original post by RichE
That's fair enough. I have nothing against the Cambridge course, and am perhaps just feeling a bit raw after not being able to get any sense (as I saw it) out of Newblood in the following thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1241659&p=67339668&page=13#post67339668

Ah yeah, I saw that. Didn't realise that Cambridge had that much applied in it, will need to get those applied skills sharpened up soon :tongue:

(from post 767). I do sometimes think that the reputation is an historic matter, and not really borne out in the present.

Oh no, I definitely agree, it's not a valid point at all - but it does end up in a self-perpetuating cycle where Cambridge's image for maths is continually reinforced.
Reply 49
Applying to Oxford because I want to do PPE, they don't do that at Cambridge :smile:
What's interesting though, here in Germany Oxford is A LOT better known than Cambridge. I believe that before I considered applying to UK unis I had barely heard about Cambridge but a lot about Oxford. (I am only talking about the general public here, scientists etc. know Cambridge of course! Just growing up I heard way more about Oxford)
This would have never been a reason to pick Oxford over Cambridge though. But Oxford is also thought to be better than Cambridge at social sciences/humanities, don't know how true that is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 50
It's not my fault you used redundant statements in your insipid title.

And I'm not sure why you're telling me that you're done replying to me, as if I give a flying crap what you're done with

So, the intention of the title isn't directly to compare Oxford and Cambridge, even though that's what the thread has become. The title considers whether the term "Oxbridge" is redundant compared to "Cambridge" given that in OPs experience almost every "Oxbridge" person on TSR is from Cambridge, and people who ask about Oxbridge often mean Cambridge. The title didn't imply that the term is /actually/ redundant, because of course it isn't. A more complete title would say "why say Oxbridge on TSR when we can just say Cambridge" or similar. This has been condensed to "Oxbridge or Cambridge".
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Definitely seems like more talented people come out of Cambridge. I'm pretty sure it has twice the number of Nobel laureates than Oxford for one, along with a higher UCAS Tarrif on the other, and same/higher A Level requirements on every mutual course.

I'm applying for medicine. Chose Oxford biochemistry as a fifth choice purely because I don't have the stamina to do the BMAT and the NatSci paper on the same day.

Thought you can only for either Cambridge OR oxford
Original post by metrize
Thought you can only for either Cambridge OR oxford

Yes, that's correct; I think you've misinterpreted what I've posted?
Look at the course, that's the key if you are sure. Then, visit and see what your gut tells you.

My daughter was set on Oxford for archaeology, they she visited and really didn't like it - too posh, too snotty, etc. She visited Cam and it was love at first sight. Intuitive, immediate.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I applied to Oxford because I preferred the city and because it offered my desired course.

What course are you hoping to study at Oxford?
Original post by physicsmaths
I wholeheartedly agree.
I hope my spelling is correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

how is oxford for medicine?
Original post by shimolishah15
What course are you hoping to study at Oxford?

I’m not. I already have a degree.

Latest

Trending

Trending