The Student Room Group

Engineering Degree advice?

I am doing Physics, maths with stats and Law A level. Is this fine? would this keep my engineering options open in the future when i go to University?
If not which A levels would you consider and which one to replace. By the way i am not aiming for crazy top unis just good unis. Thanks :smile:
Those A levels are fine but I'd recommend further maths as it would help for uni
Reply 2
Original post by chrisidialu
Those A levels are fine but I'd recommend further maths as it would help for uni

My college wont let me do Further Maths i was one mark off A* what should i do? would it affect me a lot in the long run when applying to uni.
You don't require further maths! It could be helpful but maths and physics are the two required subjects at most unis!
I think you'll be fine so long as you have both physics and maths which a number of courses ask for.
Original post by homere
My college wont let me do Further Maths i was one mark off A* what should i do? would it affect me a lot in the long run when applying to uni.

1 mark off an A* and they wont let you take further maths?! Is there no one you can report that to, because they clearly have a stupid policy and not particularly, but unis would look at it more favourably and it would just make the maths at uni for a few terms easier.
Reply 6
Original post by homere

It won't affect you at all, as you really don't need Further Maths and unis won't really care at all if you don't do it (it hardly is part of the requirements, and you can check it online).

The only advantage I see for Further Maths is that you would have covered a few stuff you will learn for first year Maths modules (such as Matrices).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by homere

Check the unis you might want to study at for requirements. I'd advise Mechanics rather than Stats by the way ...

Engineering degrees are often better at non-RG unis as they are more industry focused.
Reply 8
Original post by chrisidialu
1 mark off an A* and they wont let you take further maths?! Is there no one you can report that to, because they clearly have a stupid policy and not particularly, but unis would look at it more favourably and it would just make the maths at uni for a few terms easier.

i told a number of people at college but none of them said anything. They said they are strict with their 'requirements' especially at the maths side
Reply 9
swap law for chemistry
Reply 10
Original post by OGFakiie
swap law for chemistry

not interested to go into chemical engineering
Original post by homere
not interested to go into chemical engineering

choose further maths, or if you want an essay based subject, economics is quite good
Reply 12
choose further maths, or if you want an essay based subject, economics is quite good

ill try to choose further maths but my college wont allow me to take it because i was one mark off A*. i dont know what to do any suggestions?
Original post by homere
ill try to choose further maths but my college wont allow me to take it because i was one mark off A*. i dont know what to do any suggestions?

tbf further maths is quite difficult without at least an A* at gcse. But if you cant persuade your teacher, economics is a good essay based subject.
Reply 14
tbf further maths is quite difficult without at least an A* at gcse. But if you cant persuade your teacher, economics is a good essay based subject.

does economics link with engineering?
I'm going into mechanical engineering. When I was applying to uni's most requirements were maths (including mechanics), physics and another science. Of course further maths would be useful, however most unis don't require it.

I did Maths(+mechanics), physics and electronics at A level. I would change law if I'm honest. Change it for another science. Chemistry/computing/ biology/Further maths/ Electronics . I choose electronics as I found it easier than doing Chemistry as it does link with physics and I felt the content was easier to learn.

I know most places don't offer a level electronics so I would recommend Chemistry or Computing.

It should be the same for Aerospace, civil etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by homere
does economics link with engineering?

sorta

Quick Reply

Latest