The Student Room Group

If I do an apprenticeship, can it give me a degree?

If I do an apprenticeship, can it give me a degree and if it does do I get to go university to study. Am I allowed to choose the degree course?
Reply 1
Original post by Juned5675
If I do an apprenticeship, can it give me a degree and if it does do I get to go university to study. Am I allowed to choose the degree course?

Most apprenticeships aren't degree level. Some are, but they may take a long time to complete. You're unlikely to be able to choose the subject because the apprenticeship is aimed towards a certain job - the company pay you to get the most appropriate degree for that job. But you can choose in that you pick what apprenticeship top apply for, so if you don't want an engineering degree then don't apply for an engineering apprenticeship.

Hi Juned5675,

The short answer is yes.

There is an increasing number of companies now keen to bring talent into their businesses early due to the 'Apprenticeship Levy'. This is a government initiative whereby businesses who pay over £3 million in salaries have to pay 0.5% of their salaries into a 'Levy Pot'. The only way to spend/ reclaim this is to deliver Apprenticeship training.
The businesses I work with now are remodeling their recruitment processes to bring in more Apprentices. This is a 'win win', as it enables them to train their future workforce as well as offset it against the government levy!

I would look to find an Apprenticeship programme that suits your career objectives. Again, increasing numbers are developing degree level Apprenticeships to take advantage of the above, however, this may take time as the Levy only goes live in April 2017.

Original post by Juno
Most apprenticeships aren't degree level. Some are, but they may take a long time to complete. You're unlikely to be able to choose the subject because the apprenticeship is aimed towards a certain job - the company pay you to get the most appropriate degree for that job. But you can choose in that you pick what apprenticeship top apply for, so if you don't want an engineering degree then don't apply for an engineering apprenticeship.

Agreed Juno - businesses will always want you to complete a degree that meets their immediate needs. This has some pros and cons. Pros - you are being invested in and therefore very likely to have a job at the end of your programme.

Cons - the training will be focused on an 'end job', so the number of options and capacity to 'change your mind' may be slightly harder.

Hope the above helps?
Depends on the level, qualification and the apprenticeship itself.

I know there are some companies that will offer a degree too you after completion of an apprenticeship through the sector they offer. You can also go too university and study for a degree with a completion of an apprenticeship, From what I know this can be done after a NVQ level 3 to NVQ level 5 (some universities accept advanced apprenticeship qualification)
Reply 4
Original post by Talent Source Network - Aidan
Hi Juned5675,

The short answer is yes.

There is an increasing number of companies now keen to bring talent into their businesses early due to the 'Apprenticeship Levy'. This is a government initiative whereby businesses who pay over £3 million in salaries have to pay 0.5% of their salaries into a 'Levy Pot'. The only way to spend/ reclaim this is to deliver Apprenticeship training.
The businesses I work with now are remodeling their recruitment processes to bring in more Apprentices. This is a 'win win', as it enables them to train their future workforce as well as offset it against the government levy!

I would look to find an Apprenticeship programme that suits your career objectives. Again, increasing numbers are developing degree level Apprenticeships to take advantage of the above, however, this may take time as the Levy only goes live in April 2017.

Agreed Juno - businesses will always want you to complete a degree that meets their immediate needs. This has some pros and cons. Pros - you are being invested in and therefore very likely to have a job at the end of your programme.

Cons - the training will be focused on an 'end job', so the number of options and capacity to 'change your mind' may be slightly harder.

Hope the above helps?

I want to do an apprenticeship where it can allow me to study pharmacy or something similar in university even though i only do A level maths and physics and intensive subsidiary forensic science, i did AS biology but got an E in that. is it possible for me?
Reply 5

I want to do an apprenticeship where it can allow me to study pharmacy or something similar in university even though i only do A level maths and physics and intensive subsidiary forensic science, i did AS biology but got an E in that. is it possible for me?

You'll have to do your own research because it depends what is offered in your area. I did see a pharmacy apprenticeship (a few years ago) but it was by an independent pharmacy, so you need to be in that village to be able to do it.

But pharmacy apprenticeships do exist, so keep looking
Juned - Pharmacy will serve you well.
I am supporting raise visibility of opportunities in the energy and utility network - https://www.talentsourcenetwork.co.uk/

However, hope you do really well #thumbsup
Hey!

Apprenticeships are valuable, hands-on qualifications that allow you to earn while they learn in a whole range of industries. Higher Apprenticeships even carry the same weight as a Foundation degree. Higher Apprenticeships are the top tier of UK apprenticeships. Available since 2009, they award qualifications in line with a Higher Education Foundation Degree.

Do you know what apprenticeship you would like to go into, if you do?

We have so much information on Apprenticeships. Some of these might be of help to you:

Earn while you learn: the many benefits of apprenticeships: http://advice.milkround.com/earn-while-you-learn-the-many-benefits-of-apprenticeships
Articled apprenticeships give training and an income: http://advice.milkround.com/articled-apprenticeships-give-training-and-an-income
How can doing an apprenticeship help your career?: http://advice.milkround.com/how-can-doing-an-apprenticeship-help-your-career
The real value of apprenticeships: http://advice.milkround.com/the-real-value-of-apprenticeships
What is a Higher Apprenticeship?: http://advice.milkround.com/what-is-a-higher-apprenticeship

I hope these help!
You can do a degree level apprenticeship. Whether one exists in the field you want to study is another matter, and generally you'll find that the degree course is chosen based on employers needs, rather than the apprentice. Employers want you to come out with qualifications relevant to your job, rather than in what you want to study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending