The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

To anyone Studying Computer Science at The Uni of Southampton...

What was your offer and what subjects did you do? What A level grades did you achieve? And what are you doing now?

They give out AAA offers including A in maths. I am curious if anyone got in with any lower/ knows anyone who got in with lower.

Thank you.
Reply 1
heya!
although the offer is AAA you might get in with AAB as long as you have Southampton as your firm choice or/and attend their informal interview(don't stress out its a casual talk with a tutor)
Also, if you achieve A*A*A you are likely to receive a merit scholarship worth £1k tho I think for the next academic year(2017/2018) they are offering other scholarships as well
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Sari7ta
heya!
although the offer is AAA you might get in with AAB as long as you have Southampton as your firm choice or/and attend their informal interview(don't stress out its a casual talk with a tutor)
Also, if you achieve A*A*A you are likely to receive a merit scholarship worth £1k tho I think for the next academic year(2017/2018) they are offering other scholarships as well

Okay thank you. Why must I have Southampton as my firm choice/attend thier informal interview to get in with lower grades than my offer?

Also are you a student there, if so what degree are you doing and what a levels did you do to get in?
Reply 3
I was offered AAA or A*AB, both requiring an A/A* in maths. In the end I got A*BBB and am starting a Bsc in Computer Science this year. In the interview (which is pretty chill), I was told that they generally are happy to accept you if you miss a grade, especially if it is your firm choice.
Original post by will181
I was offered AAA or A*AB, both requiring an A/A* in maths. In the end I got A*BBB and am starting a Bsc in Computer Science this year. In the interview (which is pretty chill), I was told that they generally are happy to accept you if you miss a grade, especially if it is your firm choice.

In what subjects? And what GCSEs did you get?
Thanks mate.
Reply 5
Original post by Kira Yagami
In what subjects? And what GCSEs did you get?
Thanks mate.

Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. I think I got A*, 5xA, 3xB and 2xC for GCSE
Reply 6
Original post by will181

Do you know if anyone else in your course missed their grades?
Reply 7
Original post by Pyslocke
Do you know if anyone else in your course missed their grades?

Not yet as I haven't actually moved down there yet, and so haven't met anyone else on my course. If you would like, I could reply here in about a week when I should have met some people off of my course.
Reply 8
Original post by will181
Not yet as I haven't actually moved down there yet, and so haven't met anyone else on my course. If you would like, I could reply here in about a week when I should have met some people off of my course.

hey, we have a group chat on FB. PM me if you'd like to join :smile: we are roughly 50 members atm

And I think there was a guy who got in with AAB
Original post by will181

Hi, I would really appreciate if you ask some people studying computer science at Southampton about their the grades they achieved at A level and the Subjects that they did. I'm worried because I am retaking so I really need to get in next year so I am curious about how nice they can be.

You could PM if you like or just post on this thread, but please do.
Original post by will181

That would be great, thanks! :smile:
Original post by Sari7ta
hey, we have a group chat on FB. PM me if you'd like to join :smile: we are roughly 50 members atm

And I think there was a guy who got in with AAB

Hello. Thanks a lot for the response. I was wondering if you have found about any more peoples grades and the subjects in which they achieved the grades in. It would be really helpful. I am interested in the proportion of people who get accepted with lower grades than the entry requirements and people who did not get an A in maths/computing.

I retook this year and I'm not feeling to confident. I have a feeling of ABB/AAB in Biology,Chem Maths and I have a B in AS english literature.

Please reply. Thanks.
AAAB , unconditional offer.
Original post by togouni2017
AAAB , unconditional offer.

In what subjects and for what year?
In what subjects and for what year?

bio, chem, maths A, physics B

2017 entry
Original post by togouni2017
bio, chem, maths A, physics B

2017 entry

Oh ok. Nice.

Just wondering do you know anyone else with unconditional offers and what grades they achieved?
Oh ok. Nice.

Just wondering do you know anyone else with unconditional offers and what grades they achieved?

nope

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending