The Student Room Group

Can i do pharmacy with no chemistry?

I want to do pharmacy in university but i cant because i am currently doing A Level Physics and Maths and i'm doing intensive Forensic science. I don't want to do anything else other than pharmacy.
You'll have to check entry requirements and go from there.
Foundation year. I don't see any unis which offer pharmacy without chemistry.
I don't think you can. Chemistry is like the foundation of pharmacy. Are you in second year?
Original post by Juned5675
I want to do pharmacy in university but i cant because i am currently doing A Level Physics and Maths and i'm doing intensive Forensic science. I don't want to do anything else other than pharmacy.

I would just contact departments and ask if they accept your qualifications. If not, and pharmacy is what you want to do, that is what foundation years are designed for :smile:

I doubt there's any uni that offers pharmacy to a student without at least reasonable grades at level 3 chemistry. And if there is, I seriously wouldn't apply, you will fail the first year. Pharmacy course is approx 50% chemistry, the other 50% split between physics (dosage design and formulation), biology (scientific basis of therapeutics) and pharmacy practice (actual pharmacy protocol ie legal requirements of prescription checking, dispensing, labelling, wider legal obligations of the profession, and ethics).

First of all, buy a copy of the current BNF (British National Formulary) as it will become your bible if studying pharmacy. Learn everything about the top 200, or at least top 100, most commonly prescribed drugs. Also a requirement is a quality medical reference source. Most often recommended is the Oxford Concise Medical Dictionary. Spending some time each day familiarizing yourself with medical terms for illnesses, diseases and anatomy will put you in good stead.

Forensic science is a plus for sure, but seriously, the M.Pharm. degree is not easy. Without level 3 (A-level or Access to HE) in biology and chemistry (health studies would help to if you do a full time access course) you will struggle greatly, with a good probability of failing the first year and have to drop out.

Look into how to obtain the qualifications required for pharmacy technician, or at least pharmacy assistant. Send CV's out to all retail pharmacies within travelling distance. Phone them up (not on a Mon, Fri, or weekend) and ask if the head pharmacist can spare a few moments. Dress professional and call into retail stores (after phoning and arranging). Try to get as much hands on experience as possible, even if as intern ie unpaid.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I do alevel physics and alevel maths, im in my second year. I also do intensive subsidiary diploma forensic science, there is no level 3 chemistry, i wanna go to a university in london. I done AS biology but got an E in that coz i revised for my subjects in the last couple months
Chemistry is pretty much essential for a pharmacy degree. I think your best option would be to go for a foundation year.
Reply 8

Lincoln ask for ABB, which needs to include Biology OR Chemistry, and another science subject.

They provide extra support for students who start first year that haven't studied Chemistry for A Level.
Reply 9
Original post by m_james
Lincoln ask for ABB, which needs to include Biology OR Chemistry, and another science subject.

They provide extra support for students who start first year that haven't studied Chemistry for A Level.

im looking for a course in london
Reply 10
im looking for a course in london

Sorry about that.

I would suggest a foundation year, or even an Access to HE course at your local college as long as it has appropriate Biology and Chemistry modules.
Reply 11
whats a HE course
You can do a foundation year and enter into the mPharm course through there.
whats a HE course

Access to Higher Education. It's an alternative route for mature students into level 4 aka degree level study for those older than the 16-19 a-level catchment.

I've studied 2 access courses.Found them to be really friendly, with a huge spread of ages and backgrounds. Last one i was on there was a guy in his 50's wanting to go onto to study engineering at uni, just because he was interested in the field, and he was basically retired from working life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending