The Student Room Group

I feel further maths is too much for me! please help?

So i started sixth form this week and i really enjoyed maths before and i still do but im doing f maths and im really struggling like im not grasping concepts and getting lots of q's wrong and everyone in my class just finds it much easier! we are only on C1 and M1 which should be easy but they arent. I really want to do well so please could someone give me some advice on how to improve? Thank you!
Reply 1
Forgive me if I'm slightly confused, but you're doing C1 in FMaths? If it's the whole of maths in general that's not clicking then I recommend talking to your subject tutors to see if they can help you. It's their job to make sure you understand it. Also, see if you can get another student who understands it to explain - they might do so in a different way that makes more sense. Aside from that, take your time with your homework and make a note of what you did wrong and right, your strengths and weaknesses. Don't be put off by other students doing better because it's not about them.
Firstly, make sure that you are being proactive (which you seem to be doing) - if there's something you do not understand, definitely do not just leave it. There are a lot of YouTube channels and websites which go through examples in perhaps slightly different ways to how you may have been taught, which might help things click. If that doesn't help, ask your teacher and they should be able to advise you on strategies to improve.

Please ignore @Jamie Vardy, they're talking nonsense.
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Another egotistical member of the TSR Support Team.

It's not egotistical, you are lying to people who are looking for help.
Reply 4
Did you not take GCSE Further Maths? You're screwed.

If you don't take GCSE further maths and do the A level it definitely doesn't mean you're screwed so stop talking rubbish

What rubbish! I teach in a selective school and we don't even do level 2 Further Maths - doesn't stop many students getting A*A*.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Kia_72
Forgive me if I'm slightly confused, but you're doing C1 in FMaths? If it's the whole of maths in general that's not clicking then I recommend talking to your subject tutors to see if they can help you. It's their job to make sure you understand it. Also, see if you can get another student who understands it to explain - they might do so in a different way that makes more sense. Aside from that, take your time with your homework and make a note of what you did wrong and right, your strengths and weaknesses. Don't be put off by other students doing better because it's not about them.

Oh yeah sorry our school does it that you do AS and A2 Maths in the first year and then AS and A2 F Maths in the second year but im struggling with normal maths :/ Thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by Plagioclase
Firstly, make sure that you are being proactive (which you seem to be doing) - if there's something you do not understand, definitely do not just leave it. There are a lot of YouTube channels and websites which go through examples in perhaps slightly different ways to how you may have been taught, which might help things click. If that doesn't help, ask your teacher and they should be able to advise you on strategies to improve.

Please ignore @Jamie Vardy, they're talking nonsense.

Thank you very much! I will keep trying as im really keen! yes i will haha :P
Don't be too hard on yourself. It is very easy to have high standards of yourself and expect everything to go right the first time. This is what my driving instructor said he thought I suffered from, and I think it was true. I know it's easy to be disappointed but these things just take time. Especially in maths, you need to just spend time at home practicing questions and then you'll find that it clicks at some point or another.
Original post by sophiahello
Thank you very much! I will keep trying as im really keen! yes i will haha :P

Make sure you complete all the exercises and all your homework. Ask your teachers for help and go to any support sessions.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 10
So i started sixth form this week and i really enjoyed maths before and i still do but im doing f maths and im really struggling like im not grasping concepts and getting lots of q's wrong and everyone in my class just finds it much easier! we are only on C1 and M1 which should be easy but they arent. I really want to do well so please could someone give me some advice on how to improve? Thank you!

M1 is actually one of the harder modules, c1 should be fine for anyone who got atleast a B in GCSE

You won't be the only one struggling, trust me theres loads of people finding it as difficult as you

Go throught the examples in the textbook and go through EVERY exam style q in the testbook, watch youtube videos on concepts you're struggling with, go through qs you don't understand with your teacher AFTER attempting it. The textbook for maths are usually very good especially for edexcel:yep:

You can do this believe it!!:biggrin:
Original post by SeanFM
Don't be too hard on yourself. It is very easy to have high standards of yourself and expect everything to go right the first time. This is what my driving instructor said he thought I suffered from, and I think it was true. I know it's easy to be disappointed but these things just take time. Especially in maths, you need to just spend time at home practicing questions and then you'll find that it clicks at some point or another.

Thank you! this is v motivating :smile: just about to do some maths work :smile:
Original post by hateme
M1 is actually one of the harder modules, c1 should be fine for anyone who got atleast a B in GCSE

You won't be the only one struggling, trust me theres loads of people finding it as difficult as you

Go throught the examples in the textbook and go through EVERY exam style q in the testbook, watch youtube videos on concepts you're struggling with, go through qs you don't understand with your teacher AFTER attempting it. The textbook for maths are usually very good especially for edexcel:yep:

You can do this believe it!!:biggrin:

Aw thank you! yes especially as i dont like physics and i feel a lot of physics type stuff is in it :/ Ahh i do edexcel! Thank you :smile: !
Go on youtube and watch a lot of videos on the topics from c1, fp1 ect and do lots of questions and after time you will be like wow maths is easy

good luck
Reply 14
Aw thank you! yes especially as i dont like physics and i feel a lot of physics type stuff is in it :/ Ahh i do edexcel! Thank you :smile: !

I dropped physics at AS cause it was so hard but I ended up with a high UMS in m1 and I found it really fun ironically

You just need to have some logic and common sense for some questions
When I have a q involving particles and stuff I invision it in my head :yep:
Reply 15

All you need to do well is

ExamSolutions
Textbook - Answer all questions
and a peng teacher [optional]
Reply 16
Original post by Naruke
All you need to do well is

ExamSolutions
Textbook - Answer all questions
and a peng teacher [optional]

A peng teacher is going to be distacting

B-but, I didn't take further maths for GCSE and I got an A in it at AS.

Quick Reply

Latest