The Student Room Group

Family??

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
It really depends on the situation and the types of people they are, because the reason can be any number of things. It might be that they subconsciously want to prove they're better than you to enforce a need to depend on their graciousness. It could be something else entirely. For the majority though, they won't even know that they're doing it.

My advice is that when you're low, you talk to one of your friends. I always used to internalise it and that resulted in some very negative situations for me and just made my mental health even worse. As they say, your friends are the family you choose and they ought to be able to bring you back up when you can't.
Reply 2
Original post by Bluebutterfly310
You may be right there, thank you for the advice and kind words. But unfortunately i dont have friends though.

Friends can be found in unexpected places. Mine are all on the internet, and a lot of them I haven't ever met, but it doesn't change that they help. And you know, if there's really no one you can think of then there's always me here :smile:

Keep in mind that you'll only be living with your family for a limited amount of time. Eventually, you'll be free of the regular negativity so you could focus on that fact if they're being derogatory.
Reply 3
That is true and thank you for the kind words, i really appreciate it.

Not a problem at all, I'm happy to help where I can :biggrin:

(And seriously, if you do need someone to talk to I'll be here. Not always a fast at replying but I always will.)
Reply 4
either because

a) they like to take their own failures at life out on you

or

b) because they think its 'reverse psychology' and that the more they put you down, the more likely you are to prove them wrong (my own dad tried that sh!t. thats why everyone hates his guts now... stupid man)
Hello
Can i ask why do some families like to make you feel worthless and make you feel like you know nothing at tall to the point you mood gets low and you feel like crying?
Any one got a answer for this or at least any advice ?
Thank you
Do you mean your family or other people's?

Original post by Allie4
either because

a) they like to take their own failures at life out on you

or

b) because they think its 'reverse psychology' and that the more they put you down, the more likely you are to prove them wrong (my own dad tried that sh!t. thats why everyone hates his guts now... stupid man)
Honeestly if anyone is even remotely vulnerable this can break a person it's a very fine like between tough love and damaging someone in an attempt to toughen them up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending