The Student Room Group

I can't contribute in class...

Can you relate?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
I have a similar problem; teachers picked me to answer something and immediately I couldn't answer even though I knew what the solution was moments before. What I did was talk to my teachers and they were surprisingly understanding and wouldn't ask me questions unless I made it clear I was volunteering.

As for feeling awkward raising your hand, you could always start with raising it when no one else has an answer to avoid direct competition, so to speak, and build up a bit of confidence that way. Remember that it is entirely natural to get things wrong though :smile:
Reply 2
oh my goodness, i feel the exact same way! teachers always pick on me and i always mutter and mumble the response, blushing bright red!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MartynaJP6
Hello everyone! I have a question, and I really would appreciate any advice. I know this may sound stupid but I feel awkward just raising my hand in class to answer a question even when I know the answer. I feel like my teachers will think I'm not good at the subject! I have often been referred to as a quiet student, people often laugh when you get the answer wrong and I'm just so afraid of being laughed at! Any advice?

Never had this problem at all.

Start by answering questions you are sure you know the answer to.
Reading up on your subject is handy. The questions are predictable.
Once youve answered one then keep answering if you know it.
Its good for your confidence.
Its good for exams.

I was never afraid of getting things wrong.- at least you are trying.
Even where you are guessing then you can start it off by saying I am not sure or this is a complete guess, but is it...
That way youve already made them aware it could be wrong.
Your teachers will appreciate the effort and be encouraged.
I never cared what other people thought.-

Btw if you are afraid teachers will pikc on you or ask you the question you dont know, then get your answer in early and they are more likely to ask someone else the next one. It works at Uni and everywhere else as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Same happens to me ... then if someone asks me I get all flustered and can't think properly.
Happened in my core class the other day because my new teacher is scary :frown: xx
Original post by Kia_72
I have a similar problem; teachers picked me to answer something and immediately I couldn't answer even though I knew what the solution was moments before. What I did was talk to my teachers and they were surprisingly understanding and wouldn't ask me questions unless I made it clear I was volunteering.

As for feeling awkward raising your hand, you could always start with raising it when no one else has an answer to avoid direct competition, so to speak, and build up a bit of confidence that way. Remember that it is entirely natural to get things wrong though :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
Never had this problem at all.

Start by answering questions you are sure you know the answer to.
Reading up on your subject is handy. The questions are predictable.
Once youve answered one then keep answering if you know it.
Its good for your confidence.
Its good for exams.

I was never afraid of getting things wrong.- at least you are trying.
Even where you are guessing then you can start it off by saying I am not sure or this is a complete guess, but is it...
That way youve already made them aware it could be wrong.
Your teachers will appreciate the effort and be encouraged.
I never cared what other people thought.-

Btw if you are afraid teachers will pikc on you or ask you the question you dont know, then get your answer in early and they are more likely to ask someone else the next one. It works at Uni and everywhere else as well.

This is the thing, if I hear someone gossiping about me or saying stuff behind my back, I don't care at all, let them say what they say because in the end it shows how arrogant they are. But when it comes to contributing in class I feel so shy and awkward. But thank you for the advice, I will definitely use it! :smile:
Original post by ?Hannah
oh my goodness, i feel the exact same way! teachers always pick on me and i always mutter and mumble the response, blushing bright red!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know right! It's just I've heard other people contribute and make an error, and then they get laughed at! This mainly happens in my physics, chemistry and biology classes, the other ones are a bit better
Hello everyone! I have a question, and I really would appreciate any advice. I know this may sound stupid but I feel awkward just raising my hand in class to answer a question even when I know the answer. I feel like my teachers will think I'm not good at the subject! I have often been referred to as a quiet student, people often laugh when you get the answer wrong and I'm just so afraid of being laughed at! Any advice?

Teachers don't expect you to know everything, lovely. That's why they ask questions- to see if the information has gone in.
Just try and keep calm and take a deep breath. You will be just fine. The more you worry about it, the more self-conscious you will. Have faith in yourself, and if you get it wrong and someone laughs,, as I tell my grandchildren, hold your head high and your middle finger even higher. X
Original post by Seamus123
Teachers don't expect you to know everything, lovely. That's why they ask questions- to see if the information has gone in.
Just try and keep calm and take a deep breath. You will be just fine. The more you worry about it, the more self-conscious you will. Have faith in yourself, and if you get it wrong and someone laughs,, as I tell my grandchildren, hold your head high and your middle finger even higher. X

Thank you so much. This is very reassuring, I will definitely use the advice!
They'll think you're stupid if you don't ever put your hand up as they wont realise that you do actually know the answers. So it's a lose lose situation if you don't put your hand up
Thank you so much. This is very reassuring, I will definitely use the advice!

That's the stuff! Go get 'em! X
So you get the answer wrong? So people laugh? So what? If you know the answer speak up. Life is about being uncomfortable. The faster you come to terms with it, the more resilient you will become. Getting stuff wrong is a good thing. Every time we fail, our minds grows.
how are people scared to raise their hands up? If you get the answer wrong of course people will laugh because thats the natural reaction right?

Someone is confident -> puts hand up -> gets wrong

however i dont believe its right but its still funny just like how people laugh when they get told off

Im exactly like you. You do not need to say much because they will see how good u are when you do mock a levels anyways. I was a very quiet student, didnt answer questions, didnt talk to anyone and I got A*AA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending