The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Predicted AAA can I apply for A*AA?

So given that the reformed A-Levels are now linear, and even though I took the As exams this year they do not count- I am being predicted AAA at A-level. I wondered if it would be worth me applying to study law at one A*AA university (Kings College London) as I've had my heart set on it for a while now, the rest of my university choices will obviously still be AAA or lower.
Also with a uni like KCL, will my socio-economic background be taken into account when deciding if I will be offered place? And can great LNAT performance and an outstanding personal statement make up for my slightly lower predicted grades?

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah you can apply still, it doesn't matter if your one grade down, AAA is fine
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
seriously, ring up the uni directly it takes max 5 minutes, ask the admissions officer if it's worth applying and if they'll even consider you with that. You don't want to waste an option. Entry requirements are generally the minimum.
Reply 3
Original post by medhelp
seriously, ring up the uni directly it takes max 5 minutes, ask the admissions officer if it's worth applying and if they'll even consider you with that. You don't want to waste an option. Entry requirements are generally the minimum.

The thing is, I've been told by quite a few universities (Warwick included) that entry requirements are just a guideline saying that they may accept application over or just shy of their requirements. I'm just not sure is they mean on results day when an offer has already been placed at A*AA, for example, but AAA are the actual results or if they are willing to offer a place to someone who has been predicted a little less than the entry requirement, to begin with.
Original post by vanessawlsn
The thing is, I've been told by quite a few universities (Warwick included) that entry requirements are just a guideline saying that they may accept application over or just shy of their requirements. I'm just not sure is they mean on results day when an offer has already been placed at A*AA, for example, but AAA are the actual results or if they are willing to offer a place to someone who has been predicted a little less than the entry requirement, to begin with.

Im pretty sure thats referring to results day, I've had similar emails too. Courses like Law, especially at Warwick would be heavily oversubscribed so its a risk to apply with lower entry requirements.
Reply 5
Original post by Ze Witcher
Im pretty sure thats referring to results day, I've had similar emails too. Courses like Law, especially at Warwick would be heavily oversubscribed so its a risk to apply with lower entry requirements.

For Warwick entry requirements are AAA, I was just referencing what I've been told by other Russel Group universities
So given that the reformed A-Levels are now linear, and even though I took the As exams this year they do not count- I am being predicted AAA at A-level. I wondered if it would be worth me applying to study law at one A*AA university (Kings College London) as I've had my heart set on it for a while now, the rest of my university choices will obviously still be AAA or lower.
Also with a uni like KCL, will my socio-economic background be taken into account when deciding if I will be offered place? And can great LNAT performance and an outstanding personal statement make up for my slightly lower predicted grades?

Thanks.

Contact admissions, I found them super helpful and honest. I got an offer for my course based on term 1 of my foundation year (got 65%, had to hit 70%, actually got 69.4% overall), so I still got an offer (albeit for different course to you). When I phoned them about my actual results they said that even though I'd just missed my conditions by 0.6% it would have been enough in previous years but they couldn't guarantee it would be enough for this year however it wasn't a lost cause.
Reply 7
This is so odd but I want to apply to Kings with same grades for the same course as well, are you going to call them up? I'm not sure if I will.
Reply 8
Original post by stekrose
This is so odd but I want to apply to Kings with same grades for the same course as well, are you going to call them up? I'm not sure if I will.

I did end up calling them and was told you have to be predicted A*AA to even be considered. So I'm probably going to end up speaking to my teacher if she thinks I could possibly get an A* in her subject and see where it goes from there. :smile:
Reply 9
I did end up calling them and was told you have to be predicted A*AA to even be considered. So I'm probably going to end up speaking to my teacher if she thinks I could possibly get an A* in her subject and see where it goes from there. :smile:

Well I spoke to my teacher for RE and she told me it's possible to get an A* but she won't predict it. In my school we aren't predicted A*s which is sad. I might call them up and tell them about my predicament. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest