The Student Room Group

Reapplying whilst at a different university

Hello.

I would like to know if anyone has any experience with reapplying to Oxford while being enrolled at a different university. I wish to follow that route, but I have heard ,from a few experienced counselors, that this is going to weaken my application. I wonder whether it is really true, and if so, what are the specific consequences that I'm going to suffer.
There's absolutely no way you can transfer to Oxford without the particular grades that they asked for and they'll certainly not take in a student from another university unless it was cambridge.
Reply 2
I am not thinking about transfer. I am reapplying through UCAS, following the normal procedure. Yet, I am not taking a gap year to do so- I intend on attending a different university and dropping out if I get my Oxford offer. I have achieved satisfactory grades for my A-Levels, so retakes are not an issue.
Original post by Vividly clear
and they'll certainly not take in a student from another university unless it was cambridge.

That's absolute nonsense.
Reply 4
Original post by Diraculous
I am not thinking about transfer. I am reapplying through UCAS, following the normal procedure. Yet, I am not taking a gap year to do so- I intend on attending a different university and dropping out if I get my Oxford offer. I have achieved satisfactory grades for my A-Levels, so retakes are not an issue.

Hey, I am also reapplying while studying at another uni. I also was really scared that it might harm my chances but then I decided to just ask the colleges I thought about applying to. I called a few colleges and all of them said it was fine and that it wouldn't matter. Once I was told that they had a student in my subject who did exactly that :smile: Ultimately they are looking for the best students/applicants and whether you are currently at uni shouldn't play a role. At least this is what I was told :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by scblx
Hey, I am also reapplying while studying at another uni. I also was really scared that it might harm my chances but then I decided to just ask the colleges I thought about applying to. I called a few colleges and all of them said it was fine and that it wouldn't matter. Once I was told that they had a student in my subject who did exactly that :smile: Ultimately they are looking for the best students/applicants and whether you are currently at uni shouldn't play a role. At least this is what I was told :smile:

Hey! Thanks for the answer! One thing I am still not sure of: are we supposed to put our universities down in the section where you should put all the schools and qualifications? I have put down my secondary schools and all the A-Level details, but I wasn't sure about this one.
Reply 6
Hey! Thanks for the answer! One thing I am still not sure of: are we supposed to put our universities down in the section where you should put all the schools and qualifications? I have put down my secondary schools and all the A-Level details, but I wasn't sure about this one.

I think we should. I asked UCAS and their answer was to put down the uni and select "no qualification" (because we won't have any qualification after the first year) and to mention it in the PS :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by scblx
I think we should. I asked UCAS and their answer was to put down the uni and select "no qualification" (because we won't have any qualification after the first year) and to mention it in the PS :smile:

Alright, thank you. :smile: Out of curiosity, can I ask you which subject are you applying for?
Reply 8
Alright, thank you. :smile: Out of curiosity, can I ask you which subject are you applying for?

PPE! :smile: what about you?
Reply 9
I would like to know if anyone has any experience with reapplying to Oxford while being enrolled at a different university. I wish to follow that route, but I have heard ,from a few experienced counselors, that this is going to weaken my application. I wonder whether it is really true, and if so, what are the specific consequences that I'm going to suffer.

Are you reapplying for the same or a similar subject? If so, the concern for an Oxford tutor would be that you're sending a pretty clear signal that you're more interested in Oxford than your degree subject. Oxford is an excellent university, there's no denying that, but there will be opportunities to study there at a higher level if you're really serious academically.
Reply 10
Original post by scblx
PPE! :smile: what about you?

Materials Science :smile:

Original post by BJack
Are you reapplying for the same or a similar subject? If so, the concern for an Oxford tutor would be that you're sending a pretty clear signal that you're more interested in Oxford than your degree subject. Oxford is an excellent university, there's no denying that, but there will be opportunities to study there at a higher level if you're really serious academically.

Recognized that as a potential trouble, but the reality is, I am not really reapplying to Oxford for the sake of it. I'm changing my subject choice from Chemistry to Materials, and there is no such course at my university. I would have considered staying at my current uni if not for that, as it is obviously less troublesome to transfer than do the whole application all over again, but I do not have that option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending