Can someone check if this is

2-hydroxy-2-methylpropanenitrile

(sorry for my bad drawing :3chem.png)
Reply 1
Original post by kiiten

(sorry for my bad drawing :3chem.png)

Almost. It's 2-Hydroxy-2-methylpropiononitrile.
Reply 2
Original post by alow
Almost. It's 2-Hydroxy-2-methylpropiononitrile.

^^^ where did you get that from. I havent come across that before?? :s-smilie:

This is from the isomerism and carbonyl topic btw
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by kiiten
^^^ where did you get that from. I havent come across that before?? :s-smilie:

Oh actually it looks like yours is right too. The one I wrote is how I was always taught, but naming nitriles has changed since then.
Original post by kiiten

Acetone cyanohydrin can be used to I think.
Reply 5
Original post by alow
Oh actually it looks like yours is right too. The one I wrote is how I was always taught, but naming nitriles has changed since then.

Oh. Thanks :smile: - i thought it might have been different spelling from where you live. I guess not :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by kiiten
Oh. Thanks :smile: - i thought it might have been different spelling from where you live. I guess not :biggrin:

Nah Wiki lists both of them as names of the compound. Just for extra info, what people actually call that compound is Acetone cyanohydrin, although never say that if you're asked for the systematic name of course. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by alow
Nah Wiki lists both of them as names of the compound. Just for extra info, what people actually call that compound is Acetone cyanohydrin, although never say that if you're asked for the systematic name of course. :smile:

Ahh. Of course :smile: - ive always been told to write the systematic name (it would be quite unusual if i was asked for the common name in an exam)
Reply 8
Original post by kiiten
Ahh. Of course :smile: - ive always been told to write the systematic name (it would be quite unusual if i was asked for the common name in an exam)

Yeah in A Level exams always write systematic names as that's what they're looking for.

I'm not sure what would happen if they asked for the name and didn't mention it had to be systematic and you gave the common name. I would imagine they couldn't take the mark away from you.
Reply 9
Original post by kiiten
X

I just did a quick check in IUPAC's "Principles of Chemical Nomenclature" (seriously this is literally the most boring book).

It appears that your answer is the only correct one as if you use an -ionitrile, you can't have any other substituents (like the methyl and hydroxy groups in your compound). So yeah. IUPAC being IUPAC :tongue:

My chemical drawing program named it the same as me too, so it's probably a recent addition to the rules.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by alow
I just did a quick check in IUPAC's "Principles of Chemical Nomenclature" (seriously this is literally the most boring book).

It appears that your answer is the only correct one as if you use an -ionitrile, you can't have any other substituents (like the methyl and hydroxy groups in your compound). So yeah. IUPAC being IUPAC :tongue:

My chemical drawing program named it the same as me too, so it's probably a recent addition to the rules.

I see, thanks for your help :smile:

So if the hydrocarbon had just a CN would it be -ionitrile?
Reply 11
Original post by kiiten
I see, thanks for your help :smile:

So if the hydrocarbon had just a CN would it be -ionitrile?

If it was just a CN, it can be either. Just stick with the way you name nitriles.

Quick Reply

Latest