The Student Room Group

Kate Upton "Not standing up to the national anthem is disgraceful"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L i b
I think that's generally just called being a bit of a prat.

Ah, well, it's a good job then that I don't give a **** what you think as I don't know you and you don't know me.
At 68, I'm not the sort of person who does things because everyone else does them. I have a mind and will of my own. I don't agree with the Monarchy and I'm not going to pretend something I don't believe in.
It's a naff song anyway, I'll never understand this obsession yanks have with it.
it is just rude and attention seeking to disrespect the National Anthem in public.
What is Kate Upton,s view on miming the National Anthem as Beyonce did once? I think that is worse.
Original post by Prince_fancybum
The men and women who fight for their country do so to protect the rights of its citizens; not standing to the national anthem is one of those rights. Personally I agree that its disrespectful but respect their right to protest.

I don't see kneeling as disrespectful - surely it's an alternative way of being respectful whilst acknowledging that there are still serious national difficulties that merit protest?
Original post by redplant

These adults are more than capable of expressing their gratitude and support towards their troops without having to go along with this charade they've been brainwashed with since childhood.

Are you talking US or UK? This sudden dearth of nationalism is very recent in the UK. Probably in the last year or so in fact.
Original post by HucktheForde

"In my opinion, the national anthem is a symbolic song about our country."

The national anthem means different things to different people, a bit like religious books. People don't have to respect it, they can mock it or ignore it.

Obviously the guy was doing this to get this very reaction, just like everyone in this 'movement' nobody has an argument and it's all about shambolic symbolism, that one perfect image that completely misrepresents the scenario that they can use in place of a valid argument.

We see it all the time from the left and their ilk, Palestine has a mini industry set up for it known as 'Pallywood'.
There was the picture of the little boy who drowned of the coast of Greece that caused a media storm and made our MPs open the borders to 20,000 'child' refugees.
There was another about the BLM movement that showed some black woman that left her child at home and went to American protests (pre-looting warm-ups) in a sort of evening gown that was in the papers a few weeks back as well.

I'm glad they called themselves a movement and maybe one day the bowel that is our society at present will pass them.
I can understand why he'd prefer not to stand for the American national anthem under normal circumstances but I'd have thought on 9/11 he'd have made an exception. You're certainly going to make no friends by kneeling on what many Americans now see as a very important date in the calendar.

I remember that, during the 2012 Olympic & Paralympic games, we were told to stand for all national anthems but only had to stand to attention during the UK’s.
Original post by ByEeek
Are you talking US or UK? This sudden dearth of nationalism is very recent in the UK. Probably in the last year or so in fact.

US of course, UK isn't quite seeing a rise but rather it being brought to the surface.

In the US it's ingrained since you're a child, anthem played everyday at school and you're expected to face the flag with your hand on your heart every time, it's insane.
Only the fringe elements in the UK would devote that much time to express their love for the Jack, the general population at large has always been far off from it, less every decade.
If they're not proud of their country, they can get out of it. Disgraceful behaviour.
Well, if Kate Upton says it, it must be true!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Funny how those condeming "Generation Snowflake" for being so easily offended.....are offended.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Seamus123
Ah, well, it's a good job then that I don't give a **** what you think as I don't know you and you don't know me.
At 68, I'm not the sort of person who does things because everyone else does them. I have a mind and will of my own. I don't agree with the Monarchy and I'm not going to pretend something I don't believe in.

I don't really mind if you don't agree with the monarchy, nor do most monarchists. I think it's pathetic at your age, making a show of yourself in that sort of way. In a public setting, frankly, no-one cares about your daft little protests - it's neither the time nor the place.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I don't see kneeling as disrespectful - surely it's an alternative way of being respectful whilst acknowledging that there are still serious national difficulties that merit protest?

Yeah fair point actually I didn't notice that.
Original post by L i b
I think it's pathetic at your age, making a show of yourself in that sort of way. In a public setting, frankly, no-one cares about your daft little protests - it's neither the time nor the place.

Chill, have some boobies.

She got Triggered.
Reply 36
The national anthem represents EVERYBODY in the country. Yes, it's in your rights to not stand during it, but doing so is disrespectful to those who gave you those rights in the first place.
Guy needs some respect, don't even care :dontknow:
Reply 38
Original post by ByEeek
This is a very new phenomenon. There has been a long tradition of celebrities, sportsmen and women and politicians who don't know the words to our national anthem. But as for a mark of our identity and to the brave soles who lost their lives in numerous pointless battles in our history - are you sure?

"God save our gracious Queen..." So basically, we are singing about a fictitious entity saving a German woman who has been made head of our country simply because of her parents? And we are supposed to be proud of that fact?

There is nothing un-nationalistic about not standing behind our anthem. If anything, those who protest or ignore it are simply exercising their democratic right to do so. If you want to live in a country where everyone stands to the anthem or gets shot for disobedience, go and live in North Korea.

Filthy Republican scum, go masturbate over Corbyn
Reply 39
hey this is the freedom of speech/expression that you all cried for during the charlie hebdo attacks. don't complain now when people choose to exercise that right...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending