The Student Room Group

Life is downhill for a woman after kids and marriage

Scroll to see replies

Having children is a choice.
Ah, spotted the feminst.
And guess what they call me...
HUGH MUNGUS!
Original post by Sarahsez
Nice to know you enjoyed it. Just wondering now that your children have grown up only now you've decided to go to university? ?

I was born in 1948 and was a foundling baby, left on the steps of a children's home at less than 24 hours old. I grew up in care and children in care did not go to university. You had to go out and earn your living.
By 1998, my children had all left home, and I did an Access to the Humanities and in 1999, I started my Criminology degree. One of my daughters had a baby boy who was very ill and she was unable to care for him, so he came to live with me, and I had to drop out of uni as his needs were high. I never sent him to school. I homeschooled him and he is now 17 and started college last year and I went back to university to do my Criminology degree. I have 16 grandchildren and I love them all to pieces, but I am 68 now and want to do my own thing.
Life doesn't have to be a drag - everything in the garden isn't always rosy, but then you take the good with the bad. X
That's what society expects. Toomuch fun and you're instantly a bad irresponsible mother. Fathers get away with everything.

yeah it's true, I rarely see fathers getting in trouble for having fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
Marriage is so overrated. All my friends that have gotten married look so miserable, frumpy, bored and stressed out of their life.

Once you have children. Life ends for a woman. Freedom and fun is over. Responsibility takes over. Your body is never the same after pregnancy. You can't enjoy your holidays anymore because you have your kids hanging around. You go out partying and leave your kid with a minder, you're a bad mother. You become a stay in mum, you're lazy and should get a job. Not to forget you're a doormat, if it's your husband that has persuaded you to stay at home.

If you're a working mother, It's stressing and exhausting, you have no time for yourself. It's a chaotic life made even worse by the fact your husband never helps you out or lifts a finger when he's home. Being a full-time working mother can lead to feelings of guilt and stress because of divided attention between work and family.

Having children suck! Id rather have 10 cats for company.

Hope this doesn't offend you, but what nationality are you?
Women have to take responsibility after they get married and have kids. Men have to take responsibility from the day they go to uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
the advent of labor-saving gadgets has made the housewife's life much easier

Original post by the bear
the advent of labor-saving gadgets has made the housewife's life much easier

Disposable nappies were the best ever invention. Took hours boiling terry nappies on top of the cooker.
Says the male.

Joke. Can you tell why you think OP is rubbish?

If I made this 'joke' the mods will start cr-...nevermind
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, it does. Especially if they have them younger, 35 years of age, unskilled and now your kids are moving out. Grim

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Each to their own. From what I've seen its usually men who are a lot more miserable after the kids (that THEY wanted!) come along and they realise the harsh reality of having a screaming brat who kills your sex life and you have to spend every penny and ounce of your energy on.

The mothers usually look pretty happy (albeit tired) after becoming mothers.
most people don't go out partying when they are 30 anyway true they take away a lot of freedom but who wants to be fifty and with no kids
Reply 32
Original post by NightWriter
Although you're exaggerating and being melodramatic, I do think that the overused formula marriage + kids = happiness seem to be drilled into too many minds and too deeply. Also, the way you just constructed this question is going to have people throw at you the 'selfish' card which can be thrown back twice as hard at people who do have kids. Basically, having children sucks if you have them for many reasons other than actually wanting to nourish a child with time, money and love. I know that sounds obvious, but all you have to do is give them an anonymous forum and they will flood it with reasons as to why they had them in the first place: it's what you did; society says so; I didn't want to be alone; I wanted to have one to keep my man/woman; I wanted to pass on the family name and on and on it goes, some plainly admitting that they even regret having them. I just think they'd be a lot less cases of abuse and adoptive children if there wasn't such a stigma for not having kids. Having children can be the most amazing thing you've ever done in your life - the best gift you have been given - and that's great! Wish we had more people like that! But it shouldn't be "sold" as the only means of fulfilment.

Thank you, I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending