The Student Room Group

Physics question help

Two tugboats are towing a ship in a straight line Tug A is pulling with a force of 50kN at 60 degrees to the direction in which the ship is moving. Tug B is pulling at 30 degrees to the direction in which the ship is moving. Draw the sketch and then calculate the magnitude of:
a) the resultant force on the ship
b) the force from tug B
Thanks in advance !
I have the same question as homework. What college/sixth form do you go to?
Original post by leopard923
Two tugboats are towing a ship in a straight line Tug A is pulling with a force of 50kN at 60 degrees to the direction in which the ship is moving. Tug B is pulling at 30 degrees to the direction in which the ship is moving. Draw the sketch and then calculate the magnitude of:
a) the resultant force on the ship
b) the force from tug B
Thanks in advance !

Pretty straight forward question, what have you tried?
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
Pretty straight forward question, what have you tried?

Im just not sure what to use? I have only started physics AS so this is new for me- should I use trigonometry? can you please explain how you get an answer it would be much appreciated :biggrin:
Im just not sure what to use? I have only started physics AS so this is new for me- should I use trigonometry? can you please explain how you get an answer it would be much appreciated :biggrin:

I haven't even taken Physics at A-Level, only did these types in Mechanics in maths, so I don't know if you MUST do part a before part b, because from my working I do part b first.

Anyhow, draw a diagram. A big ship going along a dotted horizontal line. Then draw two directions of tension, one 60 degrees from the horizontal, and the other 30 degrees from the horizontal on the other side of the dotted line.

Since the ship only moves horizontally, this means the vertical forces must be equal from both tensions therefore you can find the tension of B using trigonometry.

Once you have that, you can find the resultant force on the ship with trig as well.
Reply 5
I haven't even taken Physics at A-Level, only did these types in Mechanics in maths, so I don't know if you MUST do part a before part b, because from my working I do part b first.

Anyhow, draw a diagram. A big ship going along a dotted horizontal line. Then draw two directions of tension, one 60 degrees from the horizontal, and the other 30 degrees from the horizontal on the other side of the dotted line.

Since the ship only moves horizontally, this means the vertical forces must be equal from both tensions therefore you can find the tension of B using trigonometry.

Once you have that, you can find the resultant force on the ship with trig as well.

ok I think I understand so I will have a go ! Thank you!
Reply 6
I'm not sure I'm right but is the tug b 86.6 kN ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure I'm right but is the tug b 86.6 kN ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but if you use the exact answer you'd get a really nice answer for the resultant force.
Reply 8
Yeah but if you use the exact answer you'd get a really nice answer for the resultant force.

Ok thank you!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest