The Student Room Group

How do I get references when I've never had a job before?

I'm almost certain I've got the job I was recently interviewed for, but they told me to bring 2 references to the induction day. I've never had a job, It will be my first if I get it as I'm in sixth form. Near enough all of my teachers from last year have left my school and the ones that remain, I don't get on very well with! I have no idea who to ask as the dedicated careers area in my school is so hectic trying to organise timetables and work experience and volunteering!

What should I do?
Original post by pbms0101
I'm almost certain I've got the job I was recently interviewed for, but they told me to bring 2 references to the induction day. I've never had a job, It will be my first if I get it as I'm in sixth form. Near enough all of my teachers from last year have left my school and the ones that remain, I don't get on very well with! I have no idea who to ask as the dedicated careers area in my school is so hectic trying to organise timetables and work experience and volunteering!

What should I do?

In Scotland we have 'guidance teachers', that teach you about topics such as sexual health, mental health etc, and are much like personal advisers? So if you have anyone like that then that would be fine. Even if you need to use your careers advisers at your school it's ok if they're quite busy, they only need to be told that you're going to use them as a reference, and they will just need to answer the phone or reply to a letter. They are there for that purpose so they can't turn you away. For the second reference it can be any professional who isn't a member of your family, for example, I had a friend of the family who worked as part of the Civil Service, but it can be someone like your dentist if you have a regular one, a family doctor, etc etc. Just someone who can let them know about your personality. Hope that might help slightly.
Reply 2
Original post by chunkyandfunky
In Scotland we have 'guidance teachers', that teach you about topics such as sexual health, mental health etc, and are much like personal advisers? So if you have anyone like that then that would be fine. Even if you need to use your careers advisers at your school it's ok if they're quite busy, they only need to be told that you're going to use them as a reference, and they will just need to answer the phone or reply to a letter. They are there for that purpose so they can't turn you away. For the second reference it can be any professional who isn't a member of your family, for example, I had a friend of the family who worked as part of the Civil Service, but it can be someone like your dentist if you have a regular one, a family doctor, etc etc. Just someone who can let them know about your personality. Hope that might help slightly.

Thank you!
Hey there,

Well done for the interview - sounds like it went well?

This article might really help you, it's about what to do if you have no references: http://advice.milkround.com/what-can-i-do-i-have-no-references

It's good some hood ideas of who can be your reference if you are unable to get one from an employer.

I hope this helps and I hope you hear back from your interview soon!

What should I do?

Do you belong to any society, club, faith group, cadets or any other organised activity that has an adult in charge - they could give you a reference. Your School should be able to give at least a generic one, based on your records.

What should I do?

School teachers wise- cant you ask your old form tutor or head of year. Failing that, you would have to ask your careers teacher. Or you could ask a 6th form teacher or someone.
Do you belong to any club, society, faith group, etc such as cadets or any other organised activity that has an adult in charge - they could give you a reference if you asked them.
Also have you done any work experience/volunteering anywhere- if you have someone from there could give you a reference.
Failing that- a family friend or someone could give you a character reference, preferably someone who holds some sort of decent job (like a police man/woman, teacher, banker etc) and not someone with the same surname.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending