The Student Room Group

Dropping Maths

I've recently started my A-Levels and I'm thinking about dropping Maths. I take Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Maths. I got an A in my GCSE Maths but I don't enjoy the subject. I wanna study medicine at uni do I need A level maths or can I get away with just a GCSE?
If you REALLY want to do medicine at uni, and have a passion for it, then I would say stick with it, as maths is very important to take medicine. Why do you not enjoy the subject - do you struggle at it or just not enjoy it?
I don't necessarily find it hard but it does take time for me to fully understand some concepts. What can I do to increase my interest in the subject as well as secure a decent grade?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
sorry to go off topic, but I am thinking of taking maths as one of my alevels and we have to decide essentially now which subjects we are taking. Is it very difficult? Is the workload manageable? Thank you!
I've only had two double lessons which have mostly been introductory, so I can't really say if it's difficult. However some people say as long as you put the work in and do what you need to do when you need to do it, it should be manageable. Every person is different so ask your current teacher if they think A level maths would be suitable for you or look at some past papers and the content covered at A level this should give you an idea of the subject as a whole.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Rufaidah Aziz
I've only had two double lessons which have mostly been introductory, so I can't really say if it's difficult. However some people say as long as you put the work in and do what you need to do when you need to do it, it should be manageable. Every person is different so ask your current teacher if they think A level maths would be suitable for you or look at some past papers and the content covered at A level this should give you an idea of the subject as a whole.

Thank you!)
Original post by Tstarx
sorry to go off topic, but I am thinking of taking maths as one of my alevels and we have to decide essentially now which subjects we are taking. Is it very difficult? Is the workload manageable? Thank you!

After getting B's after B's for 2 years, I finally got an A in my GCSE, so I'm not the best mathematician in the world. But in A-Level what I do is do questions everyday based on what I did on that day's lesson. In my school, at least, even though the homeworks are greater than GCSE, the deadlines are do-able. The difficulty of it would depend on the person though.
Original post by Rufaidah Aziz
I don't necessarily find it hard but it does take time for me to fully understand some concepts. What can I do to increase my interest in the subject as well as secure a decent grade?

I'm the same as you. If we learn new concepts in class, sometimes I don't get them straight away and I have to go home and do questions on it to understand. To increase your interest on it, try and revise/learn stuff in fun ways, also if you have any friends taking it, create a little study group in your frees/spare time, so if any of you are struggling, you can help eachother.
Reply 8
Original post by Tstarx

Not that hard if you keep up with practice and refresh your memory. AS is fairly straightforward, and the workload isn't as much as my other subjects for sure since all I do with Maths is practice.
Original post by 11easkry
I'm the same as you. If we learn new concepts in class, sometimes I don't get them straight away and I have to go home and do questions on it to understand. To increase your interest on it, try and revise/learn stuff in fun ways, also if you have any friends taking it, create a little study group in your frees/spare time, so if any of you are struggling, you can help eachother.

Thank you
Reply 10
Original post by mathcon
Not that hard if you keep up with practice and refresh your memory. AS is fairly straightforward, and the workload isn't as much as my other subjects for sure since all I do with Maths is practice.

Thank you!
Reply 11
Original post by 11easkry
After getting B's after B's for 2 years, I finally got an A in my GCSE, so I'm not the best mathematician in the world. But in A-Level what I do is do questions everyday based on what I did on that day's lesson. In my school, at least, even though the homeworks are greater than GCSE, the deadlines are do-able. The difficulty of it would depend on the person though.

Thank you for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest