The Student Room Group

Notice period at Tesco

I have worked at Tesco for 7 weeks now (upcoming backstory, not necessary to read) but the management have been absolutely horrendous, the worst I have worked for and I previously worked at a shop I loved but left due to it being closed down but received a phone call asking me to work at a new store closer to me than Tesco with better pay.

Main question is, if I have only worked at Tesco for 7 weeks, how much notice will I need to give?
Thanks
Reply 1
Your contract will state what notice you have to give.

If you have only been there 7 weeks though just leave and dont put it on your CV. If you dont use it as a reference no one will ever hold it against you.
Original post by whiteelephant7
I have worked at Tesco for 7 weeks now (upcoming backstory, not necessary to read) but the management have been absolutely horrendous, the worst I have worked for and I previously worked at a shop I loved but left due to it being closed down but received a phone call asking me to work at a new store closer to me than Tesco with better pay.

Main question is, if I have only worked at Tesco for 7 weeks, how much notice will I need to give?
Thanks

Check your contract, it should say on there how much notice you have to give. If it doesnt say, then id just give 2 weeks or something.
Original post by Emma:-)
Check your contract, it should say on there how much notice you have to give. If it doesnt say, then id just give 2 weeks or something.

Funny thing is, I can't remember ever signing a contract! I went to induction but never signed any sort of contract about hours or pay from what I recall, just uniform orders! I handed it in today and gave 10 days notice which they expressed their thanks as it was more than what they expected me to give so god knows how long I was actually supposed to give!
Original post by r4dly
Your contract will state what notice you have to give.

If you have only been there 7 weeks though just leave and dont put it on your CV. If you dont use it as a reference no one will ever hold it against you.

Is it bad to put it down as a temporary job? Teachers in college always told us if we left a job/volunteering or placement on our own accord just to put it down as temporary and if people ever asked why you had a temporary job (or so many) to use an excuse such as 'you didn't want to take a permanent job through uni to have to let the employee down if exam season became too stressful' etc. That, coming from teachers! But I guess it must work ahahah
usually a week for retail
Reply 6
Funny thing is, I can't remember ever signing a contract! I went to induction but never signed any sort of contract about hours or pay from what I recall, just uniform orders! I handed it in today and gave 10 days notice which they expressed their thanks as it was more than what they expected me to give so god knows how long I was actually supposed to give!

Okay, sounds like you are on a 0 hours contract.

This means, Tesco are not obliged to offer you shifts and you are not obliged to work shifts, even if there is a rota you can still be on a 0 hours contract. Its ad-hoc, this means there is no notice period and 10 days is very considerate of you.

On your CV you can say you had a 0 hours contract, or you were a 'casual' worker.

Hope this helps you, just keep in mind on 0 hours contracts Tesco probably wouldnt give you any notice period if they let you go.
(edited 7 years ago)
Is it bad to put it down as a temporary job? Teachers in college always told us if we left a job/volunteering or placement on our own accord just to put it down as temporary and if people ever asked why you had a temporary job (or so many) to use an excuse such as 'you didn't want to take a permanent job through uni to have to let the employee down if exam season became too stressful' etc. That, coming from teachers! But I guess it must work ahahah

That sounds like a reasonable excuse to put. You are leaving on decent terms as well (with giving a decent amount of notice etc) so there shouldnt be a problem. Have you got another job to go to? If so, you will never need this job again for references etc. So i wouldnt worry.
Reply 8
Hi I'm in my second year at Tesco an express store do you know how much notice I would need to give
Original post by Sarahh40
Hi I'm in my second year at Tesco an express store do you know how much notice I would need to give

@Sarahh40

Hi Sarah xx

Anything under a year at tesco is one week notice for leaving.
As you are over a year it's a month notice you'll need to give them.

You could just leave at anytime with letter stating as from xxxx date you leaving as you'll only lose any pay due or holidays at worse okay .
Best of luck wherever you going to next ok and hope you enjoyed time you were there x

A T/Leader with tesco xx
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending