The Student Room Group

Let's see if the Remainians were right.

They said the EU would never make an army, today it's HQ is being set up.
They said the shock would send us into a recession. Now even the worst forecasts predict continued growth and the FTSE 100 has soared.

So let's all thank the common sense of the UK public to ignore the ruling establishment.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by james813
They said the shock would send us into a recession. Now even the worst forecasts predict continued growth and the FTSE 100 has soared.

So let's all thank the common sense of the UK public to ignore the ruling establishment.

No they didnt.

You also wont know what the impact of BREXIT will be until it happens and we have 1,2,3,5,10,15 years data to look at.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You also wont know what the impact of BREXIT will be until it happens and we have 1,2,3,5,10,15 years data to look at.

(((they))) said there would be instant recession
So firstly a lot of those forecasts were based on the assumption that article 50 would be invoked immediately. It will be really hard to tell whether Brexit is good or bad until after it actually happens.

Also FTSE100 is not a good indicator.

Literally don't care if the EU has an army or not.

Basically it's too early early to determine who was right
Reply 4
No they didnt.

Nick Clegg famously described the notion of an EU army as a "dangerous fantasy".
George Osbourne told us a vote for brexit would cause a recession.

You also wont know what the impact of BREXIT will be until it happens

Reread my OP and what I was saying, rather than being a cocky know-it-all with no clue what he's on about.

and we have 1,2,3,5,10,15 years data to look at.

so we need to wait 6 more years to know the impacts of the 2008 credit crunch. Rigghhhttt...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by blue n white army
So firstly a lot of those forecasts were based on the assumption that article 50 would be invoked immediately. It will be really hard to tell whether Brexit is good or bad until after it actually happens.

Basically it's too early early to determine who was right

The FTSE 250 is a better indicator, or so said hundreds of Remainers when the FTSE started to rise, but even that is above pre-Brexit levels.
Scaremongering on both sides of the argument. Drawbacks and benefits to being in and out of the EU, it's just up to interpretation which outweighs the other
Can't really judge the economic situation until after we can accurately work out what the trading deal with the EU will be, but I must admit I'm surprised they've pressed ahead with an EU army this quickly. I imagined it happening 10, 15 years down the line, but not right now. Must be taking advantage of stubborn ole' Britain no longer being in the way.
Reply 8

What a stupid thing to say. It's representative of the 100 biggest LSE companies.

The EU is ruled by unaccountable unelected bureaucrats. That means European troops could be sent to die without democratic approval.

The so-called left always get things wrong. All the time. But they just forget about it later and pretend like they never cared about it.

Remember when they thought that mass immigration and multiculturalism was going to work perfectly? Hmm. Doesn't seem to have done. A long while back there were was a couple of MPs who stood up and said that there was a serious problem with Pakistani rape gangs in Rotherham. They were shouted down and accused of being racists. Turned out they were right in the end though.

Before the refugee crisis, some people said that allowing in millions of migrants would cause a lot of problems, and that there would be rapes on the streets. They were shouted down as being the most sick racists imaginable. Turned out they were right in the end though.

Before the Brexit vote, most of the so-called left were very smug in their sureness that Remain would win, and scoffed at those that thought that Brexit could win. Turned out the Brexiters were right though.

When some people began to wonder if Hillary was actually a sick, and were very skeptical that she only suffered from overheating, the so-called left accused them of being incredibly insane mentally deranged whack-job ultra-nationalists. Turns out they were right in the end though. And they'll probably be right again, this time about Hillary not only having pneumonia, but the left will just forget about it or try and shrug it off when the truth comes to light.

They're weasels. Don't expect anything good from them.
No they didnt.

If things go well or poorly it's on us, not our lack of membership with the EU. We own our future failures and successes, blaming Brexit for anything stinks of fatalism.

Fatalism isn't the right word to use there, it'll have to do I'm tired.
Would just like to agree with what people have said above - that we will not know the impact of Brexit until article 50 has been invoked, as well as to agree with Pinkberry_y that there was a lot to scaremongering on both sides, so it's worth taking everything that was said with a pinch of salt. I would also like to point out that the british public who voted brexit were only 52% of the voters on the day, and therefore there are a lot of people who clearly drew different conclusions. We all had our different reasons for the way we voted, and many of them on both sides were valid points.
Original post by Crijjkal
(((they))) said there would be instant recession

Recessions arent instant. They take a min of 6 months to happen. Whether there is one now or not is irrelevant as the crunch points are what happens over the 1.3.5.10, 15 years. Still not enough reliable data. We havent even left yet and we dont know the terms. That loos like to be c 3years away.
Nick Clegg famously described the notion of an EU army as a "dangerous fantasy".
George Osbourne told us a vote for brexit would cause a recession.

Reread my OP and what I was saying, rather than being a cocky know-it-all with no clue what he's on about.

so we need to wait 6 more years to know the impacts of the 2008 credit crunch. Rigghhhttt...

Why would you be bothered about a European Army when we wont be in the EU?

If we had stayed there would have been no way the UK would have handed over command and control decisions to Brussels. I doubt the new arrangement will be that way either. It will require national consent. There is nothing wrong with armed forces from different nations being integrated and knowing giw to fight together. You will just have to wait and see.

Im saying if you want to make a decent meaningful economic analysis then you will need data and we dont have that yet. That goes for both the Brexit and Remainers. If you want to jump to conclusions based on no data then go ahead.

The more data you have the more in context you cna see things. With regards to Brexut we simply dont know becayse the terms of exit have not been decided, the brexit has not happened and we have zero feedback until it actually does in c 3 years time.
Original post by HanSoloLuck
If things go well or poorly it's on us, not our lack of membership with the EU. We own our future failures and successes, blaming Brexit for anything stinks of fatalism.

Fatalism isn't the right word to use there, it'll have to do I'm tired.

No interested in blame really, just analysis. If the OP is going to make claims about what happened then any intelligent person would wnat to see how that decision was reached. Having relevant data gives you more chance of reaching an informed opinion.
Reply 15
Why would you be bothered about a European Army when we wont be in the EU?

Because I care about people I don't know caught up in foreign wars. Plus the world is globalised.

It will require national consent. There is nothing wrong with armed forces from different nations being integrated and knowing giw to fight together. You will just have to wait and see.
I support NATO and international cooperation. Not dictatorship superstates filled with bureaucracy that don't work.

Im saying if you want to make a decent meaningful economic analysis then you will need data and we dont have that yet.
Yes we do, eg fall in unemployment.

The more data you have the more in context you cna see things. With regards to Brexut we simply dont know becayse the terms of exit have not been decided, the brexit has not happened and we have zero feedback until it actually does in c 3 years time.
Yep, I'll look forward to proving myself right then too

Reply 16
The economy hasn't been impacted because the UK is not going to leave before at least three years. So till then, it's business as usual.

1) So what if they made an army? what's the army gonna do? kill us all?

2) Guess what, the value of the pound took a hit and it still hasn't recovered. Last I checked the pound is worth $1.31 which is actually less than it sunk the day after brexit

3) The FTSE 100 definitely hasn't "soared" it was about 6500 before brexit, then dropped down to 6000 the day after and now it's gone back to normal.
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
1) So what if they made an army? what's the army gonna do? kill us all?

2) Guess what, the value of the pound took a hit and it still hasn't recovered. Last I checked the pound is worth $1.31 which is actually less than it sunk the day after brexit

3) The FTSE 100 definitely hasn't "soared" it was about 6500 before brexit, then dropped down to 6000 the day after and now it's gone back to normal.

get outta here with your BS

The EU is a disease that we are soon to be free from.
The EU is ruled by unaccountable unelected bureaucrats. That means European troops could be sent to die without democratic approval.

Still more elected than the UK government, one out of our two houses is completely unelected, as is our head of state who still technically holds very real powers she simply chooses not to use. All three of the EU's houses are in some way, shape or form chosen by the EU's citizens.

By your logic the UK shouldn't have an armed forces either :facepalm2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending