The Student Room Group

Geophysics at durham?

I'm interested in geophysics at durham but I only do one science subject. (I do Maths, Geography and Business)

It says on the website all courses require 2 science subjects so will my application be rejected without even being considered?

Thanks in advance
Original post by ScienceGeek1878
I'm interested in geophysics at durham but I only do one science subject. (I do Maths, Geography and Business)

It says on the website all courses require 2 science subjects so will my application be rejected without even being considered?

Thanks in advance

Do you know where Durham defines what they mean by a science subject? Quite a lot of universities actually class Geography as a science subject so I think there's a reasonable chance that your A Levels are valid, however you may want to email them to check if you can't find a list of subjects they count as sciences.

Edit: For their Natural Sciences course, they do not seem to count Geography as a science. If this is the case, it's very possible that your application would be rejected, however I would still recommend emailing to check.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
Do you know where Durham defines what they mean by a science subject? Quite a lot of universities actually class Geography as a science subject so I think there's a reasonable chance that your A Levels are valid, however you may want to email them to check if you can't find a list of subjects they count as sciences.

Edit: For their Natural Sciences course, they do not seem to count Geography as a science. If this is the case, it's very possible that your application would be rejected, however I would still recommend emailing to check.

In this case, would you recommend swapping Business for Physics as I am early on in the course?
In this case, would you recommend swapping Business for Physics as I am early on in the course?

Yes, I definitely would.
I'm interested in geophysics at Durham but I only do one science subject. (I do Maths, Geography and Business)

Thanks in advance
Hello. Where are you doing Maths now:tongue:? By the way, I've applied to Durham, so I might see you there:wink:.

Also, the clue is in the title: geophysics = geo (geology, geography etc.) + physics.

Do you miss Mr Roberts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending