The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know how to put the AQA Level 2 Certificate in Further Mathematics on to UCAS?
I got an A^ (That's how it's shown on my results sheet) in it, but the UCAS tool doesn't even allow you to put the '^' symbol in the box. Should I put it under 'other' and write it as an 'A* with Distinction'?

The qualification description is here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/aqa-certificate/further-mathematics-8360/why-choose
Reply 381
In year 9 I was forced to sit one of two Religious Studies GCSE modules and I achieved a B. I was then told that I would resit that module as well as sit the next module in year 11. For some reason the school got me a certificate in the Religious Studies Short Course, but then I did the full course in year 11 and have the full course certificate for Religious Studies too. I was wondering whether or not I have to put both grades down, or just the full course grade? Sorry if it seems as if I'm ignoring the "all grades" thing, but I'm unsure whether you'd have to declare both a short course and full course grade for a single subject.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by esfio
In year 9 I was forced to sit one of two Religious Studies GCSE modules and I achieved a B. I was then told that I would resit that module as well as sit the next module in year 11. For some reason the school got me a certificate in the Religious Studies Short Course, but then I did the full course in year 11 and have the full course certificate for Religious Studies too. I was wondering whether or not I have to put both grades down, or just the full course grade? Sorry if it seems as if I'm ignoring the "all grades" thing, but I'm unsure whether you'd have to declare both a short course and full course grade for a single subject.

Yes both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 383

Right, thanks!
Do you have to declare individual A-level units you sat as a private candidate that weren't used in an overall award by the exam board?
You are obliged to enter cashed in qualifications. You only need to supply individual unit UMS information if you are specifically asked for it.
As I understand it, If you cashed in the same qualification a second time but the resits were not an improvement so you were awarded the same grade, then you would enter both dates for the overall qualification. If they were units taken at the same time as A2 that were not used to calculate the final A level grade then this would only be necessary if you also re-cashed the AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
You are obliged to enter cashed in qualifications. You only need to supply individual unit UMS information if you are specifically asked for it.
As I understand it, If you cashed in the same qualification a second time but the resits were not an improvement so you were awarded the same grade, then you would enter both dates for the overall qualification. If they were units taken at the same time as A2 that were not used to calculate the final A level grade then this would only be necessary if you also re-cashed the AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What does cashed in mean? I haven't been able to improve on my previous unit results yet except for one of my practical modules which I guess I'll declare. I did these unit resits outside of the normal two years if that helps?
Cashing-in only refers to overall qualification, not units.
You are cashed-in if you receive an overall grade for a qualification. If you re-sit and get a second overall grade then you have been cashed-in again then you have to declare both cashed-in grades.
Original post by Compost
Cashing-in only refers to overall qualification, not units.
You are cashed-in if you receive an overall grade for a qualification. If you re-sit and get a second overall grade then you have been cashed-in again then you have to declare both cashed-in grades.

If the resit wasn't used in an overall award is it still counted as cashed-in?
It depends. Every exam season when you get a results sheet with an overall award on it means you have been cashed-in. Generally the request for cash-in is made when the entries are made so whether you do better or worse in your re-sit attempt is irrelevant, the award will still have been cashed-in.
Original post by Compost
It depends. Every exam season when you get a results sheet with an overall award on it means you have been cashed-in. Generally the request for cash-in is made when the entries are made so whether you do better or worse in your re-sit attempt is irrelevant, the award will still have been cashed-in.

How do I find out? My overall grade hasn't changed obviously because they only use unit results which have improved.
When you got results for this Summer (or whenever you re-sat), did you have an overall grade on them? If so, you were cashed-in. Or just ask your centre.
Original post by Compost
When you got results for this Summer (or whenever you re-sat), did you have an overall grade on them? If so, you were cashed-in. Or just ask your centre.

It listed my old unit grades at the top and the overall grades and then below it just had a list of all the individual module resits that weren't used so I guess they had? I've emailed them to clarify now anyway
Hi,
I took resits during year 13 alongside my A2 subjects. My head of year is saying I only need to enter in the new grades from my resits and not the old grades from year 12, I'm confused as to whether this is correct or not?
For my ALEVEL Maths qualification

AS I did C1 C2 S1
A2 C3 C4 S2

I also did M1 but i scored poorly on it, should I declare it ??
So with the new linear exams, even if I am continuing the subject to full A Level, do I still need to declare the AS grade in those subjects?
Original post by asinghj
So with the new linear exams, even if I am continuing the subject to full A Level, do I still need to declare the AS grade in those subjects?

Yes. It's up to the universities to decide if the information is important or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Yes. It's up to the universities to decide if the information is important or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you
Hi,

I have just given Maths and Further Maths AS level exams. I do not plan to certificate these, but continue them onto A-level. Therefore, how do I enter them onto UCAS? Do I enter them under A-level, with overall grade pending and then add the three module grades for each of them?
@jneill
Original post by mathcon
Hi,

I have just given Maths and Further Maths AS level exams. I do not plan to certificate these, but continue them onto A-level. Therefore, how do I enter them onto UCAS? Do I enter them under A-level, with overall grade pending and then add the three module grades for each of them?
@jneill

Despite my "job title" I'm not an expert on actually completing the UCAS form.

Perhaps @Carnationlilyrose or @claireestelle can help :smile:

Latest