The Student Room Group

Why is eating animals okay, but not humans?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by swirly
The vegetarian community is putting forth an argument (which is correct, but let's ignore that for the moment).

Meat eaters have no correct defence to this argument and have the cheap cop out of I don't care.

You're saying because one party doesn't care, their is no right answer by default. That is like going to Court, the Prosecution putting its side across, the Defence saying it doesn't care, and the judge having the case thrown out, because there is no right answer because one party doesn't care.

There was never an argument to begin with and now I will end it.

There is no right answer by default because the vegetarian community puts forth an argument that is based on opinion and in this argument you have failed to produce any evidence that makes your argument somewhat credible. Your evidence in this case involves comparing the killing of animals to the bombing of Nagasaki and slavery are taken completely out of context. Those situations in which people were killed in different circumstances to that of killing animals for food. I never made any assumptions at all, that was you presenting a straw man to this argument, of which I could not let slide.

"No correct defense" is still subjective and not valid evidence. Nevertheless, that does not automatically present a win to the vegetarian community, nor does it make your argument more credible than the meat eaters argument. Your idea of counter argument is to use false comparisons and is not valid evidence, which in itself is a "cheap cop out" by my standard.

Good day sir.
Reply 41
Original post by UWS
There was never an argument to begin with and now I will end it.

There is no right answer by default because the vegetarian community puts forth an argument that is based on opinion and in this argument you have failed to produce any evidence that makes your argument somewhat credible. Your evidence in this case involves comparing the killing of animals to the bombing of Nagasaki and slavery are taken completely out of context. Those situations in which people were killed in different circumstances to that of killing animals for food. I never made any assumptions at all, that was you presenting a straw man to this argument, of which I could not let slide.

"No correct defense" is still subjective and not valid evidence. Nevertheless, that does not automatically present a win to the vegetarian community, nor does it make your argument more credible than the meat eaters argument. Your idea of counter argument is to use false comparisons and is not valid evidence, which in itself is a "cheap cop out" by my standard.

Good day sir.

In the Bible it says Thou Shalt Not Kill
Original post by swirly
Why do we draw the distinction between the meat from a dead, decaying animal, and a dead, decaying human?

Seems like someone has discovered Hannibal :tongue:
Are you going to become the next Hannibal? :holmes:

You should visit Nigeria they eat human meat :colone:
Reply 44
Original post by moonlightblues
We are carnivores, not cannibals.

Not carnivores actually, we don't survive solely off meat we'd get really sick. Most people are omnivores, and if you're vegetarian/vegan you're a herbivore :biggrin:
Do vegetarians object to say a lion ripping a zebra to pieces? Eating it alive? Because that is the reality of nature. Unless you're gullible enough to believe every word of PETA et al (who have been proven to lie and manipulate multiple times for gain) farms on the whole are not bad places and those that run them genuinely do care for the animals. There are many qualified veterinary surgeons out there working solely in large/farm animal practices. Do you really think they would go through the hassle of applying to vet school, studying for 5 years and graduating just to support animal cruelty? Especially when working in equine, small animal and in some cases research is far more profitable?
I'm sure there are many problems you would face by eating human eg disease. Also I'm sure even in the animal kningdom, few animals eat their own kind (some do however).
Original post by swirly
Why do we draw the distinction between the meat from a dead, decaying animal, and a dead, decaying human?

You really should not be eating decaying animals. You'll get sick
You also, should not be eating humans. Again, you'll get sick
Reply 48
Original post by Another
You really should not be eating decaying animals. You'll get sick
You also, should not be eating humans. Again, you'll get sick

Aren't we all decaying sacks of living matter :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hateme

Posted from TSR Mobile

"decaying" and "living" is a bit of an oxymoron there!
Original post by hateme

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Decaying" and "Living" is an oxymoron :P
Reply 51
Go to sleep you ****ing idiot.
Reply 52
Original post by Another
"decaying" and "living" is a bit of an oxymoron there!

But we kinda are decaying were shedding old cells constantly, cells are dying and so on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hateme
But we kinda are decaying were shedding old cells constantly, cells are dying and so on

Posted from TSR Mobile

Decay is when parasites/bacteria eat away at tissue because it's been dead for so long

It's not shedding of skin or recycling of old cells
Reply 54
Original post by Another
Decay is when parasites/bacteria eat away at tissue because it's been dead for so long

It's not shedding of skin or recycling of old cells

Okayyyyy i did only get a C at a level biology :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hateme
Okayyyyy i did only get a C at a level biology :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry, the pedantic in me hatches whenever biology is brought up :frown:
Reply 56
Original post by Another
I'm sorry, the pedantic in me hatches whenever biology is brought up :frown:

Very interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some people do eat humans, they are called cannibals :tongue:

If you're talking from a moral perspective, there is no real reason not to eat humans, it's the same amino acids that make up our muscle and insides. The problem arises because you have to kill something to eat it and killing humans is usually considered to be immoral.
to be honest there are very few places with laws on cannibalism, OP as long as you don't kill who you eat then it's fine (most cannibals are convicted on murder charges rather than cannibalism see below cases)

Spoiler

Original post by VMD100
Do vegetarians object to say a lion ripping a zebra to pieces?

That is not the same as humans eating animals though. Lions are obligate carnivores, humans can manage without meat.

Quick Reply

Latest