The Student Room Group

I'm an Apple Genius in London whilst studying at uni... AMA!

I juggle my studies with working at an Apple Store as a Genius, feel free to ask me anything about:

Working at Apple

The application/interview process

Tech questions

Experiences etc...

I'll try and answer all questions, only not doing so when it's about stuff I'm not allowed to talk about :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SP0TIFY
I juggle my studies with working at a flagship Apple Store as a Genius, feel free to ask me anything about:

Working at Apple

The application/interview process

Tech questions

Experiences etc...

I'll try and answer all questions, only not doing so when it's about stuff I'm not allowed to talk about :wink:

where the new macbook pro @
Reply 2
Original post by KyleH123
where the new macbook pro @

Honestly, most Apple Store staff aren't kept in the know about most release dates, this being one of them. I use a mid 2014 MBP so this information wouldn't go amiss to me either :wink:
Thoughts on the new iPhone's headphone jack or lack thereof? Also do you get a staff discount?
u want uggs and ipad bby?
Original post by SP0TIFY
Honestly, most Apple Store staff aren't kept in the know about most release dates, this being one of them. I use a mid 2014 MBP so this information wouldn't go amiss to me either :wink:

why did you get the mbp and not air?
It's true about half the job being removing semen from laptop keyboards, isn't it?

More seriously, how much training do you actually get and are you allowed to recommend that the punters get something other than Apple?
Original post by unprinted
It's true about half the job being removing semen from laptop keyboards, isn't it?

More seriously, how much training do you actually get and are you allowed to recommend that the punters get something other than Apple?

I actually had an apple staff member tell me that apples laptops aren't the best in certain ways if that answers your question

Can I claim my free Beats headphones after a year?
Reply 10
Isn't Apple Genius the thing on the iTunes that finds similar songs to the songs you own?
Original post by SP0TIFY

Twinsies! :five:

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 00.08.22.png

What do you think about macOS Sierra? :holmes:
Reply 12
Original post by DarkEnergy
Thoughts on the new iPhone's headphone jack or lack thereof? Also do you get a staff discount?

Personally, I think that's it's a matter of getting rid of the headphone jack now and having a few complaints, only for these to fizzle out over time. The same happened when Apple introduced the Lightning connector in place of the 30 pin one.

Look at it this way, the headphone jack only has a few capabilities:

Act as a way for the iPhone to play stereo sound or receive mono sound

Act as a very primitive remote with certain headphones (press once to pause, twice to skip, vol up/down etc...)

These capabilities can be done, and to a better quality, with headphones that are both wireless and lightning compatible. It's a piece of tech that is beginning to use up much needed space, and one that is only becoming more and more obsolete and replaceable as time goes on.

This also helps towards waterproofing, which is a plus. Oh, and now a bigger speaker and taptic engine can be installed in the device :smile:
RE: Staff discounts - yes, we get a variety of different discounts, depending on the device, time working for the company etc... For example, you get 27% off one iPhone, one iPad etc... but like 17% off up to ten iPods etc, because this is "Family & Friends" discount
I'm starting uni and wanted to know what extra circulars i could do to boost my CV so i can get a good tech job after graduating.
Also is there much emphasis on the uni you go to and A level grades?
cheers
Reply 14
why did you get the mbp and not air?

Both the MBP and the Air have fairly similar price ranges... but for me, I'd much rather spend (a little less money actually) on a more powerful laptop with a bit more storage than on one that is less powerful, a bit more trendy/chic and more suited towards the casual user - though the thickness of the air and it's angular base are fairly cool. Though tbh, I think the Air and the Macbook are both headed in a similar direction, and wouldn't be surprised to see them combined into one range at some point.
Reply 15
I actually had an apple staff member tell me that apples laptops aren't the best in certain ways if that answers your question

In certain situations, sure, this is probably true. It depends on your own personal circumstances. If you want to develop software solely for WinOS and actually prefer the WinOS to work with, it wouldn't surprise me if a staff member recommended you to go for another laptop. :smile:

I've not heard of this in my store... though spilled alcohol when someone falls asleep watching movies isn't uncommon... and vomit under the keys has been heard of a handful of times.

I've personally recommended that people go home and have a think about whether an Apple device is actually the one for them. We don't work on commission, so there's no pressure to push a sale as such. Think of it this way: a customer will go away giving rave reviews about how the Apple Store don't push for sales when asking if they should go for a Windows PC or an iMac, giving us a little PR boost (word of mouth is a really good way to spread good news, as most people listen to their friends and family's anecdotes).

On the flipside, someone who is sold an iMac when they would've been better suited to a windows PC is likely to a) get rid of it after a short while and b) slam Apple every single time someone brings them up in conversation. Not cool.
Original post by SP0TIFY
Personally, I think that's it's a matter of getting rid of the headphone jack now and having a few complaints, only for these to fizzle out over time. The same happened when Apple introduced the Lightning connector in place of the 30 pin one.

Look at it this way, the headphone jack only has a few capabilities:

Act as a way for the iPhone to play stereo sound or receive mono sound

Act as a very primitive remote with certain headphones (press once to pause, twice to skip, vol up/down etc...)

These capabilities can be done, and to a better quality, with headphones that are both wireless and lightning compatible. It's a piece of tech that is beginning to use up much needed space, and one that is only becoming more and more obsolete and replaceable as time goes on.

This also helps towards waterproofing, which is a plus. Oh, and now a bigger speaker and taptic engine can be installed in the device :smile:
RE: Staff discounts - yes, we get a variety of different discounts, depending on the device, time working for the company etc... For example, you get 27% off one iPhone, one iPad etc... but like 17% off up to ten iPods etc, because this is "Family & Friends" discount

Can't say I quite agree with you about the headphone jack. Not sure why phones need to keep getting thinner and stuff, and I don't see how the 3.5mm jack is becoming obsolete considering literally every other phone made in the last 5 (or so) years uses it, as well as pretty much every laptop, desktop PC, tablet, etc.. Even my Roku TV remote has a headphone jack. And if you want to use your own actual headphones (Sennheisers or something) not Apple's weird airpod thingies whilst charging, you're SOOL unless you pay another £30 or so for some strange adapter. Big stepback imo. Not sure why Apple are shifting towards only having one port... stylish minimalism != anti-consumerism. Functionality should always come first. Doesn't really matter though, it'll probably be the best-selling iPhone model of all time in a few weeks or so.

The discount seems nice though. Thanks for the reply.
Reply 17
Original post by GUMI
Isn't Apple Genius the thing on the iTunes that finds similar songs to the songs you own?

Coulda worded it better, but for some reason I can't find where to edit the thread title lol! To clarify, I work at the Genius Bar in an Apple Store :wink:
What course are you studying at uni?
Reply 19
Original post by DarkEnergy
Can't say I quite agree with you about the headphone jack. Not sure why phones need to keep getting thinner and stuff, and I don't see how the 3.5mm jack is becoming obsolete considering literally every other phone made in the last 5 (or so) years uses it, as well as pretty much every laptop, desktop PC, tablet, etc.. Even my Roku TV remote has a headphone jack. And if you want to use your own actual headphones (Sennheisers or something) not Apple's weird airpod thingies whilst charging, you're SOOL unless you pay another £30 or so for some strange adapter. Big stepback imo. Not sure why Apple are shifting towards only having one port... stylish minimalism != anti-consumerism. Functionality should always come first. Doesn't really matter though, it'll probably be the best-selling iPhone model of all time in a few weeks or so.

The discount seems nice though. Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, the adapter actually comes with the new iPhone. But yeah, I think your points are also pretty good. I'm trying to find an article/Quora answer for you that actually swayed me from thinking it was a bad idea/way to generate lots more revenue* to being of the opinion that it's a step in the right direction, even if it is against popular opinion. If I can find it I'll quote you again linking it :smile:

*obviously it helps Apple generate a bit more money with regards to licensing new headphones using the lightning connector etc... but this will have a small impact on total revenues

Quick Reply

Latest