The Student Room Group

Self teaching A-level Maths

Hi,

So A-levels started (amazing)... But unfortunately, I really didn't really take my GCSEs seriously at all, which is why I didn't come out with the grades I wanted, ultimately meaning that I didn't get the subjects I wanted. I only achieved a grade B in Maths, due to the fact that throughout the entire year leading up to the exams I didn't revise for Maths at all (extremely stupid and pathetic move on my part). My school requires an A/A* to do Maths and Further Maths respectively. I really want to take Maths for A-levels, but my school won't allow me to because of my grade. I'm just annoyed tbh because I know that if I grew up and put the work in I could of easily gotten an A or A*. So right now, I'm thinking to self teach myself A-level Maths. I have a lot of resources at my disposal, so I'm sure that I can achieve at least a grade B in the subject if I put work into it. I've decided that the board I'd go with is Edexcel, and the two extra modules I'll take is D1 and D2. I study Computer Science at A-level also, so decision maths is piss easy to me. What I want to ask is that has anybody here self-taught themselves A-level maths? Do you have any tips for me? Is it even worth doing the A-level? I do hope to do Computer Science at A-level, which is why I want to do maths.

Let me know if this is a viable plan or not.
Have you tried negotiating with the school. Tell them that you're gonna self teach maths. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
I tried, got an A at GCSE with zero revision and minimal effort on my part but I hated the subject and just couldn't motivate myself to study it at A level; admittedly I was very ill at the time, plus working full time when I was well enough and all my A levels suffered horrendously but realistically I doubt I'd have ever done well in math. My brother did the same as me and he managed to get either a B or a C; he self taught both math and physics (I forget which grade corresponds to which course) and has gone on to study mech eng at uni which he's doing great at so far so it was worth it for him.
Reply 3
Original post by BobBobson
Have you tried negotiating with the school. Tell them that you're gonna self teach maths. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol trust me my school doesn't negotiate. Since they consider themselves so
prestigious, they make sure to never show any leniency towards lower entry requirements. There are people who quite literally were one mark away from an A in a subject, but they got told that they couldn't do it. My school doesn't sugar coat anything. Either get the required grades to do the subjects, or leave. Nothing inbetween.

Original post by RachaelBee
I tried, got an A at GCSE with zero revision and minimal effort on my part but I hated the subject and just couldn't motivate myself to study it at A level; admittedly I was very ill at the time, plus working full time when I was well enough and all my A levels suffered horrendously but realistically I doubt I'd have ever done well in math. My brother did the same as me and he managed to get either a B or a C; he self taught both math and physics (I forget which grade corresponds to which course) and has gone on to study mech eng at uni which he's doing great at so far so it was worth it for him.

Very impressive. I'm not aiming for an A or A* in A-level maths, just a B. I think it could be possible. It would be a shame to limit my options in terms of a degree because of not taking A-level maths.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Aklaol
Very impressive. I'm not aiming for an A or A* in A-level maths, just a B. I think it could be possible. It would be a shame to limit my options in terms of a degree because of not taking A-level maths.

If you want to do it I say just go for it; it's very little expenditure if you just buy books rather than do a distance course and tbh I don't think you need a tutor. Text books usually have decent breakdowns of how to do stuff and an answer section at the back so you can check you're doing it right. I self taught other subjects and did well enough to scrape my way into uni in spite of health issues, so it's definitely doable, I just think it's easier if you enjoy it. Good luck! :smile:
I am currently doing it.

I am self teaching Economics, Maths and Further maths. I got a B in economics AS and an A in my stats 1 module. I failed the rest. This year i am doing my A2 and the resits.

Its hard but some tips ive changed after failing AS. The edexcel books are so so. Cgp ones are much better (they do the both for aqa and edexcel so be careful which you buy).

There are step by step solutions to the edexcel text book answers online but not in the book (where as cgp have them in the book).

List all the chapters and write dates when you study eachpart to avoid missing anything. Itll help you stop the problem of trying to avoid the bits you struggle with.

I spend a whole day (sometimes 2) on one chapter. Read multiple explanations of anything you dont get (krista king and mathbff) youtube channels are really good. And dont move on from one step until you get it. Dont assume that youll magically figure it out during the later examples, it didnt for me.

Quick Reply

Latest