The Student Room Group

is it too much?

i am starting first year EE engineering this yeär and i have quite a few extracurricular acrivities and was wondering if you guys fink its too much?

im gonna be a president of a sociwty
got two paet time jobs and a paet time back in my home city
one job is like openvdays and stuff as a student rep ans the other is at a bar
i plan on joining the gym to get fit and pole dance
volunteer work at the uni
plan on joining the uni air squadron if theylläccept me
and was thinking of finding work exp somewhere or work shadoẃijgn for my career in eng

thanks all

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i want to learnn manderin as well
and joina sports team
(edited 7 years ago)
Yh... That's quite a lot on your plate...
Maybe prioritise things that are helpful/relevant for your future and the ones that aren't?
And maybe keep the paid things and drop volunteer/unpaid things?
the best part is when he/she says that they are looking for a work experience for a career in english
Reply 4
How do you know that you're going to get these jobs and society roles when you haven't started yet?
Reply 5
work experience on top of all this might be too much, choose either part time job where you can earn money or go with something that will benefit you in the future
You're definitely a troll but uni air squadron by itself is a lot let alone many more things on top of that
Original post by PimpNamedSlikbak
the best part is when he/she says that they are looking for a work experience for a career in english

lol.... eng=engineering
Reply 8
Original post by Sarah1778
Yh... That's quite a lot on your plate...
Maybe prioritise things that are helpful/relevant for your future and the ones that aren't?
And maybe keep the paid things and drop volunteer/unpaid things?

Unpaid would be the society.. I feel like that would be good on the cv as that shows team leader like experience? Maybe :/

Luckily the job workload shouldnt be too much as one is at a nightclub so it'll be once a fortnight (that's the plan) and the other is mainly open days or events the uni runs. But as I haven't started them yet I don't know.

Gym/getting stronger may be a priority as I am pretty weak right now?

I thnk you're right and doing volunteer work is not needed right now. I mean I need time with friends after all!
Reply 9
Original post by Helloworld_95
You're definitely a troll but uni air squadron by itself is a lot let alone many more things on top of that

thanks, what do you know about UAS? I'm not sure i can get in anyway as Im not the fittest... Are they strict about them? I miss flying
Reply 10
Original post by Wiggly
How do you know that you're going to get these jobs and society roles when you haven't started yet?

Because I am the president of the society that me and my friends made?
And I applied to the jobs, done interviews for them and got training in the week before freshers? :smile: Bonuses ofgetting contacts at uni before uni
Reply 11
Original post by Impressive
work experience on top of all this might be too much, choose either part time job where you can earn money or go with something that will benefit you in the future

I think you're right. My part time jo is once a fortnight an the other one is on open days. I will settle in first befoer making new comitments.
Reply 12
Trust me, mandarin is not easy. I'm Chinese and have been studying mandarin for five years but I still cannot maintain a basic conversation. It is probably one of the hardest languages to learn and write.

But if you try hard, I'm sure you can do it :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Baaah
Trust me, mandarin is not easy. I'm Chinese and have been studying mandarin for five years but I still cannot maintain a basic conversation. It is probably one of the hardest languages to learn and write.

But if you try hard, I'm sure you can do it :smile:

I'm chinese too! I can speak (conservational) cantonese but mando is the business language! and oh lord writing is near impossible I tried before but my mum got frustrated with me and gave up haha.. also HK rep so its trad which... yay me is harder
Reply 14
Original post by Anonyon
I'm chinese too! I can speak (conservational) cantonese but mando is the business language! and oh lord writing is near impossible I tried before but my mum got frustrated with me and gave up haha.. also HK rep so its trad which... yay me is harder

I can speak Cantonese too :smile:, but despite this, I struggle with mandarin. And yes, writing is basically impossible as you have to memorise all the pen strokes as well as the order to write it as well the pronunciation, and many mandarin words have the exact same pronunciation...

Anyway, I gave up on it, I'm only going to be using canto from now on. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Anonyon
Because I am the president of the society that me and my friends made?

To start an official uni society, it needs to be approved by your uni's Student Union. They won't permit you to start a society which just looks likely to be you and your friends. There 's more to it than that and you can't take it for granted that it will actually happen. The SU will spot and weed out chancers who are just trying to a) boost their CV without benefitting the uni, and b) win SU/uni funds so their mates can have a good time.
Reply 16
Original post by Klix88
To start an official uni society, it needs to be approved by your uni's Student Union. They won't permit you to start a society which just looks likely to be you and your friends. There 's more to it than that and you can't take it for granted that it will actually happen. The SU will spot and weed out chancers who are just trying to a) boost their CV without benefitting the uni, and b) win SU/uni funds so their mates can have a good time.

thanks for the advice but im not worried about this part at all cause we got a full commitee and a lot of interest as the society has been part of the uni for at least a few years now and we already have sponsors where members of the society can gdt discount from
Reply 17
Original post by Anonyon
thanks for the advice but im not worried about this part at all cause we got a full commitee and a lot of interest as the society has been part of the uni for at least a few years now and we already have sponsors where members of the society can gdt discount from

That's very detailed research, given that you haven't started at uni yet. Are you sure the second and third year members will go along with a bunch of first years?

Original post by Anonyon
i am starting first year EE engineering this yeär
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Klix88
That's very detailed research, given that you haven't started at uni yet. Are you sure the second and third year members will go along with a bunch of first years?

I'm actually the only first year.....
Reply 19
Original post by Anonyon
I'm actually the only first year.....

It's very enterprising to have made friends with the undergrad society members whilst still at school. Normally, uni society membership isn't open to those outside the uni.

Quick Reply

Latest