The Student Room Group

Suggested range of universities with these results?

Hi guys, I just wanted to find out what sort of a range of universities I should be applying to. If you could maybe post a suggested list of universities or that would be an appropriate selection that would be fantastic. I want to study Law. Here's my academic info:

GCSEs:

My GCSEs are the weakest part of my application. However, I did go to an under-performing school, and these results put me in the top 10 in my year.

1 A*
4 A's
4 B's
3 C's/Passes

AS:

I improved a lot for my AS and worked a lot harder. Here are the results I got yesterday:

BTEC Law - Distinction*

English Literature - A

Government & Politics - A

History - B

So that's an equivalent of A*AAB for AS (D* is considered above an A), or at least AAAB.

A-level predicted grades:

I will probably be predicted Distinction* A*AA, so the equivalent of A*A*AA.

Personal statement:

I've done a lot of extra-curriculars for Law which I think will help make my personal statement quite strong. I've done legal work experience, visited courts, competed in a law essay competition, read various books and scholarly articles, and attended university Law masterclasses.

Contextual flags:

Contextual flags will probably be raised for my under-performing sixth form and secondary school, as well as for socio-economic status. No one in my family has attended university. I also have Asperger's which UCAS may consider a disability.

This is my prototype list of universities and their entry requirements:

University College London - A*AA + LNAT
University of Warwick - AAA
University of Manchester - AAA
University of Bristol - AAB (Contextual Offer) + LNAT
University of Liverpool - ABB

What do you think of this list? The individual universities are subject to change, I'm more concerned about the range of entry requirements. I would have 1 at my predicted grades (A*AA) and 4 below (2 AAA, 1 AAB, 1 ABB). Is this an appropriate range? Am I aiming too high? Am I aiming too low?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

University of Birmingham? ^^
it depends on your predicted grades. if you predicted A*AA you should look at lse kcl and qmul.
Honestly, with those predicted grades, you should definitely be looking at the major Russell Group universities. They are known for their research but also include the top 20 universities in the UK. The grade boundaries barely change year to year so don't worry about that. Well done. Keep it up
Good place to look is https://www.whatuni.com/

Select your subject, and on the next page you can use a filter to search on your grades or expected grades.
Always double check on the relevant Uni website.

Good article here on How to Avoid 5 Rejections - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
(edited 7 years ago)
I've heard that a lot of the other A*AA universities like LSE and Durham are particularly picky about GSCEs, which is why I've avoided them because my GCSEs are 'relatively' weak.

What sort of range of entry requirements should I go for if I'm predicted A*AA?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Abstract_Prism

The usual advice is :
1 choice above your predicted grades
2 or 3 at your predicted grades
At least 1 well below your predicted grades
Original post by returnmigrant
The usual advice is :
1 choice above your predicted grades
2 or 3 at your predicted grades
At least 1 well below your predicted grades

That's news to me. There won't be an universities for Law with requirements higher than A*AA, so you're saying I should apply to 3 or 4 at that entry requirement? That seems a bit risky.
I've heard that a lot of the other A*AA universities like LSE and Durham are particularly picky about GSCEs, which is why I've avoided them because my GCSEs are 'relatively' weak.

make one of picky ones your risky choice
your grade range should be A*AA-AAA
Bumpity

Yes LSE and Durham have a strong focus on GCSEs so I wouldn't apply there.

My sister is doing law at Nottingham and got 6As and 3Bs at GCSEs and got AAA in her exams, so id definitely look at applying there too - she loves it! Nottingham law is very prestigious, for example I'm pretty sure last year 98% of people at Warwick got 2:1s or above whereas at Nottingham it was only 70%. So it's very well regarded in the industry!

Let me know if you have any more questions about the uni/course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

I wouldn't risk LSE, you are right they are picky with GCSE's. A classmate applied with A*(one year ahead)AAB at AS and had GCSE's almost like yours, with 1 or 2 more A's. His AS results were pretty high, he got a High international achievement for one of the subjects. He applied for the less competitive Law with History and still got rejected on the basis of his GCSE's.
UCL, from what I have heard can be picky but if you have good AS results which you do then they may give you an offer. I am going to start my course at UCL this September but it's Maths so I can't say how they treat Law applicants. My IGCSE's were worse than yours but I imagine it's my AAAAA at AS that helped...
Kings sounds alright, don't know much about it.
Is Scotland an option? It's much cheaper than the UK. Try Edinbrugh, Glasgow (a bit low but it's good for Law) maybe St Andrews but the latter prioritises international students.
Do your research, visit the Unis if you have the chance (I am going in the UK for the first time in 7 years; last time I came, I spent 10 days there with family for a holiday, coming to think of it it's the only time I've been there). So look around, visit and of course ask other Law applicants/students (recent ones of course).
Original post by 130398
I wouldn't risk LSE, you are right they are picky with GCSE's. A classmate applied with A*(one year ahead)AAB at AS and had GCSE's almost like yours, with 1 or 2 more A's. His AS results were pretty high, he got a High international achievement for one of the subjects. He applied for the less competitive Law with History and still got rejected on the basis of his GCSE's.
UCL, from what I have heard can be picky but if you have good AS results which you do then they may give you an offer. I am going to start my course at UCL this September but it's Maths so I can't say how they treat Law applicants. My IGCSE's were worse than yours but I imagine it's my AAAAA at AS that helped...
Kings sounds alright, don't know much about it.
Is Scotland an option? It's much cheaper than the UK. Try Edinbrugh, Glasgow (a bit low but it's good for Law) maybe St Andrews but the latter prioritises international students.
Do your research, visit the Unis if you have the chance (I am going in the UK for the first time in 7 years; last time I came, I spent 10 days there with family for a holiday, coming to think of it it's the only time I've been there). So look around, visit and of course ask other Law applicants/students (recent ones of course).

Scotland isn't an option because their law degrees are only qualifying in Scotland.

I don't think I'll be able to visit any universities, so I'll pretty much just be going on what I hear from TSR.
(edited 7 years ago)
Bumpity
I'm thinking about applying to Cambridge, UCL, Manchester, Bristol, and Liverpool, but would this be too risky with my grades? What are the chances I wouldn't get more than the offer from Liverpool? I really want to get that sweet sweet Bristol AAB offer, I would be so disappointed if I got rejected. I'm also a little afraid of being rejected from Manchester then possibly getting an offer from UCL/Cambridge so that my firm would be A*AA but my insurance would be ABB, a huge gap.

Would it be better to go with the universities in my OP?
Hi guys, I just wanted to find out what sort of a range of universities I should be applying to. If you could maybe post a suggested list of universities or that would be an appropriate selection that would be fantastic. I want to study Law. Here's my academic info:

GCSEs:

My GCSEs are the weakest part of my application. However, I did go to an under-performing school, and these results put me in the top 10 in my year.

1 A*
4 A's
4 B's
3 C's/Passes

AS:

I improved a lot for my AS and worked a lot harder. Here are the results I got yesterday:

BTEC Law - Distinction*

English Literature - A

Government & Politics - A

History - B

So that's an equivalent of A*AAB for AS (D* is considered above an A), or at least AAAB.

A-level predicted grades:

I will probably be predicted Distinction* A*AA, so the equivalent of A*A*AA.

Personal statement:

I've done a lot of extra-curriculars for Law which I think will help make my personal statement quite strong. I've done legal work experience, visited courts, competed in a law essay competition, read various books and scholarly articles, and attended university Law masterclasses.

Contextual flags:

Contextual flags will probably be raised for my under-performing sixth form and secondary school, as well as for socio-economic status. No one in my family has attended university. I also have Asperger's which UCAS may consider a disability.

This is my prototype list of universities and their entry requirements:

University College London - A*AA + LNAT
University of Warwick - AAA
University of Manchester - AAA
University of Bristol - AAB (Contextual Offer) + LNAT
University of Liverpool - ABB

What do you think of this list? The individual universities are subject to change, I'm more concerned about the range of entry requirements. I would have 1 at my predicted grades (A*AA) and 4 below (2 AAA, 1 AAB, 1 ABB). Is this an appropriate range? Am I aiming too high? Am I aiming too low?

You have to be very careful when equating BTEC grades into what you feel they would be equivalent to an Alevel grade. A distinction* is not equivalent to an A* as they are two different qualification types, universities hold them in different regard and often the very best universities will not accept BTEC qualifications as part of their formal offer so make sure you ask around.

I would go for 1/2 on/above your predicted (as your predicted is so high its wise to have a few more with lower requirements just in case), then 2/3 below (AAA-AAB) as well as 1 insurance choice that you have thought through and would insure (ABB or below).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mizzsnazzter
Yes LSE and Durham have a strong focus on GCSEs so I wouldn't apply there.

My sister is doing law at Nottingham and got 6As and 3Bs at GCSEs and got AAA in her exams, so id definitely look at applying there too - she loves it! Nottingham law is very prestigious, for example I'm pretty sure last year 98% of people at Warwick got 2:1s or above whereas at Nottingham it was only 70%. So it's very well regarded in the industry!

Let me know if you have any more questions about the uni/course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, if i apply to unis like durham and stuff who you say have a high gcse focus, could i apply with the grades i got at gcses? i got 5A* and 3As and the As were all 1-2 ums from A*
These were the Maximum number of gcses i was allowed to take. In that sense, i did alright didnt i?
Original post by Natalierm2707
You have to be very careful when equating BTEC grades into what you feel they would be equivalent to an Alevel grade. A distinction* is not equivalent to an A* as they are two different qualification types, universities hold them in different regard and often the very best universities will not accept BTEC qualifications as part of their formal offer so make sure you ask around.

I've checked with most of the universities and Bristol and Manchester accept the BTEC Dist* as equivalent to an A*, whilst UCL does not.
I'm thinking about applying to Cambridge, UCL, Manchester, Bristol, and Liverpool, but would this be too risky with my grades? What are the chances I wouldn't get more than the offer from Liverpool? I really want to get that sweet sweet Bristol AAB offer, I would be so disappointed if I got rejected. I'm also a little afraid of being rejected from Manchester then possibly getting an offer from UCL/Cambridge so that my firm would be A*AA but my insurance would be ABB, a huge gap.

Would it be better to go with the universities in my OP?

Why does a gap between the conditions of your firm and your insurance matter?
Reply 19

I really want to get that sweet sweet Bristol AAB offer, I would be so disappointed if I got rejected.

Bristol has a 70% offer rate for Law.
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-bristol-b78/law-3-years-9000-m100-426219

You exceed the requirements. You'll be fine...

Again, you are over thinking all this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending