The Student Room Group

Is it worth reapplying to Cambridge after missing my offer?

So I had an offer for engineering at Girton which involved me getting A*A*A, but I got A*AAAB for my five subjects. Will the fact that I already received an offer help or hinder me in this case? I was around 10 UMS off another A*.
Reply 1
Original post by somedude1824
So I had an offer for engineering at Girton which involved me getting A*A*A, but I got A*AAAB for my five subjects. Will the fact that I already received an offer help or hinder me in this case? I was around 10 UMS off another A*.

Sorry to hear you missed your offer but what are you doing to improve your results? Unless you meet (or ideally exceed) A*A*A there's absolutely no point re-applying. And if you are resitting more than 1 or 2 modules then Cambridge is unlikely to be impressed...

And what about taking up your Insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Sorry to hear you missed your offer but what are you doing to improve your results? Unless you meet (or ideally exceed) A*A*A there's absolutely no point re-applying.

And aren't you taking up your Insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I missed my insurance offer (Imperial) as well. I'm retaking some modules next year in the hope that on the off chance they offer me a place again I'll make the grades next time.
Reply 3
Well I missed my insurance offer (Imperial) as well. I'm retaking some modules next year in the hope that on the off chance they offer me a place again I'll make the grades next time.

In your situation I would expect you would need to exceed the typical offer, and even then, getting the Cambridge offer will be a rather long shot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4

Well done on your grades. There are lots of other great unis out there offering the same opportunities and course. Not convinced Cambridge has it as "Sussed" as they like to convince themselves anyway. At least you got an offer, well done on negotiating their "unique" applications system. Me? I was rejected by Peterhouse for the same course so you did better than me on that score. My A levels? 4 A * including further maths, their loss.

My advice, look outside of Cambridge. You might be pleasantly surprised. Good luck 👍
Original post by jneill
Sorry to hear you missed your offer but what are you doing to improve your results? Unless you meet (or ideally exceed) A*A*A there's absolutely no point re-applying. And if you are resitting more than 1 or 2 modules then Cambridge is unlikely to be impressed...

And what about taking up your Insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if an applicant only resits one module, would they still be at a disadvantage to someone who didn't need to resit at all?

( not resitting to meet the offer, but because one module was a lot lower than their other grades?)
Reply 6
Original post by OriginalLifelin
Even if an applicant only resits one module, would they still be at a disadvantage to someone who didn't need to resit at all?

( not resitting to meet the offer, but because one module was a lot lower than their other grades?)

They look at every application holistically. They don't much mind 1 or even 2 resits, and your application may be stronger in other areas than someone else.

The hypothetical "all things being equal except this one particular thing" doesn't happen in reality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
They look at every application holistically. They don't much mind 1 or even 2 resits, and your application may be stronger in other areas than someone else.

The hypothetical "all things being equal except this one particular thing" doesn't happen in reality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know they look at things module by module, and hopefully my other UMS scores, which are higher than the average Cambridge standard, should mean my application is still competetive.
Reply 8
I know they look at things module by module, and hopefully my other UMS scores, which are higher than the average Cambridge standard, should mean my application is still competetive.

Indeed :smile:

And note, there's little point resitting a module unless it's going to increase your overall grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Indeed :smile:

And note, there's little point resitting a module unless it's going to increase your overall grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So for an A* I need 90% in A2 modules, right? I got 100% and 73, so I need 10% more UMS for an A*. I'm going to aim for 100% though as that's what I got in my mock
Reply 10
So for an A* I need 90% in A2 modules, right? I got 100% and 73, so I need 10% more UMS for an A*. I'm going to aim for 100% though as that's what I got in my mock

Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
did you end up reapplying in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending