The Student Room Group

Don't want to go to college

I have a full time job paying anything between and 250 and 350 per week which is decent for my age, i'm not interested in any college courses or an apprenticeship, what are the consequences if i quit college and carry on with my job?
If you have no opportunity to progress (to more senior roles) while in that job, I would say stick with college
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
If you have no opportunity to progress (to more senior roles) while in that job, I would say stick with college

I could do my sea survival tickets and go to sea on the boat i work for if that helps? i just wasn't sure if my parents would get fined for anything
Original post by MollieT3
I could do my sea survival tickets and go to sea on the boat i work for if that helps? i just wasn't sure if my parents would get fined for anything

After GCSE your parents bear No responsibility for your academic achievements, however they will be informed of your decision to drop out of college as they are your next of kin.
Btw you work on a boat? Hmm I would definitely say that being able to swim and rescue others helps with your job :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by shawn_o1
After GCSE your parents bear No responsibility for your academic achievements, however they will be informed of your decision to drop out of college as they are your next of kin.
Btw you work on a boat? Hmm I would definitely say that being able to swim and rescue others helps with your job :smile:

Yeah i work on a crabbing vessel haha it's quite fun actually, i'd much rather carry on with work that waste 2 years in college working for a qualification i wouldn't want or use
Yeah i work on a crabbing vessel haha it's quite fun actually, i'd much rather carry on with work that waste 2 years in college working for a qualification i wouldn't want or use

Ok good, I'd say follow your heart. By the time you wish to move on you should be ready to give a good account of your time on that boat :smile:

Think of your 40 year old self with a family, do you really think its wise?
Reply 7
This might seem like a good job now and good way to get money, but is this someone you can see yourself doing in 5,10,20 years time ?

If yes then quit college but if you think you'd perhaps wanna do something else than you should really get yourself some qualifications,and I'm sure you could get another job back on the boats in the future

Good luck with everything 😎
Op if you enjoy what you are doing I say carry on with work. If you change your mind you can always do A levels/ an access course/other qualification to get yourself to where you want to be at a later date. Of course it is better to get qualifications out the way when younger as knowledge from GCSEs is fresh in your mind but there's an advantage to taking qualifications when older too.. you will be more motivated and less likely to take education for granted as lots of teenagers do these days wasting their education on drinking etc.
Reply 9
Original post by ckfeister
Think of your 40 year old self with a family, do you really think its wise?

Yes i do actually, once i do my sea survival and go to sea i'll be on upwards of 2000 per week depending on how much crab and lobster we catch
Reply 10
Original post by indigofox
Op if you enjoy what you are doing I say carry on with work. If you change your mind you can always do A levels/ an access course/other qualification to get yourself to where you want to be at a later date. Of course it is better to get qualifications out the way when younger as knowledge from GCSEs is fresh in your mind but there's an advantage to taking qualifications when older too.. you will be more motivated and less likely to take education for granted as lots of teenagers do these days wasting their education on drinking etc.

Think i'm going to quit college because as you said there's always time to do A levels later on, i just wasn't too sure on what the consequences are because we have to stay in education until we're 18, thank you:smile:
Reply 11
Original post by fefssdf
This might seem like a good job now and good way to get money, but is this someone you can see yourself doing in 5,10,20 years time ?

If yes then quit college but if you think you'd perhaps wanna do something else than you should really get yourself some qualifications,and I'm sure you could get another job back on the boats in the future

Good luck with everything 😎

Couldn't see myself doing anything else, thank you:smile:
Couldn't see myself doing anything else, thank you:smile:

maybe take it then if you're happy
Yes i do actually, once i do my sea survival and go to sea i'll be on upwards of 2000 per week depending on how much crab and lobster we catch

Senior fishermen salary is below average by about £1,000
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/fishingvesseldeckhand.aspx
*https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school

You can work as long as you also undergo part time training or education. Ask your employer if they can give you some type of formal trading towards a sea type career. I,m still not sure though, if that is acceptable. I,m also unsure as to what sort of problems it may cause your parents. They should have received a letter From the local council containing the full facts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending