The Student Room Group

Help with Grades - Veterinary Medicine

Hi, I am just looking for some help with regard to grades and getting into Veterinary Medicine. I have just completed my AS levels in biology, chemistry, maths and psychology and am continuing them all onto A2 except for psychology. All of my teachers have said I will be predicted A's which i know is the requirements. However, the specification for maths hasn't changed and I achieved a B this year, with Bs in all of the exams (72/100, 71/100 and 76/100) with the grade boundaries for all being 80% for an A and 70% for a B. What I am worried about is I am going to have to achieve an A* in my A2 exams for my grade to average to a A which is unlikely.
However, I have been told that other applicants have been offered AAB (biology, Chem, 3rd subject). How likely is this to happen? Or have I been told wrong and I will definitely get an offer of AAA if I am lucky enough to get one? Especially with me only achieving B in maths at GCSE as I know an A at A-level can compensate for this :-( btw the universities I am applying for are Liverpool, Nottingham, RVC and Bristol.
Thankyou for any help!
Original post by Vetmedapplicant1
Hi, I am just looking for some help with regard to grades and getting into Veterinary Medicine. I have just completed my AS levels in biology, chemistry, maths and psychology and am continuing them all onto A2 except for psychology. All of my teachers have said I will be predicted A's which i know is the requirements. However, the specification for maths hasn't changed and I achieved a B this year, with Bs in all of the exams (72/100, 71/100 and 76/100) with the grade boundaries for all being 80% for an A and 70% for a B. What I am worried about is I am going to have to achieve an A* in my A2 exams for my grade to average to a A which is unlikely.
However, I have been told that other applicants have been offered AAB (biology, Chem, 3rd subject). How likely is this to happen? Or have I been told wrong and I will definitely get an offer of AAA if I am lucky enough to get one? Especially with me only achieving B in maths at GCSE as I know an A at A-level can compensate for this :-( btw the universities I am applying for are Liverpool, Nottingham, RVC and Bristol.
Thankyou for any help!

Offers for vet medicine are AAA at Liverpool AAA/AAB at RVC and AAB at Bristol and Nottingham.

If you get through the interview stage at those universities your offer for a place would be for those grades, therefore for Liverpool you would need to achieve AAA for your place, you would be fine with the other universities.

Students do get into Liverpool with AAB but I wouldn't count on it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thankyou for any help!

Could you not resit any units for AS, and get your grades up? That takes the pressure off your A2 but keeps your ums high.
Sometimes all you need is to resit one module.

Although some students do get AAB offers, one of the friends who got into all the vet schools she applied to, had AAA across them all, apart from Cambridge who wanted A*A*A. She also applied to Bristol, Liverpool and Nottingham.

The only person I know so far who got an AAB offer was for Surrey, her others all wanted AAA.
Original post by Cowie315
Could you not resit any units for AS, and get your grades up? That takes the pressure off your A2 but keeps your ums high.
Sometimes all you need is to resit one module.

Although some students do get AAB offers, one of the friends who got into all the vet schools she applied to, had AAA across them all, apart from Cambridge who wanted A*A*A. She also applied to Bristol, Liverpool and Nottingham.

The only person I know so far who got an AAB offer was for Surrey, her others all wanted AAA.

Hi thankyou so much for replying! I have spoke to my maths teachers and they have said that I can resist 2 of my modules this year, and they said that because I will be doing much harder stuff this year it will be easy marks for me and will increase my UMS and even if I did get lower grades they count the higher ones, so that is what I'm thinking of doing.
However, how does this sit with unis? I've tried to have a look on the websites and on some I'm either struggling to find it or they say it in a confusing way. Would this make me at a disadvantage against applicants not retaking?
[QUOTE=Lizziefickling;67486822]Offers for vet medicine are AAA at Liverpool AAA/AAB at RVC and AAB at Bristol and Nottingham.

If you get through the interview stage at those universities your offer for a place would be for those grades, therefore for Liverpool you would need to achieve AAA for your place, you would be fine with the other universities.

Students do get into Liverpool with AAB but I wouldn't count on it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thankyou so much for you help, I am thinking of retaking some modules in my maths to increase my UMS so hopefully it will make it easier to achieve an A next year.
Reply 5
Hi thankyou so much for replying! I have spoke to my maths teachers and they have said that I can resist 2 of my modules this year, and they said that because I will be doing much harder stuff this year it will be easy marks for me and will increase my UMS and even if I did get lower grades they count the higher ones, so that is what I'm thinking of doing.
However, how does this sit with unis? I've tried to have a look on the websites and on some I'm either struggling to find it or they say it in a confusing way. Would this make me at a disadvantage against applicants not retaking?

I know a couple of them are okay with resits, it should be written in their admissions procedure.
The general rule with their resits when you're applying with a grade you intented to improve, is that they aren't lower than a B... And that on resitting you achieve the A grade. Some have different policys so it's worth looking at each vet school. I know that Surreys admission policy for 2016 states that they accept resits.
- these policys can change, so always worth checking the year you apply.
Thankyou so much for you help, I am thinking of retaking some modules in my maths to increase my UMS so hopefully it will make it easier to achieve an A next year.

Just so you know, when I applied to Bristol you needed to be predicted AAA. They were very clear at interview that we shouldn't even bother calling them if we ended up achieving AAB, but they went on to give some of us AAB contextual offers (i.e for people from bad schools, low income backgrounds etc. I don't know how exactly they worked it out). I believe this has now changed so that you can apply with AAB predicted, but only if you meet their contextual offer requirements.
Original post by Cowie315
I know a couple of them are okay with resits, it should be written in their admissions procedure.
The general rule with their resits when you're applying with a grade you intented to improve, is that they aren't lower than a B... And that on resitting you achieve the A grade. Some have different policys so it's worth looking at each vet school. I know that Surreys admission policy for 2016 states that they accept resits.
- these policys can change, so always worth checking the year you apply.

Well I got a B this year and am going for the A so that would work for me :smile: and when I looked most spoke about reapplication but I will have a look again and if I can't find anything I'll ringing up. Thankyou for your help :smile:
[QUOTE=Little Tail Chaser;67587088]Just so you know, when I applied to Bristol you needed to be predicted AAA. They were very clear at interview that we shouldn't even bother calling them if we ended up achieving AAB, but they went on to give some of us AAB contextual offers (i.e for people from bad schools, low income backgrounds etc. I don't know how exactly they worked it out). I believe this has now changed so that you can apply with AAB predicted, but only if you meet their contextual offer requirements.
Hi Thankyou for your reply! Luckily I have persuaded all my teachers to predict me an A so hopefully I shouldn't have a problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending