The Student Room Group

Whagt Uni will take me?

Am 21 and I just found out that I could go to uni as a mature student. I wasso happy because I’ve always wanted to go to a brick uni and experience thestudent life.

But when I was in school and college I never really concentrated. At school Igot only 2 grade C GCSE's in IT and Religious studies and a grade G in maths(very embarrassed). At Sixth form and did Level 2 Health and social care (Merit)And Level 2 public services (Distinction), I only got a merit and distinctionbecause teachers would not allow me to hand in a pass grade assignment. I leftthe sixth form because I felt I was being treated like a child. Went a collegeand did Level 2 in Applied Science and Level 2 Diploma in IT and achievedpasses because to be honest I could not be bothered going for distinction. WhichI now regret. I would have done a level 3 course if I had known that it would havegiven me a chance at uni but I did not know and I thought you could only getinto uni with A - Levels

I've just finished an Open University Access course I have not got my Finalresults yet but I’ve been doing well, I always achieved 70s scores and I was onthe second highest grade band. I might have made it on the top band if I wasnot being knocked down with little thing like spelling and referencing.

I thought maybe I could go to Oxford or Cambridge but with my Grade G inmaths they might not take me. The OU Access course has shown me that I havepotential. I don’t want to resit maths just yet because I have tried many timesand failed, I will resit it again one day but not just yet.

I've always wanted to go to uni but with my grades I thought I had no chanceso I convinced myself I don’t want to go because I don’t want to be in debt,but I do want to go. 6 years is just way to long with the OU. All my friendsare in Uni and they am sure their grades were similar to mine or slightlybetter but they concentrated and did their Level 3 and went to uni. I feel likea complete loser, But I believe that I still have a chance and that somewherein this country an university would take me. I know I can do this, I know I canwork hard.

I want to go to resected and sophisticated University. What University willtake me?
I'm afraid you are unlikely to get into any brick university without first getting a grade C in maths and English GCSEs. I suggest that you see whether any local colleges can help you with these, as soon as possible, as the academic year has already begun. I'm not sure whether your OU Access course will count as a suitable qualification for entry to university. You would need to enquire with the universities in which you are interested. If it isn't, then you should consider taking an Access to HE course, which is accepted by most universities for most courses.
No chance without C or better in Math and Eng GCSE.
What Schade said @3

1. You need Maths and English GCSE or equivalent, such as functional skills. Your local colleges can tell you whats available. The unis will tell you whats accpetable.
2. You need to check woth OU how mmany credits or what their Access course is equivalent to.
You may need the Access to HE course.
https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx

In which case see if you can get some credit for your OU version.

You need to get full careers advice so you know everything you have to do and that you cna probide everything a Uni looks for.

Think you will struggle to get into Oxbridge, but a wrod of advice that you need to do your research throughly when you eventually get into a position to choose a Uni, so you go to the best one possible as all degrees are not equal.

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/aboutus/contactus/Pages/Contactus.aspx
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AccessToUni25
No chance without C or better in Math and Eng GCSE.

i Have A C in GCSE English
Original post by 999tigger
What Schade said @3

1. You need Maths and English GCSE or equivalent, such as functional skills. Your local colleges can tell you whats available. The unis will tell you whats accpetable.
2. You need to check woth OU how mmany credits or what their Access course is equivalent to.
You may need the Access to HE course.
https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx

In which case see if you can get some credit for your OU version.

You need to get full careers advice so you know everything you have to do and that you cna probide everything a Uni looks for.

Think you will struggle to get into Oxbridge, but a wrod of advice that you need to do your research throughly when you eventually get into a position to choose a Uni, so you go to the best one possible as all degrees are not equal.

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/aboutus/contactus/Pages/Contactus.aspx

I've already booked an appointment with careers. I fear if i resit maths I'll just fail again. But am really good at graphs and statistics and stuff like that
Original post by oneofthegirls
I've already booked an appointment with careers. I fear if i resit maths I'll just fail again. But am really good at graphs and statistics and stuff like that

Functional skills is a slightly different approach and some unis will accpet level 2. Most if not all Unis require gcse or equivalent. Your plan must be complete.

The normal route if you dont do A levels is an Access course or BTECs. Just find out what you need and complete whatever it is. Dont give up.
Original post by 999tigger
Functional skills is a slightly different approach and some unis will accpet level 2. Most if not all Unis require gcse or equivalent. Your plan must be complete.

The normal route if you dont do A levels is an Access course or BTECs. Just find out what you need and complete whatever it is. Dont give up.

I hve been attempting maths boths at GCSE and Functional skills and always failed.
My current qualifications
GCSE Grade C in IT
GCSE Grade C in Religious studies
Distinction in Level 2 public services
Merit Level 2 in Health and Social Care
Pass at Applied science Level 2
Pass in Level 2 Diploma in IT
And of course the Grade G in Maths :frown:
You just need the Access course + Maths and English, check with unis, but thats what most will have as a min requirement.
Maybe your careers advisor can come up with a plan to help with maths. Dont give up and you will get there eventually.

Quick Reply

Latest