The Student Room Group

Can I Still Get An A* With a B at AS?

I got relatively high B's in my Physics and Chemistry CIE AS Level Exams. In terms of my Percentage Uniform Mark i got:

Physics - (78%)
Chemistry - (79%)

Could i still get an A*? If so, in terms of the Percentage Uniform Mark, how much am i going to need at A2 to get at A* in Physics and Chemistry respectively? As an estimation how many raw marks do you think i would need to get an A*?
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
I got relatively high B's in my Physics and Chemistry CIE AS Level Exams. In terms of my Percentage Uniform Mark i got:

Physics - (78%)
Chemistry - (79%)

Could i still get an A*? If so, in terms of the Percentage Uniform Mark, how much am i going to need at A2 to get at A* in Physics and Chemistry respectively? As an estimation how many raw marks do you think i would need to get an A*?

As far as I understand it you will need 80% across all units and 90% in all A2 Units to get an A*
In short without retakes it isn't possible. As said above you need to match those percentages for your overall UMS to be classed as an A*
If it were any other exam board it would be easier, 90% overall in your A2s would give you an A* without needing to retake. However, with CIE, you need 90% average across both AS and A2, which is literally impossible with your current scores - even if you got 100% in both A2s, you wouldn't hit 90% overall for either. So unfortunately, if you want to get A*s, you're going to have to retake.
Original post by VMD100
In short without retakes it isn't possible. As said above you need to match those percentages for your overall UMS to be classed as an A*

ah doesn't apply here cos CIE sorry :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by justinawe
If it were any other exam board it would be easier, 90% overall in your A2s would give you an A* without needing to retake. However, with CIE, you need 90% average across both AS and A2, which is literally impossible with your current scores - even if you got 100% in both A2s, you wouldn't hit 90% overall for either. So unfortunately, if you want to get A*s, you're going to have to retake.
:doh::doh:. Wait but this are the grade thresholds for this summer http://papers.gceguide.com/A%20Levels/Chemistry%20(9701)/9701_s16_gt.pdf.
I checked the weighting factors and everything is 1 except for any component with 3 (e.g. 31) which is weighted at 0.75.

I got 86 after weighting (1 x 42) + (1 x 30) + (0.75 x 19) = 86.25 which is basically 86 syllabus marks. Considering that an A* was 180 does that not mean after weighting all i would need was 94 syllabus marks after weighting which is the same as the number of raw marks i would need because the weighting factor is 1 for both component 4 and 5 (if i did it in june).

Btw do you know what component 84 or component 95 is?
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
:doh::doh:. Wait but this are the grade thresholds for this summer http://papers.gceguide.com/A%20Levels/Chemistry%20(9701)/9701_s16_gt.pdf.
I checked the weighting factors and everything is 1 except for any component with 3 (e.g. 31) which is weighted at 0.75.

I got 86 after weighting (1 x 42) + (1 x 30) + (0.75 x 19) = 86.25 which is basically 86 syllabus marks. Considering that an A* was 180 does that not mean after weighting all i would need was 94 syllabus marks after weighting which is the same as the number of raw marks i would need because the weighting factor is 1 for both component 4 and 5 (if i did it in june).

Btw do you know what component 84 or component 95 is?

Just as a disclaimer here, I didn't do CIE A-levels myself, whatever I'm saying here is based off what I understood when I was helping my younger brother who got his CIE AS-level results last month figure this stuff out. You should definitely consult your teachers or the staff at your school or college about this to make sure.

If that's the case, I believe it is possible for you to get an A* without retaking, however if you don't retake you'll be leaving it up to chance. Note that 180 for an A* is the threshold for people who have completed their A2s in this exam cycle, yours will be different and quite possibly higher. Not to mention that getting 94 syllabus marks in your A2 is going to be way harder, the grade thresholds for the component 4 papers are that low for a reason. Overall, I believe if you really want that A*, you should retake, but again please consult someone at your school or college before you decide.

And sorry, I don't know what either of those are.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by justinawe
Just as a disclaimer here, I didn't do CIE A-levels myself, whatever I'm saying here is based off what I understood when I was helping my younger brother who got his CIE AS-level results last month figure this stuff out. You should definitely consult your teachers or the staff at your school or college about this to make sure.

If that's the case, I believe it is possible for you to get an A* without retaking, however if you don't retake you'll be leaving it up to chance. Note that 180 for an A* is the threshold for people who have completed their A2s in this exam cycle, yours will be different and quite possibly higher. Not to mention that getting 94 syllabus marks in your A2 is going to be way harder, the grade thresholds for the component 4 papers are that low for a reason. Overall, I believe if you really want that A*, you should retake, but again please consult someone at your school or college before you decide.

And sorry, I don't know what either of those are.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply

Latest