The Student Room Group

Teacher marked me down because I expressed my belief in God

I have only ever gotten full marks in tests and used to get along nicely with this teacher.

A week before we got our predicted grades, s/he asked me if I believed in God I said I did, I did not say which religion or anything but s/he still frowned. A week later, I get my predicted grades and I got predicted a D!!

Like believing in God makes me dumb!

This teacher is a militant atheist but I never knew it could go to these extremes!

I don't know if I should report it because I'm scared I'll be disregarded as being dramatic or making it up because I got a low grade.

What should I do? Even if s/he changes the grade I honestly don't feel comfortable having a teacher like this.

I am strongly considering appeasing the teacher and acting like I'm an atheist just to stay out of trouble.

Please help!

Scroll to see replies

Which subject was that in? Maybe query your predicted grade, it seems unlikely a teacher would ruin your predicted grade just for believing in god. Perhaps the 2 aren't related?
Reply 2
Original post by k.russell
Which subject was that in? Maybe query your predicted grade, it seems unlikely a teacher would ruin your predicted grade just for believing in god. Perhaps the 2 aren't related?

I will. I hope the two aren't related but I see no other explanation. I got full marks toon everything I did!
Original post by Anonymous
I have only ever gotten full marks in tests and used to get along nicely with this teacher.

A week before we got our predicted grades, s/he asked me if I believed in God I said I did, I did not say which religion or anything but s/he still frowned. A week later, I get my predicted grades and I got predicted a D!!

This teacher is a militant atheist but I never knew it could go to these extremes!

I don't know if I should report it because I'm scared I'll be disregarded as being dramatic or making it up because I got a low grade.

What should I do? Even if s/he changes the grade I honestly don't feel comfortable having a teacher like this.

I am strongly considering appeasing the teacher and acting like I'm an atheist just to stay out of trouble.

Please help!

Bloody hell that's a horrible person.
I will. I hope the two aren't related but I see no other explanation. I got full marks toon everything I did!

I'd suspect it was a coincidence, could you compare your test mark to someone elses?
Does your teacher own a fedora?
So there is no evidence to suggest what your saying is true at all? It may be that you haven't met the required grade, every year the work gets harder. Just because your used to receiving high grades doesn't mean you always will. Its a pretty bold statement to accuse someone of treating you different on the grounds of your religious beliefs
Reply 7
Original post by Mimsycrafts
So there is no evidence to suggest what your saying is true at all? It may be that you haven't met the required grade, every year the work gets harder. Just because your used to receiving high grades doesn't mean you always will. Its a pretty bold statement to accuse someone of treating you different on the grounds of your religious beliefs

I got full marks on every single test and only missed on mark on the mock exam. People who have gotten B's and C's and got an average score on the mock are predicted a B!

There is absolutely no ambiguity regarding what grade I deserve! Whether or not it's because I said I believed in God I don't know for sure because I can't read minds, but given the teacher's history and hardcore political views.. What else could it be?
Reply 8
Original post by claireestelle
I'd suspect it was a coincidence, could you compare your test mark to someone elses?

I did and that's when I realised people with lower marks had gotten higher predicted grades.

Hell, most students got higher grades. It's depressing.
I got full marks on every single test and only missed on mark on the mock exam. People who have gotten B's and C's and got an average score on the mock are predicted a B!

There is absolutely no ambiguity regarding what grade I deserve! Whether or not it's because I said I believed in God I don't know for sure because I can't read minds, but given the teacher's history and hardcore political views.. What else could it be?

Maybe its because they feel you have reached your peak and will struggle from now? Maybe its a typo? Maybe its because you come across as a little entitled and they feel you need a kick up the backside? But there is nothing to suggest the teacher has done this due to your religious beliefs. It seems that you have more of an issue with their choices than they do with yours.
I did and that's when I realised people with lower marks had gotten higher predicted grades.

Hell, most students got higher grades. It's depressing.

They most likely have a reason for giving you a lower predicted grade for some reason, but i seriously doubt that its due to your religious beliefs, unless you have real evidence i dont think you can do anything in this situation really.
Predicted grades mean the world! Especially when you're applying to a good uni. That teacher of yours seems messed up, and although I don't know the whole story, I do think she lowered your predicted grades because of your beliefs. I had a teacher bully me last year because of my depression. He used to make fun of how often I'd be out of school. I do wish I did something about it.
Only way to be sure I guess is to approach your teacher and ask where in your work they thought you went wrong and where to improve in order for you to understand how they came to the conclusion of predicting you a D. After that..

Prove them wrong (by acing any other work you are assigned).
So despite what all the other posters say about having no evidence, it may be coincidence, perhaps it is to motivate you're still convinced it is religious persecution? Why post it on a forum if you're just going to bat away all other opinions but your own?
Original post by VMD100
So despite what all the other posters say about having no evidence, it may be coincidence, perhaps it is to motivate you're still convinced it is religious persecution? Why post it on a forum if you're just going to bat away all other opinions but your own?

I was a bit defensive but I've calmed down now and am taking all people's comments into consideration. Will talk to my teacher tomorrow
Having lower predicted grades is actually good, at GCSE.
I don't see how most of you posters can think it's not out of the ordinary for a student who nearly always gets full marks and dropped one mark in their mock to be predicted a D...

It definitely seems to me that the teacher is discriminating against OP.

However, as a previous poster said, if this is GCSE then it doesn't really matter. But if this is A Level then obviously being predicted a D when you should have an A or A* is a big deal.

Please help!

What were your previous grades? If they were much higher then ask the teacher why your preficted is so low. Alternatively ask the head of sixth form or head of department about how to handle the situation. Its hard to say whether you deserve a D or not.
Reply 18
The OP better watch out in case his teacher feeds him to a lion.
maybe your "god" didn't give you the wits in this certain subject

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending