Original post by Serine Soul
I was thinking perhaps an owl

Someone I know is taking a toad

toads are outta fashion
Original post by EricPiphany
toads are outta fashion

Tbh Cambridge is like, ancient, so you have to act ancient too
Original post by Mathemagicien
Chilli plant. So I've got something to snack on if I'm hungry.

I was actually thinking of taking my mum's chilli plant (super hot chillies) so my food is bearable and not bland

I was actually thinking of taking my mum's chilli plant (super hot chillies) so my food is bearable and not bland

My flatmates and I grew chillies at Cam last year. Super fun and v. low committment as well.*

I have some spare dorset naga plants if ur up for that. they might cause skin burns though if handled too long
Anyone know when we find out about the Cambridge bursary?

Also, any Homerton maths people know what the pre-term course is about? I've been told that as a CompSci w. Maths I don't need to go on either course, but I'm a bit worried that I'll turn up on the 1st and everyone else will be experts in vector calculus or something.
Original post by sweeneyrod

Also, any Homerton maths people know what the pre-term course is about? I've been told that as a CompSci w. Maths I don't need to go on either course, but I'm a bit worried that I'll turn up on the 1st and everyone else will be experts in vector calculus or something.

Homerton told me we find out on the 2nd or 3rd week the college tells us.
Yeh I have no clue what the course is for, I am going anyway as it is probably good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you read this? (P.2. The second paragraph on "Early arrival....."

http://www.homerton.cam.ac.uk/sites/default/files/imce/admissions/docs/UG_WelcomeBooklet2016.pdf
Original post by vincrows
Have you read this? (P.2. The second paragraph on "Early arrival....."

http://www.homerton.cam.ac.uk/sites/default/files/imce/admissions/docs/UG_WelcomeBooklet2016.pdf

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I needed to go on the CompSci one (which is for NatSci maths which I won't be doing) or that Maths one, so I emailed the admissions tutor. To my surprise, she said neither (after asking the DoSes). So I'm assuming the NatSci maths one is irrelevant because I'm not doing that paper, and the Maths one covers one of the maths papers I won't be doing (e.g. it's to get everyone up to scratch on mechanics). But it seems a little odd, so I thought I'd double check, just in case the DoSes got their wires crossed and each assumed I was doing the other course or something.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if I needed to go on the CompSci one (which is for NatSci maths which I won't be doing) or that Maths one, so I emailed the admissions tutor. To my surprise, she said neither (after asking the DoSes). So I'm assuming the NatSci maths one is irrelevant because I'm not doing that paper, and the Maths one covers one of the maths papers I won't be doing (e.g. it's to get everyone up to scratch on mechanics). But it seems a little odd, so I thought I'd double check, just in case the DoSes got their wires crossed and each assumed I was doing the other course or something.

Right..... Interesting, isn't it?
If you're a mathematician, you have pre-sessions.
If you're a compsci, you have pre-term maths sessions.
But if you're a compsci with maths, no need to go either.
How does it work??
Is it because you're something in between?????

Let me know what they say, please. I'm really intrigued.......

IIRC, all information from the bursary is taken directly from your Student Finance Application, so you just had to sit tight and wait. I think you hear around the 3rd week of term. If you haven't heard by then, ask your college's tuition office! *
Original post by EnglishMuon
I have some spare dorset naga plants if ur up for that. they might cause skin burns though if handled too long

That's my fave one. Hmm in chicken curry

Nah I touched one once and rubbed my eyes straight after, nothing happened
Can anyone give me some advice on whether to take Maths A or Maths B with phys natsci?

Is it actually useful to take Maths B, i.e. in year 2/3 will you have already learned maths content for physics and chemistry etc?

I got 100 UMS in both FP2 and FP3 so was considering taking Maths B but my DoS said she highly advises against it. I would only consider taking Maths B if it was actually useful to the course. On the website, it says for those who find maths rewarding, does that mean it will go off on a tangent unrelated to maths for natsci's, or will it be helpful further down the line?

Thanks
That's my fave one. Hmm in chicken curry

Nah I touched one once and rubbed my eyes straight after, nothing happened

really? wow thats either really lucky or ur just immune to capsaicin :tongue:
Reply 1493
Original post by RThornton
Can anyone give me some advice on whether to take Maths A or Maths B with phys natsci?

Is it actually useful to take Maths B, i.e. in year 2/3 will you have already learned maths content for physics and chemistry etc?

I got 100 UMS in both FP2 and FP3 so was considering taking Maths B but my DoS said she highly advises against it. I would only consider taking Maths B if it was actually useful to the course. On the website, it says for those who find maths rewarding, does that mean it will go off on a tangent unrelated to maths for natsci's, or will it be helpful further down the line?

Thanks

I'd say it helps further down the line, especially when you do vector calculus and linear algebra in second year.

If you like maths then do it. My DoS wanted everyone to start to do it and swap to Maths A if they didn't like it.
Original post by RThornton

Thanks

You can ask current students on the same course here, too.

https://www.applytocambridge.com/ask-a-question

But in general, I think you'd be better off listening to what your DOS advises. They know what they're talking about and that's why they're in a position of DOS.
(edited 7 years ago)

Were doing mechanics.
Homerton, can ddo 1 mate. Gona cancel and go on the 1st instead.
really? wow thats either really lucky or ur just immune to capsaicin :tongue:

-- I'm making things up --

I once got vaporub in my eye though, it was torture
-- I'm making things up --

I once got vaporub in my eye though, it was torture

aww that doesn't sound too good. I went to the dorset chilli festival last month and the medical tent there was filled with people with cold packs on their eyes
aww that doesn't sound too good. I went to the dorset chilli festival last month and the medical tent there was filled with people with cold packs on their eyes

:rofl:

I need to go to that festival someday!
:rofl:

I need to go to that festival someday!

yea you should, its great! +free samples all day you cant go wrong :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending