The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MJK91
It's nice but I certainly couldn't have afforded the flights anyway :tongue: there's a lot of self learning involved so it's not just 25 weeks really :smile:

I'd concur. It's more like the full eight months, because even during Christmas and Easter breaks, you're still consolidating and revising everything.
The 26 weeks of the first year (if you count induction week) are the official, measured, engage-with-the-uni contact time, but the learning is basically non-stop from induction week through first-year exams.
Warwick's work experience requirements have me a little confused. They state 70 hours across the last two years and there should be two experiences.
I've worked as a HCA for four years, then an AP in trauma for two and currently in a different role on a medium secure mental health unit. My current role is full time, but does this mean I need further work experience to satisfy the 'two relevant experiences' in the last two years?

At this point I really do feel I've got enough experience to decide on a career in medicine...
Original post by ASupertramp
Warwick's work experience requirements have me a little confused. They state 70 hours across the last two years and there should be two experiences.
I've worked as a HCA for four years, then an AP in trauma for two and currently in a different role on a medium secure mental health unit. My current role is full time, but does this mean I need further work experience to satisfy the 'two relevant experiences' in the last two years?

At this point I really do feel I've got enough experience to decide on a career in medicine...

I think they try to weed out people who only have their undergrad placements (which were for a different profession) or only had one particular job without getting some experience of what junior doctors do. I know lots of us gain insight through working in MDTs but it's worth shadowing a doc for a shift or two so you can say you got to see it, reflect on it etc without having any distractions that come from doing your own job.

PS. No harm in double checking with admissions, you would still have time to do a bit of JD stalking if they want more than your day job.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Quilverine
I think they try to weed out people who only have their undergrad placements (which were for a different profession) or only had one particular job without getting some experience of what junior doctors do. I know lots of us gain insight through working in MDTs but it's worth shadowing a doc for a shift or two so you can say you got to see it, reflect on it etc without having any distractions that come from doing your own job.

PS. No harm in double checking with admissions, you would still have time to do a bit of JD stalking if they want more than your day job.

Thanks. I did the whole shadowing lark when I first decided to go down this route, a couple of years ago. After five different roles in healthcare, some of which involve close work with the medical team, I just don't see how I can get any further experience.

The website states 'this shouldn't be a tick box exercise'. That's exactly what it feels like for people who already work in healthcare.
Thanks. I did the whole shadowing lark when I first decided to go down this route, a couple of years ago. After five different roles in healthcare, some of which involve close work with the medical team, I just don't see how I can get any further experience.

The website states 'this shouldn't be a tick box exercise'. That's exactly what it feels like for people who already work in healthcare.

Mmm it has changed since last year but I do think it's mad that it can't be "just" from one thing if that one thing is incredibly variable and exposes you to all the different criteria. I think the best thing to do is see if they want two references within the last two years (even on the same job you could get your line manager and someone from another department you might work closely with) or if your experiences go way back would they want the evidence of shadowing or not. Asking now gives you plenty of time to collect in all the letters you will need by December/January time.
Mmm it has changed since last year but I do think it's mad that it can't be "just" from one thing if that one thing is incredibly variable and exposes you to all the different criteria. I think the best thing to do is see if they want two references within the last two years (even on the same job you could get your line manager and someone from another department you might work closely with) or if your experiences go way back would they want the evidence of shadowing or not. Asking now gives you plenty of time to collect in all the letters you will need by December/January time.

Thanks. I'm going to give them a ring tomorrow just to confirm.
I can probably get a couple of weeks of shadowing by asking some of my colleagues, but I don't really want to because I still have to work with them afterwards (and shadowing feels very 18 year old) and I wouldn't be gaining anything I don't already have.

Is it correct that Warwick give extra points if you have a masters?
Thanks. I'm going to give them a ring tomorrow just to confirm.
I can probably get a couple of weeks of shadowing by asking some of my colleagues, but I don't really want to because I still have to work with them afterwards (and shadowing feels very 18 year old) and I wouldn't be gaining anything I don't already have.

Is it correct that Warwick give extra points if you have a masters?

I am 29 and shadowed a few F1s/SHOs and did theatre as an observer. I didn't do nights in my role so I came in for a night too. I didn't feel teenage in the slightest, it was no different to how I would interact when working or if I were an independent adjudicator assessing the doctor I was shadowing. They all wrote lovely letters and it was actually really nice just to watch without being caught up in my job, the shadowing built on existing working relationships and 2 docs helped me prep for interviews afterwards. It shouldn't undermine you and it comes over a little arrogant to say you can't gain anything more :wink:

Extra points for Masters and even more extra points for PhD. They scanned my PGCert for the record but no extra points from that.
I am 29 and shadowed a few F1s/SHOs and did theatre as an observer. I didn't do nights in my role so I came in for a night too. I didn't feel teenage in the slightest, it was no different to how I would interact when working or if I were an independent adjudicator assessing the doctor I was shadowing. They all wrote lovely letters and it was actually really nice just to watch without being caught up in my job, the shadowing built on existing working relationships and 2 docs helped me prep for interviews afterwards. It shouldn't undermine you and it comes over a little arrogant to say you can't gain anything more :wink:

Extra points for Masters and even more extra points for PhD. They scanned my PGCert for the record but no extra points from that.

I don't mean it to sound arrogant, I just can't see how shadowing a doctor (which I have already done, albeit over two years ago) can add anything when my job effectively shadows doctors... I wonder, I went to the open day last year bumped into an A&E charge nurse of 20 years, would he have to shadow a medical team? (Assuming that he hasn't done any other work experience to meet the two separate criteria).

To add, I totally understand where you're coming from in terms of adding to experience that you may not have come across (nights, theatre, watching them do paperwork) but my role has meant I've done those things.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't mean it to sound arrogant, I just can't see how shadowing a doctor (which I have already done, albeit over two years ago) can add anything when my job effectively shadows doctors... I wonder, I went to the open day last year bumped into an A&E charge nurse of 20 years, would he have to shadow a medical team? (Assuming that he hasn't done any other work experience to meet the two separate criteria).

To add, I totally understand where you're coming from in terms of adding to experience that you may not have come across (nights, theatre, watching them do paperwork) but my role has meant I've done those things.

At the end of the day Warwick have stated they want it from 2 different experiences. Whether your varied role will be considered as 2 or more of these experiences is at the discretion of Warwick themselves via a conversation with you. Speculation isn't going to help here.
Original post by Marathi
At the end of the day Warwick have stated they want it from 2 different experiences. Whether your varied role will be considered as 2 or more of these experiences is at the discretion of Warwick themselves via a conversation with you. Speculation isn't going to help here.

Very true, I'll ring tomorrow and report back!
Hey guys,

I was just wondering, when do I give them a work experience portfolio including contact details? Do I have to do it with my UCAS application or after my application? Would they email me and ask?

Also, do I need two references for Warwick? I graduated from university last year, but I have asked my current employer to be my UCAS reference. Since Warwick has stated the reference for recent graduates needs to be academic, do I give them a second reference or change my UCAS reference?

Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by carbon_
Hey guys,

I was just wondering, when do I give them a work experience portfolio including contact details? Do I have to do it with my UCAS application or after my application? Would they email me and ask?

Also, do I need two references for Warwick? I graduated from university last year, but I have asked my current employer to be my UCAS reference. Since Warwick has stated the reference for recent graduates needs to be academic, do I give them a second reference or change my UCAS reference?

Thank you!

After you apply. They rank everyone by UKCAT and then email the top however many people with a form you can fill in asking about work experience.

I'd change the UCAS reference to be an academic one.
Original post by Wanderlust&Tea
After you apply. They rank everyone by UKCAT and then email the top however many people with a form you can fill in asking about work experience.

I'd change the UCAS reference to be an academic one.

But I was going to use my academic reference for the Cambridge application :/ I will give them a call and see what they say as well.

Thank you so much for your reply :smile:
Original post by carbon_
Hey guys,

Thank you!

My UCAS reference was my boss as I left uni 2 years before. I spoke to them before applying and said my academic reference could resupply the one she wrote after I graduated and I could send it as a supplement but the online one would be professional. It was fine, I just supplied the academic reference with the work experience letters. Email admissions to explain and give a heads up then keep the guidance they send just in case.
Hey everyone,

I did my UKCAT a while back and got an average of 723.3 with a Band 1 in SJ. I studied Medical Science and graduated with a 1st Class Honours. I have +70hours in the relevant work experience so that's all there.

With a VR of 570, is it wise to apply to Warwick? Or should I wait and decide when the interims come out? Assuming Warwick require average or above...

Where else would you say I'd stand a good chance?
Had an email today for preliminary results from UKCAT. So far the average for verbal reasoning is at 584 and I got 600. Is this the figure that Warwick use, or do they sometimes use a cut off higher than the average? Because if that's the case I have no hope :frown:
Preliminary results are out! Only noticed the email in my junk folder before :smile:

Original post by Member1995
Hey everyone,

I did my UKCAT a while back and got an average of 723.3 with a Band 1 in SJ. I studied Medical Science and graduated with a 1st Class Honours. I have +70hours in the relevant work experience so that's all there.

With a VR of 570, is it wise to apply to Warwick? Or should I wait and decide when the interims come out? Assuming Warwick require average or above...

Where else would you say I'd stand a good chance?
Original post by bmd2
Hey! Would you mind me asking what they are? I'm not on the mailing list and curious! Thanks :smile:

No problem, here's the link :smile:

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2016%20Preliminary%20Mean%20Scores%20150916.pdf
Is it worth applying to Warwick with a 670 average?
Original post by bmd2
Amazing thank you!
I did my UKCAT a couple of days ago and got the following score:
VR: 640
QR: 670
AR: 770

Which gives me an average of 693. Do you think this will be enough? Warwick would be my top choice and I know that they are initially screening based on the VR which is a current average of 580 something.

I have worked for the emergency ambulance service for a year, shadowed a consultant neurologist for a year, have alternate weeks shadowing a GP as part of my current masters course (which I will finish a year early if I were to obtain a place) and have published a paper as lead author reviewing clinical and radiological diagnostic criteria of a sub-categorized dementia.

I feel as if my experience is vast but my UKCAT will unfortunately let me down! Now considering potentially cramming for the BMAT in November and seeing if that puts me in a better position.

I'd say so. Richard Tunstall, who is like head of admissions amongst other things, stated at the open day that there isn't an official ukcat cutoff for Warwick.

In my notes from the open day they look at applicants in this manner:

Step 1 - Rank by UKCAT VR score (which yours is pretty good!)
Step 2 - Rank by total UKCAT score
Step 3 - Assign points for highest degree classification
Step 4 - Create a combined score and invite top 400-450 to submit record of work experience and potentially interview (as long as they meet work exp requirements)

Hope this helps!

Latest

Trending

Trending