The Student Room Group

Do you live in a rural or urban location, and where would you prefer living?

Poll

Do you live in a rural or urban location, and where would you prefer living?

Personally I currently live in an urban location and would prefer being here than in a rural location. I love being in a busy area with plenty of jobs, sights and a more social aspect, and I regularly go home to see my parents which is in a rural location so I see this as being a break from the constant noise of living somewhere urban, which imo is nicer than living there all the time. If you live in a quiet rural location you get used to the peace and quiet then when going to the city it's always too noisy and busy to enjoy. But, other people could say the opposite. As long as you take the time to visit somewhere rural and enjoy the natural side of things and the peace and quiet, living urban is very enjoyable.

Any other opinions?
Not to mention the amount of litter in Urban areas. Traveling into London is a utter disgrace, litter everywhere!
I live in a small city (more like a big town really), and I would prefer to live somewhere rural/remote, in the Outer Hebrides for example :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
I live in a small city (more like a big town really), and I would prefer to live somewhere rural/remote, in the Outer Hebrides for example :smile:

Not a bad idea at all if you can get along with the neighbours, because if you can't there's no escaping them :hmmm:
Original post by FightToWin
Not a bad idea at all if you can get along with the neighbours, because if you can't there's no escaping them :hmmm:

True! Hopefully they'd be nice :tongue:
I live in London and would probably prefer to live somewhere rural because I like open space and being able to go for walks in nice areas. I definitely appreciate the merits of living in a city though, for example being within walking distance of at least seven six supermarkets, one of which is open 24/7, so I can shop when it's convenient to me and can compare prices. I know there's a lot of things I take for granted, such as being close to a bank. Friends of mine that live in rural Wales have to book appointments with the 'bank' (a van that comes to visit them which has an ATM in it) to speak to someone. Same with the library, it's a van full of books that visits a local village once per week.

I'll probably live in the city while I'm still quite young, then go a bit further out in a few years time.
I live in suburbia, I'd rather live in a very rural area (no motorway within 50 miles).
Reply 7
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I live in London and would probably prefer to live somewhere rural because I like open space and being able to go for walks in nice areas. I definitely appreciate the merits of living in a city though, for example being within walking distance of at least seven six supermarkets, one of which is open 24/7, so I can shop when it's convenient to me and can compare prices. I know there's a lot of things I take for granted, such as being close to a bank. Friends of mine that live in rural Wales have to book appointments with the 'bank' (a van that comes to visit them which has an ATM in it) to speak to someone. Same with the library, it's a van full of books that visits a local village once per week.

I'll probably live in the city while I'm still quite young, then go a bit further out in a few years time.

I think whatever you do, you'll take it for granted. If you live in an urban area, before long you'll take the proximity shops, ATM's, libraries etc. while if you live in a rural area you'll take for granted the peace, the walks, everything like that.

Just in my opinion it's better to live in an urban area where you get used to the noise and take the time to go somewhere peaceful and open which you'll appreciate, than live somewhere rural and go somewhere busy and not be used to the noise and how busy it is. But that's just my opinion.
Reply 8
I live in the rural east but I would love to live in a proper town or something of the sort. There are no opportunities here.
Reply 9
Original post by samesea
I live in the rural east but I would love to live in a proper town or something of the sort. There are no opportunities here.

I've always thought about that, how with rural areas you'll have all the residents of villages going after the jobs in a couple of nearby towns which is already full of residents :/ how do people manage with the competition in places like that?
Country lad through and through!!!!
Original post by FightToWin
I've always thought about that, how with rural areas you'll have all the residents of villages going after the jobs in a couple of nearby towns which is already full of residents :/ how do people manage with the competition in places like that?

It's pretty difficult, I mean I live in a seaside village and we only have a regular bus service that goes to the nearest town so that's the only place you could really get a job without risking missing the bus if you're running late. It's so inconvenient to have to live your life by a bus schedule.
I live in a ghetto of Brum :frown: and soon to move to Dingle out in Liverpool with a mate which is...not much better lol
Original post by Snufkin
I live in suburbia, I'd rather live in a very rural area (no motorway within 50 miles).

...are you claiming pensions?
Reply 14
Rural and very happy with it. I couldn't stand living in a city or suburbia.

Quick Reply

Latest