The Student Room Group

***UKCAT 2017 poll***

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vomi
So i got individual scores of 610, 660 and 900 and my average is 723 with sjt band 3. I got 2 questions. a) would the sjt band have a significant effect on my ukcat performance with regards to unis and B) would this score be considered good with regards to applying to "ukcat dependent" unis

Different Med Schools place different emphasis on the SJT, with some ignoring it totally, and some placing a lot of emphasis on it, so it would depend where you are looking at. 723 is likely to be good enough for all UKCAT Uni cut offs, barring big swings in UKCAT deciles this year.
Original post by muztrip
how many people take the test uk-wide? on average. If anyone knows!

About 23,500 roughly each year. Does Google not work for you??

Edit: And from their Twitter today: 22,315 candidates have registered so far this year
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Timewilltellu
From UKCAT website : " Interim 2016 score statistics will be made available on our website in late-September and final test statistics will be published in early October."

According to UKCAT Twitter, they are going to release interim results this week. Has usually been the 15th, so may yet be tomorrow!
The interim results are getting released tomorrow evening.. from a cohort of around 10.3k, out of a total of 22k who've applied so far

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vomi
So i got individual scores of 610, 660 and 900 and my average is 723 with sjt band 3. I got 2 questions. a) would the sjt band have a significant effect on my ukcat performance with regards to unis and B) would this score be considered good with regards to applying to "ukcat dependent" unis

Warwick at least don't consider your SJT result and that score would likely do well at Warwick.
Original post by Rosser1994
The interim results are getting released tomorrow evening.. from a cohort of around 10.3k, out of a total of 22k who've applied so far

Posted from TSR Mobile

May I know from where you got this information?
How is the UKCAT interim results as compared to the final results? Is there a huge variation or largely similar?
Original post by rekhagm
May I know from where you got this information?

Their Twitter
Their Twitter

Going by previous year results, is there a big difference between interim and final statistics? Or are they similar?
Damn it looks higher this year.
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Damn it looks higher this year.

9 points, that is nothing
INTERIM SCORES (Up to 11/9)

Verbal Reasoning -584

Quantitative Reasoning -705

Abstract Reasoning -642

Total Score -1931
(edited 7 years ago)
Basically the total has taken a jump of 30 with QR being the biggest increase (20).
It's made applying for GEM that much harder

Posted from TSR Mobile
Basically the total has taken a jump of 30 with QR being the biggest increase (20).
It's made applying for GEM that much harder

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to clarify, the average over all sections has only increased by 10, and that may well drop down to normal by the end of testing as UKCAT themselves say average scores drop towards the end. It shouldn't be "much harder". :smile:
Ok everyone do not panic, yes it seems this year the average has gone up to 643.67 (so a good 20 point increase on the average), these scores are interim yes but usually they are an accurate representation of the real thing. Please do not panic, but make sure you plan accordingly in terms of medical schools, cut offs are likely to rise if the average score rises so if you are on the boundary of previous cut off scores then ensure that you are cautious in your next move.

I did expect this to happen, the removal of one whole section means 1 less to practice and 1 less to strain your concentration in the exam, it was inevitable that this was likely to happen.
Reply 235
Original post by Natalierm2707
Ok everyone do not panic, yes it seems this year the average has gone up to 643.67 (so a good 20 point increase on the average), these scores are interim yes but usually they are an accurate representation of the real thing. Please do not panic, but make sure you plan accordingly in terms of medical schools, cut offs are likely to rise if the average score rises so if you are on the boundary of previous cut off scores then ensure that you are cautious in your next move.

I did expect this to happen, the removal of one whole section means 1 less to practice and 1 less to strain your concentration in the exam, it was inevitable that this was likely to happen.

Do you think applying to Newcastle with a 727 avg is too risky now?
Original post by Natalierm2707

Unfortunately for that reason it's even more confusing for GEM applicants, Warwick are refusing to say what areas they are using as cut offs until everyone has applied, I averaged 743 and I'm feeling like it's pretty unlikely that'll even get me through to 1 interview now.
Original post by Zedna
Do you think applying to Newcastle with a 727 avg is too risky now?

Its hard to say sorry x
Unfortunately for that reason it's even more confusing for GEM applicants, Warwick are refusing to say what areas they are using as cut offs until everyone has applied, I averaged 743 and I'm feeling like it's pretty unlikely that'll even get me through to 1 interview now.

I really do feel for your graduates because it is so so competative, the UKCAT is basically luck of the draw!
743 is some way into the top decile. I can't believe that any medical school would limit their cohort to anything more extreme than top decile...? Top decile even seems rather aggressive. Maybe I'm too hopeful...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending