The Student Room Group

why don't you need A-level law to study it an Uni

Ive asked loads of questions on this and loads of people have told me that you oddest actually need A-level law to do it a Uni, is that true?
Original post by Will.A2017
Ive asked loads of questions on this and loads of people have told me that you oddest actually need A-level law to do it a Uni, is that true?

For gods sake look if you want to study the law in the UK take it if you intend to study law at any other country don't take it since you study the bloody English Legal System
Reply 2
Original post by Ansari_uzair
For gods sake look if you want to study the law in the UK take it if you intend to study law at any other country don't take it since you study the bloody English Legal System

But my careers advisor and actual law teacher said you don't need it?!

Same here bro, they told me not to. But I'm enjoying it its an interesting and different subject. Plus, you'll get an idea whether law is the path you should take or not. You might regret it if you study it directly in uni. I would rather study a subject i enjoy rather than taking something I dont

Because undergraduate courses are based on you knowing no law.
A level is highly structured and Universities tend to prefer teaching an approach that gets you to think for yourself and is much more in depth. You dont need it an in terms of admissions it offers no advantage and is no favoured. Some departments dislike it.

Yeah you don't need it and English Lit,History are better subjects to prepare you. You could still do Law as a 4th AS tho
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Because undergraduate courses are based on you knowing no law.
A level is highly structured and Universities tend to prefer teaching an approach that gets you to think for yourself and is much more in depth. You dont need it an in terms of admissions it offers no advantage and is no favoured. Some departments dislike it.

Sorry I'm not too sure what you're getting at, are you saying I should take it or shouldn't ?
Sorry I'm not too sure what you're getting at, are you saying I should take it or shouldn't ?

1. They dont require it.
2. It gives you no advantage if you decide to take it, from an admissions perspective. Some departments prefer you to pick something else.
3. It can be moderately useful imo, during your studies.
4. If you take two academic facilitiating subjects then it wont make any difference if its your third A level. Do it if you enjoy it.
1. They dont require it.
2. It gives you no advantage if you decide to take it, from an admissions perspective. Some departments prefer you to pick something else.
4. If you take two academic facilitiating subjects then it wont make any difference if its your third A level. Do it if you enjoy it.

I agree
Reply 9
1. They dont require it.

yeah, thanks os two of mine is history and english lit, is that good facilitating subjects?
http://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-do-universities-really-think-about-a-level-law

A-level Law is not required for uni because not all sixth forms offer it and sixth forms aren't able to teach Law in the style and depth required to warrant it being a requirement for a Law degree. Basically it's not essential (unlike, say, A-level Maths for Maths at university) so there's no need to make it a prerequisite. Law degrees treat you as if you know literally nothing at the beginning.

Quick Reply

Latest