The Student Room Group

Firm and insurance choices

Hey guys

I want to know if it is bad to have an insurance choice for uni that has higher grades required than the firm choice?

Thanks
Original post by F_Afzal
Hey guys

I want to know if it is bad to have an insurance choice for uni that has higher grades required than the firm choice?

Thanks

Yes because it doesn't make sense. Unless you want to go to the uni with lower requirements more than the one with higher ones.
Original post by F_Afzal
Hey guys

Thanks

Usually this would be pointless since if you missed your firm offer, you'd miss your insurance offer. What are the two offers exactly?

But if you want to firm the lower offer by all means.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
Yes because it doesn't make sense. Unless you want to go to the uni with lower requirements more than the one with higher ones.

I understand that it doesn't make sense, but the problem i have is that Aston University is the only uni where i live that does the course i want to do, and uni of bham is another uni that does a course similar to the one i want to do but not the same. Aston has lower grade requirement than uni of bham so i dont know what to do. I want to make Aston my first choice as it will get me straight into the field but that would mean that if i don't get into Aston then i don't get into Bham and i have no idea what i need to do
Reply 4
Original post by 16Characters....
Usually this would be pointless since if you missed your firm offer, you'd miss your insurance offer. What are the two offers exactly?

But if you want to firm the lower offer by all means.

Aston uni is my first choice (this has lower grade requirements) and Uni of Bham is the second choice (but has higher grade requirements).

I want to go to aston coz they do the specific course i want to do.
Bham do a similar course but then it would mean after i would have to do other things to get where i want to be.

I can't move out into accommodation as that will be difficult for me and my family so i don't really have much choices for Uni
Reply 5
Original post by F_Afzal
Aston uni is my first choice (this has lower grade requirements) and Uni of Bham is the second choice (but has higher grade requirements).

I want to go to aston coz they do the specific course i want to do.
Bham do a similar course but then it would mean after i would have to do other things to get where i want to be.

I can't move out into accommodation as that will be difficult for me and my family so i don't really have much choices for Uni

You firm the course/uni you most want to go to.

It's that simple :smile:

(Especially in your situation.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
You firm the course/uni you most want to go to.

It's that simple :smile:

(Especially in your situation.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

But what happens if i don't get into aston coz that means i wont get into Uni of bham? What would i do?
Original post by F_Afzal
But what happens if i don't get into aston coz that means i wont get into Uni of bham? What would i do?

Clearing

Posted from TSR Mobile
why not firm birmingham and insure aston? that way, if you meet your birmingham offer then you can asked to be released to your insurance on results day (if you're still 100% sure about aston) and if you meet your aston offer but not birmingham then you'll go there anyway
Reply 9
Original post by tanyapotter
why not firm birmingham and insure aston? that way, if you meet your birmingham offer then you can asked to be released to your insurance on results day (if you're still 100% sure about aston) and if you meet your aston offer but not birmingham then you'll go there anyway

Can you do that?? Can you ask to go to your insurance offer instead of your firm on results day??
Reply 10
Original post by F_Afzal
Can you do that?? Can you ask to go to your insurance offer instead of your firm on results day??

No because if you meet your Firm Offer then the insurance will disappear from Track.

You can still approach them but it would be via Clearing with no guarantees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
No because if you meet your Firm Offer then the insurance will disappear.

You can still approach them but it would be via Clearing with no guarantees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh damn
Reply 12
Original post by F_Afzal
oh damn

Aston will possibly allow a small (1 or maybe 2 grade) miss if you Firm them.

If you miss that then Clearing is your Plan B.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whilst in most cases its a daft idea (if you miss your grades for a low Firm you will have lost your higher Insurance as well), there are some (rare) examples of where it makes sense.

It does depend on subject and the Universities involved, but if you have a Firm (ABB including A in Basket Weaving) and you are doubtful about that A, an offer of AAB with no specified subjects would give the flexibility to get lower than an A in Basket Weaving.

Lots of useful advice here about 'How to Avoid Getting 5 Rejections' : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections - and advice about making Firm/Insurance choices (wich most people wont even be thinking about until after Christmas at the earliest) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16167-firm-and-insurance-choices
Original post by F_Afzal

NO.

Once your Firm Uni accepts you, your Insurance Uni disappears, and it is effectively impossible to get it back.

Quick Reply

Latest