The Student Room Group

Are my A Levels good enough for Cambridge

Sorry this is probably a really over-asked question. I've heard a lot of rumours about how Cambridge look at UMS in modules and stuff, so I was wondering whether I had a relatively okay chance to apply to Cambridge?

I got 3 A* and an A (I'm thinking of applying for English and I did get 100% this year)

I got 5 A's in AS, but all relatively low A's (not above 90%). Will this affect the application a lot? Also if it helps I did get 12 A* at GCSE

It would be great to know what someone thinks (and if you got into Cambridge, what A level grades you got!) Thanks :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by the-tempest
Sorry this is probably a really over-asked question. I've heard a lot of rumours about how Cambridge look at UMS in modules and stuff, so I was wondering whether I had a relatively okay chance to apply to Cambridge?

I got 3 A* and an A (I'm thinking of applying for English and I did get 100% this year)

I got 5 A's in AS, but all relatively low A's (not above 90%). Will this affect the application a lot? Also if it helps I did get 12 A* at GCSE

It would be great to know what someone thinks (and if you got into Cambridge, what A level grades you got!) Thanks :smile:

I personally believe you could get in although grades aren't the only thing they look for. You should have good ECAs on your brag sheet. Do volunteer work or be an athlete
Reply 2

You finished A2 and got 3A* 1A?
Reply 3
Original post by mathcon
You finished A2 and got 3A* 1A?

yeah I got 3 A* and an A in my A2's and am now taking a gap year
I don't even see why you're stressing. They look pretty perfect to me. Try calling them up and explain your situation.
Do work experience linked to your course e.g. medicine if you want to work in health-related areas like doctors, nurses, surgeons etc. and take part in DofE (Duke of Edinburgh) award, this award is recognised by many employers and universities, I got a gold award in this (you can get bronze, silver and gold). My source is my big brother who graduated from Cambridge Uni in music :smile: Pm me for more details
Reply 6
Original post by Writer_Refresh
I don't even see why you're stressing. They look pretty perfect to me. Try calling them up and explain your situation.

yeah I got 3 A* and an A in my A2's and am now taking a gap year

Yeah, don't see why you're worrying, these are amazing grades well beyond their requirements! Just perfect your personal statement and do some wider reading. Which subjects did you take and which course are you applying for?
Reply 7
Original post by mathcon
Yeah, don't see why you're worrying, these are amazing grades well beyond their requirements! Just perfect your personal statement and do some wider reading. Which subjects did you take and which course are you applying for?

I did English, Maths, Art and History (which I got an A in) and I'm applying for English :smile:
Reply 8
I did English, Maths, Art and History (which I got an A in) and I'm applying for English :smile:

Those are fantastic A-levels! I don't see why you're worrying with 3A* in the bag and a gap year for some wider reading. Good luck with your application, hope you get in!
Reply 9

3 A*s guarantees you an interview - and you will have a competitive post A-level qualification.

Note you will also have the ELAT to add to your application
http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/elat/about-elat/

Cambridge requirements:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/english
Reply 10
Original post by moshe015
Come on mate be realistic. Those A levels are really poor and you call those oxbridge level GCSE results?!?! Id recommend doing an apprenticeship in a building company and maybe working your way up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks man
Reply 11
Original post by mathcon
Those are fantastic A-levels! I don't see why you're worrying with 3A* in the bag and a gap year for some wider reading. Good luck with your application, hope you get in!

thank you! Yeah definitely need to start my wider reading :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest