The Student Room Group

need your help!

Hello everyone!
I am writing to ask how to deal with my situation.
I just started my second year at Lewisham Southwark College. Yesterday I asked Math teacher if I got grade C from Math GCSE Foundation so, why I need to come to math lessons? (I know that Grade C - means I passed my exam and I don't have to do it again and I'm free from math lessons.)
Surprisingly, Math teacher answered that it's doesn't matter what grade I got. Everything is up to head teacher of math...
I did little test which is going to be discuss with head of maths and then he going to decide if I will take the exam again or not. I would like to ask you if it's legal??? Is it right?
Did I waste my years for nothing?
Do I have any rights to go against this?
I would be really appreciate if you could help me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Have you done your actual gcse or its just a practice past exam paper?
Reply 2
What are you studying (apart from Maths)?
Reply 3
I done real gcse math exam and got C.
Reply 4
Original post by Clemm101
What are you studying (apart from Maths)?

Apart from math, I'm studying Travel&Tourism.
Reply 5
Then there is no reason for you to continue studying Maths. The law states that you have to keep studying (up until the age of 18) until you get a C. You have this. The college cannot force you to continue studying Maths. I would make an appointment with the Head of Maths and tell him you wish to withdraw from the course as you have no intention of re-sitting to gain a better grade. You have your C and now want to focus on your Travel & Tourism.
Reply 6
Original post by Clemm101
Then there is no reason for you to continue studying Maths. The law states that you have to keep studying (up until the age of 18) until you get a C. You have this. The college cannot force you to continue studying Maths. I would make an appointment with the Head of Maths and tell him you wish to withdraw from the course as you have no intention of re-sitting to gain a better grade. You have your C and now want to focus on your Travel & Tourism.

That is what I want to do, but I'm afraid of what head of maths going to decide... Don't know how to "fight" with their wrong decision.
Reply 7
If the Head of Maths insists that you need to continue I would then make an appointment with the Principle or their Deputy. Go over his/her head. Honestly, there's no reason for you to be wasting your time and it is probably something to do with the college getting extra funding for you to do the course (they get additional funding for Maths & English re-sits). Don't back down - you don't have to do it!
Reply 8
I totally agree with you! Would you mind to help me to find online GCSE terms or some proofs to Head of Math that I have right to NOT re-sit exam if I got C ??
I need some proofs to show him that I'm free from math lessons... :smile: because without these proofs I can't do much, I'm just a student... Thank you so much for your help
Hi Greta, As discussed via online chat and email, we've raised this directly with the Head of Maths who will make direct contact with you. We're sure that it can be resolved easily and quickly with no fight necessary. We can check the PLR (Personal Learner Record) system to check qualifications. Kind Regards, Sonia (from Lewisham Southwark College)

Quick Reply

Latest