The Student Room Group
Original post by DWaris3
I'm currently 18 y/o and I'm at college studying a L3 BTEC Business Extended diploma. I am having major problems at home that no longer allow me to stay at home.
I have no money, no job and need to move out. What should I do? I need to stay at college because I hope to go to university but for the next 2 years while I'm studying at college, where do I go?? I can't live at home

do you not have any other relatives you could stay with like an aunt of cousins. you could also stay with a friend
Reply 2
Can't you stay at home for just a few more weeks until you figure everything out?
In those few weeks try and land yourself a part time job and work all the shifts you can, and try and find a (not sketchy person off gumtree) house mate so you can get cheap housing, otherwise you can go to a homeless shelter.
Speak to your local council asap and they should give you some good advice with regards to emergency and temporary housing.

Good luck
I'm so sorry to hear this. Contact your local council's Housing Department ASAP and explain your situation. Also,you MUST tell your college and let them know. Is there anyone you can stay with? Some other relative or a friend? Perhaps the family of a friend at college. To be perfectly honest with you I think your priority right now needs to be finding secure accommodation, not your college course. You can go back and do that at any time in your life. Good luck,OP.
Reply 4
Original post by Miniature99
do you not have any other relatives you could stay with like an aunt of cousins. you could also stay with a friend

Nope, no family. As for my friends, the only one I could potentially stay with I'd need to pay rent but I don't have a job. I am looking for jobs but currently unemployed so until that's sorted, I can't pay rent
I had a mate who got kicked out of home when he was 17... Then he got into the hippie rave culture (squatting to live) and started selling... um... chemicals. And then he got tired of it and became a semi-successful model and now he's a vegan and a charity collector making decent coin (no joke, the money's alright). I swear young homeless people have the best stories to tell maybe you'll enjoy it? Maybe your life will become so crazy that people will make films about it...
Reply 6
Original post by DWaris3
Nope, no family. As for my friends, the only one I could potentially stay with I'd need to pay rent but I don't have a job. I am looking for jobs but currently unemployed so until that's sorted, I can't pay rent

You may be able to claim housing benefit to pay the rent. This could take a few weeks to come through though?
Original post by DWaris3

talk to someone in your college maybe they can help. im not much help but good luck OP
Original post by DWaris3
I'm currently 18 y/o and I'm at college studying a L3 BTEC Business Extended diploma. I am having major problems at home that no longer allow me to stay at home.
I have no money, no job and need to move out. What should I do? I need to stay at college because I hope to go to university but for the next 2 years while I'm studying at college, where do I go?? I can't live at home

Because you are 18 your options are limited. I dont know where you live (city) so I dont know whats available for you.

1. Local authorty as markova said. They have no duty to house you as you arent priority need. Thye might offer some assistance though.

2. Your local branch of Shelter. They will know what the local charities are. Ring early or better still go in person.

http://youngpeopleoutcomes.shelter.org.uk/advice_for_advisers_of_young_people/when_young_people_have_to_move_out/accessing_emergency_housing/access_for_18_to_25_year_olds

3. Your local CAB

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/finding-a-place-to-live/young-people-and-housing/

4. There may be local charities. Where I live there is one especially for young homeless people where they are put in a hostel or shared house and then helped to get into private sector housing on the benefits system.

5. In the longer terms you will need assistance to transition onto the benefits system. I would tlak to your college welfare advisor.
Original post by DWaris3

oh this is a hard one first are you shore that you can't stay at home? if not i have a plan first go to the YMCA center they should have rooms for you if you can
pay £1.00 a night next go to student support at you Collage they should help
also talk to the Citizens Advice again they may be able to help I remember one
of the guys in my School got kicked out of his house and the School got this guy a flat.
Dose your collage have accommodation (some collages do) no matter what you need to get a (part time)job to support yourself i hope i helped
Stay for as long as you can, and go into college and let them know. They should have a hardship fund if you need it, and they'll be able to give you the support you need. They'll be able to tell you exactly where you need to go for what and who you need to talk to. They should also be able to advise your best course of action, and what benefits you may be eligible for. It's important that they know of your situation so they can support you in staying in education, rather than them not knowing and you getting kicked out/dropping out for whatever reason. You won't be the first person they've seen in your situation, and you won't be the last. Hope everything works out for you

Latest

Trending

Trending