The Student Room Group

***UKCAT 2017 poll***

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natalierm2707
Ok everyone do not panic, yes it seems this year the average has gone up to 643.67 (so a good 20 point increase on the average), these scores are interim yes but usually they are an accurate representation of the real thing. Please do not panic, but make sure you plan accordingly in terms of medical schools, cut offs are likely to rise if the average score rises so if you are on the boundary of previous cut off scores then ensure that you are cautious in your next move.

I did expect this to happen, the removal of one whole section means 1 less to practice and 1 less to strain your concentration in the exam, it was inevitable that this was likely to happen.

Is there anywhere we can get statistics for international applicants?
Original post by Rosser1994
Unfortunately for that reason it's even more confusing for GEM applicants, Warwick are refusing to say what areas they are using as cut offs until everyone has applied, I averaged 743 and I'm feeling like it's pretty unlikely that'll even get me through to 1 interview now.

I can't imagine Warwick will be that competitive, they're normally less competitive than other UKCAT based GEM courses due to their large student intake.

If your VR is above average (which I assume it is with that score) and your work experience meets the requirements I struggle to see why you wouldn't get an interview at Warwick with a score of 743.
Guys I am really panicking. I was aiming for about 630-650 average because for universities that don't rank the UKCAT heavy it is normally ok for an interview. But if the average is already 650...

I have my test very soon and am extremely panicking now. Heck I am even considering leaving Medicine altogether now despite having done 8 weeks of work experience and gotten the best possible grades :frown:

I don't know what the hell to do :'(

I need someone to give me a rough indication on how similar Medify was to the real exam? I know it varies but please? I do medify and get good scores thankfully but the official mocks are so much harder.

There goes my dream of being a surgeon. Trying not to cry :'(
Original post by .......Jeff458
Guys I am really panicking. I was aiming for about 630-650 average because for universities that don't rank the UKCAT heavy it is normally ok for an interview. But if the average is already 650...

I have my test very soon and am extremely panicking now. Heck I am even considering leaving Medicine altogether now despite having done 8 weeks of work experience and gotten the best possible grades :frown:

I need someone to give me a rough indication on how similar Medify was to the real exam? I know it varies but please? I do medify and get good scores thankfully but the official mocks are so much harder.

The average is always higher in the interim scores than the end of testing ones. I'd say if anything, all the deciles will go down by about 10-15 by the end of testing.

Who dreams of being a surgeon? I understand a fervour for Medicine. But dude, seriously? Why is that your dream?

I'm not trying to offend, just curious. And I really don't think your chances are slim. Have a look around; there are uni's that hardly look at the UKCAT, and apparently your strong in other areas.
Reply 245

Hey!
I had my UKCAT yesterday and I mostly used medify and the mocks and questions on the UKCAT website. I would say the real exam is indeed very similar to the medify questions and those on the UKCAT website. There is no need to panic just keep practicing and you will do well!
Good luck!
Reply 246
Hello everyone!

I did my UKCAT yesterday and scored:

VR 580
QR 710
AR 620
STJ Band 1
Average 637

I'm a graduate with AAB and a First class Master of Pharmacy degree.

I know this is a low score for GEM so just wondering where other graduates with similar UKCAT scores are applying? Are you considering 5 year courses if so where?

Thanks!
Original post by Katray
Hey!
I had my UKCAT yesterday and I mostly used medify and the mocks and questions on the UKCAT website. I would say the real exam is indeed very similar to the medify questions and those on the UKCAT website. There is no need to panic just keep practicing and you will do well!
Good luck!

Original post by Katray
Hello everyone!

I did my UKCAT yesterday and scored:

VR 580
QR 710
AR 620
STJ Band 1
Average 637

I'm a graduate with AAB and a First class Master of Pharmacy degree.

I know this is a low score for GEM so just wondering where other graduates with similar UKCAT scores are applying? Are you considering 5 year courses if so where?

Thanks!

People say Medify was easier compared to mocks though so which one would you say was more similar, official mocks or medify?

What was each section like compared to medify as well. I did a mock on medify and got 630 in quantitative and then an official mock and got 500. I literally started crying :'( Did you find this too or...? Because the official mocks have so much more reading in it, was this the case in the exam or...?

Lastly, if you don't mind me asking what were your scores like on Medify? I have done one and averaged 627 band 2. Never had a band 1 in my life yet.

Sorry for all the questions but I am just so panicked that I have actually made myself ill and have been given medication because otherwise I get so bad I am not allowed at school. You are such a help I would really appreciate if you could answer these questions?

I really wish you the best of luck with your application for GEM and not entirely relevant but my sister studies Pharmacy haha :')
Original post by studentsixth
The average is always higher in the interim scores than the end of testing ones. I'd say if anything, all the deciles will go down by about 10-15 by the end of testing.

Do they always go down? Because everypne in school is getting high marks now and I struggle to pass a lot of the times :'(

Original post by G.name
Who dreams of being a surgeon? I understand a fervour for Medicine. But dude, seriously? Why is that your dream?
I'm not trying to offend, just curious. And I really don't think your chances are slim. Have a look around; there are uni's that hardly look at the UKCAT, and apparently your strong in other areas.

Hey,

I did work experience at a hospital. I have never been bothered with a career. Just wanted to do well academically. Having done other work experience before, this was by far one of the best days in my life wihtout exaggeration. It's like I could see myself doing it forever. It made me so happy seing the surgeon operate, get on humorously with everyone, being empathetic, saving the patients life and doing so very humbly. It was soooo amazing to actually see a REAL surgery. It was so cool seing everything in the body. It really is the ONLY thing I see myself doing but I can't reapply if I don't get in due to personal issues so it really is my only chance.
Do they always go down? Because everypne in school is getting high marks now and I struggle to pass a lot of the times :'(

Hey,

I did work experience at a hospital. I have never been bothered with a career. Just wanted to do well academically. Having done other work experience before, this was by far one of the best days in my life wihtout exaggeration. It's like I could see myself doing it forever. It made me so happy seing the surgeon operate, get on humorously with everyone, being empathetic, saving the patients life and doing so very humbly. It was soooo amazing to actually see a REAL surgery. It was so cool seing everything in the body. It really is the ONLY thing I see myself doing but I can't reapply if I don't get in due to personal issues so it really is my only chance.

good luck with it. You sound like you have some solid reasons to pursue this study over decades.
Reply 250
People say Medify was easier compared to mocks though so which one would you say was more similar, official mocks or medify?

What was each section like compared to medify as well. I did a mock on medify and got 630 in quantitative and then an official mock and got 500. I literally started crying :'( Did you find this too or...? Because the official mocks have so much more reading in it, was this the case in the exam or...?

Lastly, if you don't mind me asking what were your scores like on Medify? I have done one and averaged 627 band 2. Never had a band 1 in my life yet.

Sorry for all the questions but I am just so panicked that I have actually made myself ill and have been given medication because otherwise I get so bad I am not allowed at school. You are such a help I would really appreciate if you could answer these questions?

I really wish you the best of luck with your application for GEM and not entirely relevant but my sister studies Pharmacy haha :':wink:

I think it's hard to say which one is "more" similar tbh. but of course the official mocks are provided by the UKCAT so that would give you the most accurate representation.
For QR I just went straight to the question and didn't read the info that comes with it. For most questions I didn't have to read the other info.
I was averaging higher on medify than I got in the real exam except I never got a Band 1 on the mocks but in the exam I did so I think you really can't predict anything.
All you can do is keep practicing and be calm on the day! Good luck.
I've got what feels like some bad news..
the current cut top decile score is 2190. I emailed Newcastle to see where that would put me in relation to previous years.

A101
2011 2810 (702 average)
2012 2810 (702 average)
2013 2900 (725 average)
2014 3070 (767 average)
2015 - 2910 (727 average)
2016 - 2880 (720 average)

Now all of these effectively correlate to the top decile scores for their year e.g. The top decile score of 2180 in the 2013 UKCAT relates to the 3070 cut off for 2014 entry.
Meaning if that UKCAT averages don't fall this year further than the interims released yesterday then the cut off is likely to be 780+ which is basically ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also A100 cut offs are below.. they would likely see an increase on the 2014 result upto around 750

A100
2011 2670
2012 2660
2013 2780
2014 2980
2015 - 2300
2016 - 2730

Posted from TSR Mobile
The average will fall I think. The issue is is that they don't do interim results very frequently. Looking at 2014's interim at this point and the end cycle scores, the average dropped by about 10 points. So I think we're looking at a drop of about 10-20 at each decile by the end of testing date.
Also A100 cut offs are below.. they would likely see an increase on the 2014 result upto around 750

A100
2011 2670
2012 2660
2013 2780
2014 2980
2015 - 2300
2016 - 2730

Posted from TSR Mobile

The hike isn't nearly that much. For A100, 696.7-700 cut off makes more sense.
Original post by studentsixth
The hike isn't nearly that much. For A100, 696.7-700 cut off makes more sense.

Rosser1994,

I don't know where you're getting these ridiculous figures from.

1. They go on the pool of applicants that apply to their specific uni, so we will never be certain until they release them
2. If you were to work it out this way... e.g. for A100

2016 entry- the cut off was 2730 (682.5 avg) with the national average being 2531

2730-2531/2531= 0.0786

Therefore, if you multiply the current average (1931) by 1.0786, you end up with 2082.8 thus 694.3 on average
Original post by Member1995
Rosser1994,

1. They go on the pool of applicants that apply to their specific uni, so we will never be certain until they release them

2016 entry- the cut off was 2730 (682.5 avg) with the national average being 2531

2730-2531/2531= 0.0786

Therefore, if you multiply the current average (1931) by 1.0786, you end up with 2082.8 thus 694.3 on average

where are the interim ukcat results?
Original post by Member1995
Rosser1994,

2730-2531/2531= 0.0786

Exactly!
I've got what feels like some bad news..
the current cut top decile score is 2190. I emailed Newcastle to see where that would put me in relation to previous years.

A101
2011 2810 (702 average)
2012 2810 (702 average)
2013 2900 (725 average)
2014 3070 (767 average)
2015 - 2910 (727 average)
2016 - 2880 (720 average)

Now all of these effectively correlate to the top decile scores for their year e.g. The top decile score of 2180 in the 2013 UKCAT relates to the 3070 cut off for 2014 entry.
Meaning if that UKCAT averages don't fall this year further than the interims released yesterday then the cut off is likely to be 780+ which is basically ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The top decile this year so far according to the interim results was 730 average. Where on earth are you getting 780 from?
Original post by Gogregg
The top decile this year so far according to the interim results was 730 average. Where on earth are you getting 780 from?

where are the interim results??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending