The Student Room Group

Chess games

Scroll to see replies

lol looks like everybody's gone here but idc
Just played an almost perfect game supposedly..
25 excellent moves and 1 "good" move. average centipawn loss of 2.
I was pleased to see the line that led to me winning a piece. Tendency to miscalculate in actual games. Of course a pawn is good, but a pawn and a piece is better..

https://www.chess.com/live/game/1725645214
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
lol looks like everybody's gone here but idc
Just played an almost perfect game supposedly..
25 excellent moves and 1 "good" move. average centipawn loss of 2.
I was pleased to see the line that led to me winning a piece. Tendency to miscalculate in actual games. Of course a pawn is good, but a pawn and a piece is better..

https://www.chess.com/live/game/1725645214

Gosh that's accurate lol.
I know I was a piece up in this game from the start, but I just love how I played it anyway - not giving my opponent even an ounce of counterplay, full on positionally strangling my opponent as Silman has taught me :wink:.

https://en.lichess.org/zkShk7TH/black#94
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Gosh that's accurate lol.
I know I was a piece up in this game from the start, but I just love how I played it anyway - not giving my opponent even an ounce of counterplay, full on positionally strangling my opponent as Silman has taught me :wink:.

https://en.lichess.org/zkShk7TH/black#94

Indeed crushing counterplay is one of the most gratifying things you can do in chess. Conversely, being up material and allowing game-turning counterplay is one of the most soul-destroying things you can do in chess. :redface:
edit: I see you also like to promote to a rook when it gets the job done. Minimalism lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Indeed crushing counterplay is one of the most gratifying things you can do in chess. Conversely, being up material and allowing game-turning counterplay is one of the most soul-destroying things you can do in chess. :redface:

Well said haha. Being much more aware of my opponent's counterplay than my own play is what I'm working on in my games these days (like I play much chess at all lol, but definitely when I start playing a lot). It's great; it makes everything so secure, you're always in control of the game, you can end up beating masters and of course the best part - once you've strangled them, you can take your time torturing them, no need to be too quick to win :wink: (as shown in that game I played lol).
I see you also like to promote to a rook when it gets the job done. Minimalism lol.

I was hoping you'd notice that XD. Yep minimalism ftw.
Well said haha. Being much more aware of my opponent's counterplay than my own play is what I'm working on in my games these days (like I play much chess at all lol, but definitely when I start playing a lot). It's great; it makes everything so secure, you're always in control of the game, you can end up beating masters and of course the best part - once you've strangled them, you can take your time torturing them, no need to be too quick to win :wink: (as shown in that game I played lol).

That's probably my absolute biggest problem. I don't think I'm a horrendous planner, the problem is working out how to implement my plans while stopping my opponent's. And indeed, the pendulum can swing the other way and you can make too many "fearful" moves so to speak and then everything fizzles out. Your comments remind me of a famous Karpov game; I believe it was the one in this lecture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2M3lmQ37Yw

I was hoping you'd notice that XD. Yep minimalism ftw.

For a different kind of minimalism and torture I enjoy the following:

47. ...Bh3+
48. Kg1 Nd4
49. Kh1 *random passing move* (e.g. a5)
50. Kg1 Ne2 +
51. Kh1 Be2#
That's probably my absolute biggest problem. I don't think I'm a horrendous planner, the problem is working out how to implement my plans while stopping my opponent's. And indeed, the pendulum can swing the other way and you can make too many "fearful" moves so to speak and then everything fizzles out. Your comments remind me of a famous Karpov game; I believe it was the one in this lecture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2M3lmQ37Yw

47. ...Bh3+
48. Kg1 Nd4
50. Kg1 Ne2 +
51. Kh1 Be2#

Definitely gonna watch that if I haven't already; I love Finegold's lectures :biggrin:.Yeah simply considering counterplay a lot will improve your strategic game massively. Some of my best games are won almost without tactics haha.

Lol I guess various torture methods were at my disposal. But I like the cheeky underpromotion to a rook :smile:.
(edited 7 years ago)

47. ...Bh3+
48. Kg1 Nd4
50. Kg1 Ne2 +
51. Kh1 Be2#

You wanna play some bughouse on chess.com some time? I haven't played bughouse in years but sounds like it'd be fun.
You wanna play some bughouse on chess.com some time? I haven't played bughouse in years but sounds like it'd be fun.

I tried, and it was horrible. I hate bughouse, I think. I lose almost immediately, even against people who only slightly outclass me (or perhaps don't even outclass at me at all) in normal chess. Maybe I'll try to play some more games and see if it changes my mind.
edit: I just played a game and aided a 2020 to victory with checkmate on my board lel. My opponent had so many pieces to block things with and forgot about them it seemed..
(edited 7 years ago)
I tried, and it was horrible. I hate bughouse, I think. I lose almost immediately, even against people who only slightly outclass me (or perhaps don't even outclass at me at all) in normal chess. Maybe I'll try to play some more games and see if it changes my mind.
edit: I just played a game and aided a 2020 to victory with checkmate on my board lel. My opponent had so many pieces to block things with and forgot about them it seemed..

Lol I played one game and had so many extra pieces but didn't drop a single one lol. Couldn't find a suitable time; it's a lot harder to use extra pieces than one might think. Luckily we still won though, but I have to say bughouse is not as fun as I thought, at least online. Bughouse OTB I remember was always fun.
Lol I played one game and had so many extra pieces but didn't drop a single one lol. Couldn't find a suitable time; it's a lot harder to use extra pieces than one might think. Luckily we still won though, but I have to say bughouse is not as fun as I thought, at least online. Bughouse OTB I remember was always fun.

Well the social and team element, which is a unique selling point of Bughouse (otherwise why not play Crazyhouse..), is certainly diluted by playing online.
https://www.chess.com/analysis-board-editor?diagram_id=3136324

Just played a super exciting attacking 30|0 game (I'm white). I was so pissed off when I completely screwed the earlier parts, getting too focused on the wrong things and playing loads of bad moves to completely turn the game from a strong advantage for me to a strong advantage for them. But then they got greedy going for the exchange (I enjoyed the calm and ominous 24. f5) I'm annoyed I made so many mistakes, but pleased by my attitude/grabbing of the initiative, I suppose. It's more satisfying to have like 10 sizeable errors but decent practical play in a game like this than to do nothing technically inaccurate in a lifeless position.

27. Nd5 is such a pretty move, also blocking the queen from any bothersome checks on the diagonal.
(edited 7 years ago)
https://www.chess.com/analysis-board-editor?diagram_id=3136324

Just played a super exciting attacking 30|0 game (I'm white). I was so pissed off when I completely screwed the earlier parts, getting too focused on the wrong things and playing loads of bad moves to completely turn the game from a strong advantage for me to a strong advantage for them. But then they got greedy going for the exchange (I enjoyed the calm and ominous 24. f5) I'm annoyed I made so many mistakes, but pleased by my attitude/grabbing of the initiative, I suppose. It's more satisfying to have like 10 sizeable errors but decent practical play in a game like this than to do nothing technically inaccurate in a lifeless position.

27. Nd5 is such a pretty move, also blocking the queen from any bothersome checks on the diagonal.

Are you up for playing another friendly sometime 13 or irrational?
Hallelujah. xD tactics.png

Original post by john2054
Are you up for playing another friendly sometime 13 or irrational?

Sure if you like although I'm getting a bit tired of proper games at current standard, hanging all my pieces and having no plans
Hallelujah. xD tactics.png

Sure if you like although I'm getting a bit tired of proper games at current standard, hanging all my pieces and having no plans

You will be a lot better than me if you have been doing all of this practice. I only play for fun!
You will be a lot better than me if you have been doing all of this practice. I only play for fun!

Nah I cannot apply myself, I always stress myself out and play moves I know are sub-par.
Nah I cannot apply myself, I always stress myself out and play moves I know are sub-par.

do u want to play now?
Try playing against a Mac Computer on maximum difficulty... It is literally impossible to win... but so much fun to try haha
do u want to play now?

Sure, if you like. Just was completely winning against a 1900 and resigned because I psyched myself out thinking I blundered mate in 1 when I didn't...such is my psychological strength.

Quick Reply

Latest