The Student Room Group

I want to change my A-Levels

I've only been doing my a-levels for two weeks but I'm already very very tired of two.

I'm doing:

English Lit, History, Philosophy and Gov&Politics. All of them are very writing based and I know I won't be able to keep up with all my essays and revision.

The ones I'm struggling with are English and History. I really want to switch to Psychology, but I'm quite embarrassed to do so because I'll have the same teacher as I do for History and I feel like he'll just me. I go to a private school so there's no one else in my classes either. They're just one on one and I'm nervous to admit to everyone that I couldn't handle these subjects.

Any advice?
Reply 1
Drop English lit for sure, I personally wouldn't recommend physcholoy with those subjects if you're already struggling since it's unrelated and difficult, taking history with government & politics and philosophy share a lot of the same skills and depending on what modules you're doing they might even have linking content. Which modules are you doing in history?
Reply 2
Original post by zayn008
Drop English lit for sure, I personally wouldn't recommend physcholoy with those subjects if you're already struggling since it's unrelated and difficult, taking history with government & politics and philosophy share a lot of the same skills and depending on what modules you're doing they might even have linking content. Which modules are you doing in history?

Industrialisation in the 18th century and German Dictatorship.
Reply 3
Original post by beepboopbeep
I've only been doing my a-levels for two weeks but I'm already very very tired of two.

I'm doing:

English Lit, History, Philosophy and Gov&Politics. All of them are very writing based and I know I won't be able to keep up with all my essays and revision.

The ones I'm struggling with are English and History. I really want to switch to Psychology, but I'm quite embarrassed to do so because I'll have the same teacher as I do for History and I feel like he'll just me. I go to a private school so there's no one else in my classes either. They're just one on one and I'm nervous to admit to everyone that I couldn't handle these subjects.

Any advice?

You're switching to psychology to get away from another essay based subject? If so... you're in for a surprise. A2 psychology is memorise like 40 essays and vomit out 3 in the exam.

Probably still easier than English/History though (if you have a good memory and would enjoy memorising loads of different names) and it's your choice, you can say that you don't like it and that you'll just end up not revising for it because of lack of motivation or something. They can't really hate you for changing. And 2 weeks isn't too late, but do it asap.
Hi!
I'm doing History, Biology and Psychology. I dropped English Lit, because, like you I found that I had too many essay writing subjects. I like biology because it is more factual. Psychology is really good but is also essay writing. Have you considered a science or maths, a subject where there is a definitive answer?
Reply 5
Industrialisation in the 18th century and German Dictatorship.

Not the most exciting, I can understand why you wouldn't enjoy this. Perhaps a talk with the teacher on doing a different module might be helpful since it's one to one?
Reply 6
Original post by zayn008
Not the most exciting, I can understand why you wouldn't enjoy this. Perhaps a talk with the teacher on doing a different module might be helpful since it's one to one?

I didn't get to pick; my teacher picked for me. :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Charlotte458
Hi!
I'm doing History, Biology and Psychology. I dropped English Lit, because, like you I found that I had too many essay writing subjects. I like biology because it is more factual. Psychology is really good but is also essay writing. Have you considered a science or maths, a subject where there is a definitive answer?

I would do a science/maths, but I'm not very good at the latter and I didn't do my GCSE in the former so I would be too far behind everyone else.
Reply 8
Original post by Wring
You're switching to psychology to get away from another essay based subject? If so... you're in for a surprise. A2 psychology is memorise like 40 essays and vomit out 3 in the exam.

Probably still easier than English/History though (if you have a good memory and would enjoy memorising loads of different names) and it's your choice, you can say that you don't like it and that you'll just end up not revising for it because of lack of motivation or something. They can't really hate you for changing. And 2 weeks isn't too late, but do it asap.

Yeah I agree that it's essay based, but all my other options look very bleak and I don't know what subjects don't include a ton of writing.
I would do a science/maths, but I'm not very good at the latter and I didn't do my GCSE in the former so I would be too far behind everyone else.

Ok, well I rally enjoy psychology and there are some other components other than just essay writing - have you looked up the syllabus? maybe a good thing to do.
Hey :smile: I've just begun AS and I started studying English literature, English language, History, and French. Yesterday I changed from French to Gov & Politics because every French lesson I went to I had a sense of impending doom XD I'm really glad I made this decision, but I talked to family members, teachers, etc. before I changed. You could talk to your teachers about the subjects, and about any worries you might have, and my school has a careers department, if your school has one talk to them or people in 6th form office. Also, I'm worried about the workload for English literature, and history too XD But I love the subjects, so for me it'll be worthwhile.
Also, don't worry about what other people think: It's your future, study subjects you enjoy :smile:
Original post by Charlotte458
Ok, well I rally enjoy psychology and there are some other components other than just essay writing - have you looked up the syllabus? maybe a good thing to do.

I think they've just changed the syllabus so I can't find the new version, but I do know a part of it is child development/psychology, which is something I'm really interested in. What sort of things did your psychology classes involve?
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not sure, but I think I might drop both History and English and do Psychology?? I know it's a big change, but I honestly feel like it's the right decision for me.

I'm doing:

Any advice?

If you're not happy- change. I just changed one of my subjects today! Trust me, otherwise you won't get as good as you could have because you didn't enjoy it- it's for two years! Most subjects haven't even properly started yet!
Original post by TheNerdxP
If you're not happy- change. I just changed one of my subjects today! Trust me, otherwise you won't get as good as you could have because you didn't enjoy it- it's for two years! Most subjects haven't even properly started yet!

Thank you. I think I'll do it tomorrow!!

Quick Reply

Latest